The Cult

Charles J. White

Dude...me too! As soon as I hear the tune Rain, it mentally takes me back to my early 20's...bar hopping in the east village of NY , little to no cares but to have a great time and keep the party going.

Edited by zepscoda

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/3/2015 at 11:58 AM, geekfreak said:

which album is the best one...for me its LOVE...

I actually knew a chick when I was in high school who was a year older, next grade up, and I remember her telling me how she loved shagging to that album - I often think of that chick and wonder what was going on in her...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Saw the Cult at Sheffield Leadmill in May 1984 when they were still playing stuff like Christians in among the Dreamtime songs. They started with 83rd Dream and the most dry ice I've ever seen! Then again at the Leadmill in September that same year, when Resurrection Joe came out. Nigel Preston played fantastic tribal drums at both gigs, shame they had to ditch him. Saw them next at the Octagon in November '85 on the Love tour - the barrier collapsed at the front of the stage and Duffy told a few yarns while it was fixed! That was a really good gig - even if it did finish so late, I had to walk the 8 miles home! In hindsight, the mix of rock, post-punk and 60's psych elements they'd got at that time was almost a proto-grunge thing - same elements, different outcome. Last saw them on the Electric tour in March '87 - by which point they were almost a straight rock band. Duffy used some of his old guitar sound, so the new songs weren't quite as stark as they sounded on the album, but there were a group of punkers off to the right of me boggling at the guitar solos and wondering what the hell had happened! Astbury kept announcing songs in a fake American accent, which wound em up even more! Brilliant. Anyhow, them's my Cult yarns.

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

Saw the Cult at Sheffield Leadmill in May 1984 when they were still playing stuff like Christians in among the Dreamtime songs. They started with 83rd Dream and the most dry ice I've ever seen! Then again at the Leadmill in September that same year, when Resurrection Joe came out. Nigel Preston played fantastic tribal drums at both gigs, shame they had to ditch him. Saw them next at the Octagon in November '85 on the Love tour - the barrier collapsed at the front of the stage and Duffy told a few yarns while it was fixed! That was a really good gig - even if it did finish so late, I had to walk the 8 miles home! In hindsight, the mix of rock, post-punk and 60's psych elements they'd got at that time was almost a proto-grunge thing - same elements, different outcome. Last saw them on the Electric tour in March '87 - by which point they were almost a straight rock band. Duffy used some of his old guitar sound, so the new songs weren't quite as stark as they sounded on the album, but there were a group of punkers off to the right of me boggling at the guitar solos and wondering what the hell had happened! Astbury kept announcing songs in a fake American accent, which wound em up even more! Brilliant. Anyhow, them's my Cult yarns.

If you like tribal drums  check out this sweet tune:

Yeh, good one - not at all how I'd've expected the Cult to sound in 2016. Those lead lines are instantly recognisable as Duffy's - very similar to the stuff he played pre-Electric, even if the sound and context is different. Cheers for this!