Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

I agree with in the evening - he's done. He's had years to record some home demos and ideas. By now I expected him to be jamming with some folk and bouncing ideas off them to see how the songs could be developed. He's still talking about noodling away in the house. He had at least two demos he premiered in It might get loud back in 2008 - 7 years ago!!! All I see him do these days, is collect awards and talk about the glory days. Either get some new music out there, or do a comprehensive set of live Zep releases, or retire. Rant over :)

Could someone tell me when this picture was? I don't know if it's anything to do with the topic, but I din't want to start a new thread for this:

12009833_490291194470910_629343572261996

It looks like Jimmy is shopping for something.

It is from Japanese morning Fuji TV, no idea where and when exactly,  looks like Jimmy is pondering something or other.

Now I am really Stoked!  

Can't fault you for your optimism.  After all miracles do happen.  Who would have thought that Curtis Mayfield would ever sing again after that lighting rig fell on him?
I do wish I could see things through your eyes.  All I can see is a guy who's said (and I'm paraphrasing) 'after July 31st I'll be concentrating on a new solo project', after a decade and a half of 'this time next year'.  And now, two and a half months later and despite 'having a plan' that he'd apparently put on hold to do the re-remasters, he still, in his own words, doesn't know what he's going to do yet.
Doesn't sound like the best thought out plan to me.
I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but I really don't think we'll see anything 'new'.  As for being 'seen to be playing'... well, we'll see.

How much is he even playing at home? There's been a handful of interviews where his wording sounded
as if he was barely even tinkering with it. Like it had been put up on the top shelf. I know he was busy
travelling around plugging the re-issues, but I noticed when he was handed that acoustic unexpectedly
a while back during an interview - his agility/dexterity in his fingers/wrists/hands seemed a bit stiff - even
for someone who had supposedly been noodling away in his home. Yes I'm setting aside it was likely a
homeless persons guitar found in a dumpster and obviously not catered to Jimmy's specifics - but looking
back I would wager that he wasn't playing even around the house much. Things could be different now that
the re-issues project is done, but I think he is long ways off from even playing in a coffee house, never mind
playing on an album and getting a tour ready to promote it. I try to be positive. I don't know the circumstances
though. He sounds very evasive about it even for Jimmy standards :lol: Power to Jimmy if he can make it
happen. And if not it's okay. Sometimes things work out a differently. I just hope he's not putting some kind of
pressure on himself trying to come up with something. I'm accepting either way.

Can't fault you for your optimism.  After all miracles do happen.  Who would have thought that Curtis Mayfield would ever sing again after that lighting rig fell on him?I do wish I could see things through your eyes.  All I can see is a guy who's said (and I'm paraphrasing) 'after July 31st I'll be concentrating on a new solo project', after a decade and a half of 'this time next year'.  And now, two and a half months later and despite 'having a plan' that he'd apparently put on hold to do the re-remasters, he still, in his own words, doesn't know what he's going to do yet.
Doesn't sound like the best thought out plan to me.
I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but I really don't think we'll see anything 'new'.  As for being 'seen to be playing'... well, we'll see.

It was sarcasm all the way.  ;)

Jimmy interviewed this week about his new project. Same old story. "Well into next year, now." It sounds miles off.

Yes I agree,it's really getting frustrating!! It would have to be extremely amazing to make up of 30 years of non-activity. Jimmy is by far the biggest waste of talent on the planet. This guy shut down in his prime which is so disheartening. I believe he retired years ago without telling any of us! Sad :(

Yes I agree,it's really getting frustrating!! It would have to be extremely amazing to make up of 30 years of non-activity. Jimmy is by far the biggest waste of talent on the planet. This guy shut down in his prime which is so disheartening. I believe he retired years ago without telling any of us! Sad :(

This maybe part of the problem.  Fans' expectations after such a long break.  People complain about legendary musicians tarnishing their legacies with sub-par releases, but maybe it's better to keep composing and recording even if the finished product is mediocre.  At least you stay in the habit of being a working musician that way.  

I remember after the Beatles broke up McCartney said part of the reason he put Wings together was that so he could stay "match fit". Anyway, I think Page is scared of tarnishing his legacy with a stinker of an album. As Disco Duck says, because of the huge lay off, the expectations will be sky high. It's just gone on way too long and he should stop being cryptic and just say if it's going to happen or not. I think his fans deserve that. If he's just stringing us along to generate mystique, then it is a bit churlish. I hope he's not and is genuinely baffled about how to approach his last(?) album.

Does Jimmy have a public relations team or person that advises him on how to sell his brand?
I know he can speak for himself when it comes to his career, but I would think at the very least
a different approach would or could be taken when talking about making new music / playing live.

I watch these interviews and while I like  love hearing him speak about future projects - my head
says otherwise, because we're going around in this repetitive circle. If new music or even simply
playing in public is no longer attainable, then whose brain child idea is it to keep teasing otherwise?

