Led Zeps Musical Heritage; Jimmy Pages Influences

JimmyRollins

Hey guys

I've been a long time lurker here. Something i've always wondered is Jimmy pages early blues playing is quite unique in that it's hard to trace

his most revered influences. I'd love to get some of the more learned and experience Led Zep fans input.

Where does Page get his wonderful phrasing and those country licks. The aforementioned James Burton, Scotty Moore, Buddy Guy, Davy Graham etc are his often quoted favourites but they dont seem to hit the nail on the head. I'm constantly looking for new guitarists and musicians to listen to. I hear Mike Bloomfield may have been an influence? BB king?

I'd love to learn about any of the bands influences including Robert and the gang. Who did Robert idolise? Sleepy John Estes and John le hooker seem to be stand outs. Sam cooke?

I hear JPJ was obsessed with James Jamerson and Charlie Mingus.

Its not something that's much talked about. Where these guys learned and mastered there skills. Including rare Arabic and Indian albums that they may have feasted on?!

Looking forward to see what you guys think and i might compile a list of some srt

Hey guys

I've been a long time lurker here. Something i've always wondered is Jimmy pages early blues playing is quite unique in that it's hard to trace

his most revered influences. I'd love to get some of the more learned and experience Led Zep fans input.

Where does Page get his wonderful phrasing and those country licks. The aforementioned James Burton, Scotty Moore, Buddy Guy, Davy Graham etc are his often quoted favourites but they dont seem to hit the nail on the head. I'm constantly looking for new guitarists and musicians to listen to. I hear Mike Bloomfield may have been an influence? BB king?

Its not something that's much talked about. Where these guys learned and mastered there skills. Including rare Arabic and Indian albums that they may have feasted on?!

Looking forward to see what you guys think and i might compile a list of some srt

There's some background here http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/13799-july-1977-jimmy-page-interview/?hl=%2Bjimmy+%2Bpage+%2Binfluences

Archived