Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

Page could save the day and keep this band alive, if he aligned himself with them. His body of work in The Yardbirds was stellar. Of course, this is my opinion only, but I do believe it would be the perfect venue for Jimmy. 

I can't think of anything he'd be less inclined to do than save the remnants of The Yardbirds...again.

Interesting. Why is it though, that Jimmy has never threw himself into Yardbirds projects
the way he has with Zeppelin? I know it's apples to oranges. Zeppelin is the baby he craddles
while the Yardbirds is not. (I suppose I just answered my question) Still though it would be
something to see him work with them again since it appears his days of working with Robert
or Jones is over. I don't know his relationship with the former Yardbird's, so mayber that plays
a part.

Interesting. Why is it though, that Jimmy has never threw himself into Yardbirds projects
the way he has with Zeppelin? I know it's apples to oranges. Zeppelin is the baby he craddles
while the Yardbirds is not. (I suppose I just answered my question) Still though it would be
something to see him work with them again since it appears his days of working with Robert
or Jones is over. I don't know his relationship with the former Yardbird's, so mayber that plays
a part.

In my opinion he is justifiably proud of being in the Yardbirds but it's not a situation he'd want to repeat.  Since the Yardbirds broke up he's gone places musically that that band was simply not capable of going.  If he has something new to say musically I can't imagine that's the vehicle he'd use to say it.

The Yardbird mentions got me curious, so I went to wiki to see who was currently classified
as a "Yardbird" in 2015. I knew Beck, Jimmy and Clapton were long gone and Relf has past
away, but I thought maybe 2 "original" members would be in this line-up in order to classify
them as the Yb's. I did not expect it to be McCarty and a few guys from my side of the Atlantic.
I can't imagine Jimmy ever calling a band Led Zeppelin unless it got as close to the original
as you could get. Plant, Jones and himself. 

The Yardbird mentions got me curious, so I went to wiki to see who was currently classified
as a "Yardbird" in 2015. I knew Beck, Jimmy and Clapton were long gone and Relf has past
away, but I thought maybe 2 "original" members would be in this line-up in order to classify
them as the Yb's. I did not expect it to be McCarty and a few guys from my side of the Atlantic.
I can't imagine Jimmy ever calling a band Led Zeppelin unless it got as close to the original
as you could get. Plant, Jones and himself. 

Top Topham, the current guitarist, is the true original Yardbirds guitarist; he pre-dates the other three, so he is an original member. Chris Dreja fell ill, but had been with the band from the beginning, until recently. His status is uncertain, buy you never know. 

If if he was to return, and if Dreja came backdrop his medical issues, that would be 3 of the 4 members that he played with; Relf, died years ago. When Page was in the band, it was a 4some. 

Top Topham, the current guitarist, is the true original Yardbirds guitarist; he pre-dates the other three, so he is an original member. Chris Dreja fell ill, but had been with the band from the beginning, until recently. His status is uncertain, buy you never know. 

If if he was to return, and if Dreja came backdrop his medical issues, that would be 3 of the 4 members that he played with; Relf, died years ago. When Page was in the band, it was a 4some. 

Thanks T D L :)
I did not know Top Topham was the original guitarist and that Chris Dreja was
still with them up until his recent illness. I learn something new on this Zep site
every day haha!

Thanks T D L :)
I did not know Top Topham was the original guitarist and that Chris Dreja was
still with them up until his recent illness. I learn something new on this Zep site
every day haha!

You are welcome. The Yardbirds are well worth exploring, especially for the latter Jimmy Page stuff.  

I like the idea of Page reuniting with the Yardbirds. It sounds right for him, although I don't delve into his persona as much as many of you do. I know they still tour, and obviously have always had various members that come and go. Do they still put out albums, and are they creating new songs? That might be the issue with Page being accepted back in. Although I don't see a problem with just digging up some forgotten blues numbers, and adding the power and heaviness touch. Maybe the current Yardbirds do alright getting attendance to shows, but they could be doing bigger shows with Page on board - regardless of whether he is upfront and taking most of the leads (he wouldn't), or just being one of the interactive pieces. People just want to hear the old, familiar stuff for the most part, anyway. There are a few superfans who dream of something totally new and different, like some here - but they could make most concert attendees very happy just pulling out mostly original Yardbirds tunes, a few Zep or crossover Zep/Birds tunes, and then fill in the rest with reworked blues covers. Pretty easy for all. 