He has stated he needs to get back into playing shape. That statement alone makes 2016 seem
very unrealistic for putting out new music. Would he even be at a point in 2016 of getting up at a small
venue? I don't play guitar, so I don't have a imaginary timetable in my head of how long it would take him.
I'm not expecting to re-do the 1970's in 2016 where he dusts off the poppies and dragons and plays 3.5
hours at a 90,000 seat stadium, but maybe a song or two at a small scaled down place with Robert.. or
JPJ or even Bonzo Jr  whoever. The only thing I do believe is Jimmy is sober and healthy, last thing needed
is him falling off the wagon because of pressure.
I don't know I'm just tossing thoughts around about something
clearly I don't have answers on

I remember after the Beatles broke up McCartney said part of the reason he put Wings together was that so he could stay "match fit". Anyway, I think Page is scared of tarnishing his legacy with a stinker of an album. As Disco Duck says, because of the huge lay off, the expectations will be sky high. It's just gone on way too long and he should stop being cryptic and just say if it's going to happen or not. I think his fans deserve that. If he's just stringing us along to generate mystique, then it is a bit churlish. I hope he's not and is genuinely baffled about how to approach his last(?) album.

A music writer who covered the O2 reunion concert reported that Page played reasonably well, but was obviously exhausted at the end of the concert.  He was drenched with sweat and had to be helped down the stairs.  Seeing how much the concert took out of him, the writer wondered if a Led Zeppelin reunion would even be possible.  He had his doubts that Page could physically handle playing full concerts on a regular basis.  

Disco Duck oh I did not know that. He'll be 72 and while Jimmy looks the aging rocker part perfectly
with his little silver pony tail a grueling tour and writing an album that he'd want living up to L Z caliber
would be so taxing. I think if there had been a few more solo projects under Jimmy's belt in the late 90's
and something early 2000's, along with some more live playing, it could have made the idea of  making a
solo album in 2015 easier to approach. The long 27 year break yikes. I think the way Robert has gone about it
has been smart.  Keeping his foot in the door. Now he is having fun just doing stuff with Alison K or whoever
without feeling he has to live up to Zeppelin status. The music he is doing may not be everyones cup of tea,
but meh *shrugs* he already proved he could make music that will be iconic - and so has Jimmy. Jimmy just
wants to prove he can do it again. It's likely a monkey on Jimmy's back. 

Does Jimmy have a public relations team or person that advises him on how to sell his brand?

I think that goes against anything behind the integrity of Zeppelin.   Robert has always refused any part of that and kinda sure Jimmy too with some things.  Zeppelin sells itself and does not need some corporate whigs with fancy ideas or round-table suggestions how to market Zeppelin.   Although I'm not happy Jimmy signed some stupid contract with Gibson and it forbade him to use other guitars during the O2 performance.   Jimmy has done enough for Gibson that he has to use only their guitar ? Fuck Gibson..bla

The studio is a very forgiving place; the stage is not. Given his age and live nerves, the studio is where his focus should be. Get some versatile session guys in there and get recording. See what happens - it's not rocket science. He makes it sound like he's preparing to fly to the moon. It's only an album.

A music writer who covered the O2 reunion concert reported that Page played reasonably well, but was obviously exhausted at the end of the concert.  He was drenched with sweat and had to be helped down the stairs.  Seeing how much the concert took out of him, the writer wondered if a Led Zeppelin reunion would even be possible.  He had his doubts that Page could physically handle playing full concerts on a regular basis.  

Do you happen to have a link or name of the writer, DD?  I saw Jimmy for the three nights in NY when he played with the Black Crowes and he was drenched each night. I saw Jonesy then, too (four concerts in five nights, what a week!) and he was dripping as well. It's hot under those lights.

All the more so for a show of the magnitude and scale of the O2. It was, after all, such an emotionally taxing concert for all of them and there was so much pressure to pull it off - ONE chance to get right is an incredible weight, and did they ever get it right! So it wouldn't surprise me that Jimmy was exhausted, but needing help down the stairs is surprising. He looked in fine spirits and sprightly getting off the stage, after all...

Watch any live show of Zeppelin, where it's towards the end of the show. Even back in 1973 (arguably Jimmy's peak of playing), he is drenched. Stairway To Heaven on the 2003 dvd (Earls Court), Page is also drenched. He has always sweated on stage.

I will be amazed if he ever records another note or plays live again other than guest appearances.

And so what, he owes us nothing.

He doesn't owe us anything, but I think it's churlish to repeatedly tell fans for years he's going to do something and he doesn't. 

I am almost afraid of posting but here goes. What puzzles me in the wider context is the list of musicians who have continued even when they have suffered or are in recovery from serious health issues such as Elton John, David Bowie, Tony Iommi, Wilko Johnson. Phil Collins is even coming back.

Kate Bush disappears for years at a time but you feel she is creating something even in the down periods.

However I can only think of one artist whose decision really threw me and that is the retirement of Noddy Holder from music. He is still involved in the industry but the performance and singing side is over and he told everyone up front and stuck to his decision. Even Robert Plant has mentioned this in an interview and wanted Noddy to get back to singing.

I think the comments on Jimmy Page will carry on regardless as in the context of his contemporaries and the talent he so obviously possesses his situation is highly unusual.

At his age Jimmy is perfectly entitled to retire, but the silly thing is he goes on and on about something being in the works. I remember following his website sometime in 2005 or 2007 and it was the same thing: next year. If we think about his ability to play, it was fine in 2007, and still fine in 2008 when on stage with JPJ and Foo Fighters. John Mclaughlin and Andy Summers (of The Police) are his age and are still out playing. It's possible. My view is that Jimmy should get new people to work with, take a risk, fumble, learn something new, to hell with reputation. Life and music are bigger than that. The "quite different direction" is a good idea, the right idea IMO, but for whatever reason he's not doing it.

Archived