Noel Gallagher on Jimmy Page

georgio

For those who may not want to read the whole article, here's the comments on Page:

I mean, as much as I love Jimmy Page—and I fuckin’ love Jimmy Page, as a guitarist and a guy, he’s a fuckin’ brilliant, brilliant man—all he ever does is fuckin’ remaster Led Zeppelin records. D’you know what I mean? Fuck me! Get a job!

Lyrically I can look back from time to time—you can look back in a song, like “The Dying of the Light,” for instance —you can take on a character in a song that’s looking back, but me personally, I’m already halfway through recording my next album. I mean, as much as I love Jimmy Page—and I fuckin’ love Jimmy Page, as a guitarist and a guy, he’s a fuckin’ brilliant, brilliant man—all he ever does is fuckin’ remaster Led Zeppelin records. D’you know what I mean? Fuck me! Get a job!

This is how many see it.

For those who may not want to read the whole article, here's the comments on Page:

I mean, as much as I love Jimmy Page—and I fuckin’ love Jimmy Page, as a guitarist and a guy, he’s a fuckin’ brilliant, brilliant man—all he ever does is fuckin’ remaster Led Zeppelin records. D’you know what I mean? Fuck me! Get a job!

Agree with everything he said, save for the last statement.

The preservation of the Led Zeppelin legacy IS his job

As much as I disliked the Gallagher brothers in the 90s, I find Noel's recent interviews quite humorous.

He can also be an exceptionally good songwriter at times. Haven't heard any of his solos stuff so far but I might give it a whirl.

One has to read the whole article to get the context in which this was said, that being Noel has a new solo album out (his second) and is halfway thru working on a third.

Imagine if someone else was remastering the Led Zeppelin albums, then people would say "That Jimmy Page is so lazy, he didn't even want to do the remasters for Led Zeppelin". I think JP is probably rich enough to do whatever he wants when he gets up in the morning. The fact he has chosen to remaster the Led Zeppelin albums and release some new material with deluxe editions is all good to me.

Noel Gallagher, as much as i love him, has never and will never, produce anything

musically that will have 1/10th of the impact culturally and musically that Jimmy page

had in his productive phase. Jimmy's real tragedy is that he produced his finest work in one

orgasmic rush then burnt out. Plus Noel wants to attach himself to the hoo-ha around P.G.

He has a new album out hadn't you heard?

Funny I am not a fan of Noel Gallagher but he has a valid point. If Jimmy hadn't said time and time again he has new material and he wants to get back on stage, then I would disagree with him. Having said that Jimmy is 71 and if he was just a run of the mill bloke then many people would say "why don't you retire?" I personally feel that, and it has been mentioned many many times on this forum, a series of live performances, not unlike the Paris 69 show, would have been a better bet than releasing the back catalogue (again)

I can't help feeling Jimmy Page's vision simply was Led Zeppelin. It is all he really wanted to do. They did it and I feel musically at the time they did it all. Plenty of comparisons to other guitarists, but how many of them also had the acoustic guitar down to such a high level or drew from such a variety of influences? Few I can think of.

I guess it could seem sad he had no obvious direction after LZ but that was his dream and he and the rest of the band had already accomplished it. Thinking of it that way I'm not surprised at this time in life he is concentrating on the legacy of the band.

One thing I would like to see him do is a good quality guitar workshop set of DVDs, it would help pass the 'baton' to another generation of new guitarists and I think would be pure gold dust. I can't remember how many times I've watched the handful of chord progressions and riffs on 'It might get loud' over and over, he's totally captivating in that sort of environment.

I agree with Noel, and the context it was said and how it was said

We will see what Noel can do with his badly recorded, compressed to hell back catalogue

when he is 71 assuming anyone's interested. People should cut Jimmy some slack

he produced 10 yrs of masterpieces and creatively the well is dry. What is he supposed to do

sit at home watching television? Incidentally I own everything Oasis recorded and have no axe to

grind.Noel however, is forever pontificating about the music industry and that he and Weller are the only

"geniuses" in it.