If Jimmy would provide both lead guitarist and lead vocalist, could that have perhaps helped out
with his solo projects? I would think being able to do both would be a major bonus for a guitarist
wanting to make solo album. Maybe he can envision the guitar parts but is having difficulty with
the vocal part and finding a voice that suits his music? I know he sang moons ago "She Just Satisfies Me"
and has provided backing vocals on some Zep songs and what not. Then again Jimmy is the shy
type and the idea of him singing lead in a concert would likely send out the invitation to Jack Daniels
before during and after the gig. Ha-ha.:lol:

That reminds me - I wonder why in Zeppelin Robert was the only one to provide the lead vocals in
every song? Other groups of course have a lead vocalist but sometimes others have a go at more
then just providing backing vocals. I'm trying to picture a '77 'smacky' Page singing lead nodding off
and all that.:wacko::blink: Hell it would have been a circus on the stage.

I don't know his relationship with the former Yardbird's, so maybe that plays a part.

He's still friends with Dreja and McCarty, and even went to a gig or two many years ago, but there's a lot of water under the bridge. I've already posted about this before...just search it...but for one thing, in 2000 he offered to do a remaster of the Anderson Theater concert. However, The Yardbirds refused because they don't want Jimmy Page to come away with a producer's credit on a Yardbirds release. On the other hand, the last thing Page wants is to join their band again. Call it a clash of egos, or whatever. 

^ Well, now you are getting into some things that the average person wouldn't be thinking that deeply about - producer's credits and such... However, looking up some videos of recent Yardbirds performances, with Top Topham - they sound fantastic. Nothing technically astounding, or groundbreaking, but a tight group that has good groove and does just enough to be interesting. If Page were able to get himself in performing shape, this would be the perfect vehicle to ease back in, then possibly take off a little if he feels comfortable - and still has the chops.

There was some note in one of the videos that Topham stopped touring with the Yardbirds in May 2015.

If Page were able to get himself in performing shape, this would be the perfect vehicle to ease back in, then possibly take off a little if he feels comfortable - and still has the chops.

It would be a giant step backward, and no one involved would be thrilled about performing Led Zeppelin songs together.

^ You think he is bigger or better than this, now? What do you think of the current Yardbirds, do they have a lead guitarist that can generate interest? Why wouldn't they play some crossover Zep/Birds stuff? What would be the big deal laying down the background for Page to perform SIBLY here and there? I'm interested in your insight. I know I haven't joined these type discussions frequently, but once in a while one grabs my attention.

^ You think he is bigger or better than this, now? What do you think of the current Yardbirds, do they have a lead guitarist that can generate interest? Why wouldn't they play some crossover Zep/Birds stuff? What would be the big deal laying down the background for Page to perform SIBLY here and there? I'm interested in your insight. I know I haven't joined these type discussions frequently, but once in a while one grabs my attention.

Well, personally I believe Jimmy Page is done and The Yardbirds little more than Chris Dreja's Yardbirds Experience. Mind you, The Yardbirds have some talented guys in their lineup and put on a good show but my analogy seems to fit. Page could achieve everything with group of unknowns that he could achieve with The Yardbirds without the baggage of being in Dreja's band. May as well form Jimmy Page's Led Zeppelin Experience for that matter, if he's going to stay living in the past, artistically speaking. No, as I said, when the Jimmy, JPJ & Jason lineup went nowhere in 2008 that was really and truly the end. It's over and no amount of five minute jams will ever convince me otherwise.  

Top Topham left last December and was supposed to be replaced for the current lineup by John Idan - but there's a guy called Johnny A in his place now.
Chris Dreja had a stroke as far as I recall, so the chances of his return are very slim.

Edited to add:  Chris Dreja has had a series of strokes - not just one.   The Yardbirds is currently a revolving door Jim McCarty 'all-stars' band.
The 'all stars' bit depends on your perspective of course.  I've not heard of any of them other than McCarty.

I realize a number of  these topics on the board would die off if Jimmy said he was retiring, but when
he speaks to the media it always sparks up the "Solo ideas or group ideas for Jimmy Page" threads.
That's okay because fans like myself and other newbies can learn some Zeppelin info. Thanks a lot

:thanku:
With that being said I have to ask.. In 2008 there was an attempt to go out and tour with Jimmy, Jones
and Bonzo Jr - without Plant was it going to be called Led Zeppelin, or a Zeppelin experience? I ask
because of the vocal area. I read the project was flushed sadly because they came up with nada in the
vocal department. That's where I wonder if one of the three were willing to sing...could it have made a
difference in going forward? I am sure other stuff prevented it from moving, but finding a singer to gel
with the music seemed to be the main pain in the ass for them.

Were they looking for a Plant clone in the vocal department or something different altogether? I could
see this being a fork in the road for Jimmy and Jones on who would be the best fit. Jimmy having a prop
long curly blonde wig all ready while Jones shakes his head. Haha
:hysterical:   No?!?! :huh:

Not heard of him. Anything you can point me at to have a listen to?

hey Woz70. I can't post links from my phone, but just type his name into YouTube and you'll find some great stuff. 

a frIend of mine, who I play in a band with and is an incredible keyboard player was in a band with him in the mid 80s.

Archived