We will see what Noel can do with his badly recorded, compressed to hell back catalogue

when he is 71 assuming anyone's interested. People should cut Jimmy some slack

he produced 10 yrs of masterpieces and creatively the well is dry. What is he supposed to do

sit at home watching television? Incidentally I own everything Oasis recorded and have no axe to

grind.Noel however, is forever pontificating about the music industry and that he and Weller are the only

"geniuses" in it.

Wow,I happen to think Page's Coverdale Page is as good as Zeppelin so I don't think he had just 10 years. Plus I think Walking into Clarksdale was amazing.

I'm kind of glad he had the time to do Jimmy Page by Jimmy page, that must have been a hell of a lot of work. I love it, my copy is among my most prized of possessions. I'm not much of a materialistic person either, so I guess that says something.

I think the solo project and playing live thing is almost a guilt thing isn't it? In his position wouldn't you think it is what the fans desperately wanted? The fact it doesn't materialize probably should be a message that his heart is not in it.

well I am puzzled by his reluctance to do some offered work with Robert Plant a while back...I am not sure why he has stuck to the curating to such a degree...also as I have been shouted at before for saying- I am not sure these remasters are THAT much better than 94 Honestly I still play the 4 disc boxed set more than anything- from 90..I'll buy the remasters if I can grab em at 9 dollars but..well It is all personal preference i never liked elaborate books and prints and things jacking up prices so even if I had turntable it is not realistic for me...glad people are enjoying them but not sure if it is legacy or $ related puttting these out like this.

I can only speak for myself..personally he should have reached out to Jimmy in private..just my opinion. With that said I would only want Jimmy back on a stage if his heart is into it. I have stated many times that I would love to see an acoustic set at smaller venues. I still have hope that he will. It is disappointing to hear him say next year (and many years go by).

He does not need a singer. Look at Jeff Beck is all I can say. God knows I love Led Zeppelin and they are my band for sure, but I have enjoyed JPJ and Roberts solo music as well. And The Firm ..it goes without saying on my part that they were awesome. Loved Coverdale/Page and Outrider as well.

I fully support the remasters and enjoy them tremendously. This is another way of Jimmy's preserving the legacy IMHO. But, by Robert and Jonesy being out there and keeping the name alive also deserves respect! (no matter what they do solo it is always associated with Led Zeppelin) :peace:

Yes the above posts articulate much better than I did but i agree completely...My guess is Robert's reaching out became public after Jimmy said he was "fed up" when in fact there was openess to trying something-probably new together...JPJ is a wild card and i really don't know where he stands but, yes we should enjoy all we have been given and appreciate things as they are.

Hi ksgemini!

Nothing wrong with your post at all:-) I have scoured to try and find anything new with JPJ although I am sure Sam would be the first to let us know. He is the wild card for sure..He never ceases to amaze me and I hope we have some news from him soon. Robert never slows down! It has been great to see Jimmy out and promoting the remasters..and I hold out hope for him to be on a stage playing. Until then, I am happy to just enjoy the music we have :peace:

Noel Gallagher, as much as i love him, has never and will never, produce anything

musically that will have 1/10th of the impact culturally and musically that Jimmy page

had in his productive phase. Jimmy's real tragedy is that he produced his finest work in one

orgasmic rush then burnt out. Plus Noel wants to attach himself to the hoo-ha around P.G.

He has a new album out hadn't you heard?

^This.

P.S. Someone get that guy some tweezers, that unibrow is out of control!

P.S. Someone get that guy some tweezers, that unibrow is out of control!

:lol:

When your eyebrows become more bushy than is socially acceptable. Derived from the large eyebrows of Noel and Liam Gallagher.
Guy 1: Dude, your brows are fucking massive man, you've totally got Gallagher Brows

Guy 2: Totally don't

Guy 3: Dude, you've totally got Gallagher Brows

Listening to oasis is like listening to someone rake their fingernails across a blackboard.

I don't mind Oasis or care one way or another about them. Noel Gallagher is a gifted songwriter. But he's 47 and is in the prime years ... Great. Jimmy is 71 and if he hasn't earned the right to do what he wants .. Nobody has. Yeah .. He has a nerve to say he wants to play.. He has gall to remaster the Zeppelin catalog for the 2nd time in 21 years. I get it. What nerve... Change the record guys.. It's boring.

Archived