Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
luvlz2

David Gilmour

Recommended Posts

Strider   
37 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Wonder if Strider went to the book signing and what he thought of the concert...

Couldn't make the book signing and am going to David Gilmour's second night at the Hollywood Bowl tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   

Any youtube videos are being taken down immediately, within a minute of being posted.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walter   
9 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Any youtube videos are being taken down immediately, within a minute of being posted.

So not only is Gilmour once again only playing a handful of cities, and screwing over his fans in the process, his management is preventing anyone seeing his performances too?!?  I guess Gilmour is hurting since he's not performing under the Pink Floyd brand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   
2 hours ago, Walter said:

So not only is Gilmour once again only playing a handful of cities, and screwing over his fans in the process, his management is preventing anyone seeing his performances too?!?  I guess Gilmour is hurting since he's not performing under the Pink Floyd brand.

Yeah, I'm totally bummed he is only doing 3 U.S. cities. I did find some video over at vimeo, here ya go: https://vimeo.com/160430958

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strider   
On 3/26/2016 at 8:03 AM, luvlz2 said:

Any youtube videos are being taken down immediately, within a minute of being posted.

You think that is harsh? Last night I went to Dave Chapelle's show at the Hollywood Palladium and they weren't allowing any cellphones. If you had a cellphone then you had to put your phone in a locked and sealed pouch before you could enter the venue. After the concert was over they would unlock the pouch.

19 hours ago, Walter said:

So not only is Gilmour once again only playing a handful of cities, and screwing over his fans in the process, his management is preventing anyone seeing his performances too?!?  I guess Gilmour is hurting since he's not performing under the Pink Floyd brand.

Hurting in what way? The three LA shows (2 Hollywood Bowl, 1 Forum) sold out in a flash so you cannot mean hurting financially.

As for the David Gilmour concert I saw Friday night, it was a pleasant enough evening. If you have seen Pink Floyd then you already know what to expect. Good sound and light show, lots of film and animation visuals, not much personal interaction or movement by the musicians. The way they incorporated the Hollywood Bowl's stage design into the visuals was creative.

Two sets with an intermission and a three song encore added up to a three hour show. 7 songs from his new album, one from "On an Island", and a bunch of the usual Pink Floyd nuggets. I was hoping to hear "Fearless" but he didn't play it...but it was nice to hear "Fat Old Sun".

Alas, the people who had seen Gilmour the night before were buzzing about David Crosby's appearance on a few songs so there was hope we might get Crosby again or maybe another special guest, but it was not to be.

In the long run, I am glad I went, especially since old rock musicians are dropping like flies so you better see them while you still can. But I wouldn't put it with the Pink Floyd shows I saw in the 1970s. And compared with the energetic and passionate concerts by Johnny Marr and Bruce Springsteen I have seen this year, there ultimately is something staid about a David Gilmour show. It is all a little too placid. Which was my problem with Pink Floyd towards the end, too.

David still plays great, though. Better than the last Jeff Beck show I saw, that is for sure.

Edited by Strider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walter   
1 hour ago, Strider said:

 

Hurting in what way? The three LA shows (2 Hollywood Bowl, 1 Forum) sold out in a flash so you cannot mean hurting financially.

C'mon Sean, I was just kidding, obviously Gilmour has a ton of money already.  I don't have a clue why they'd take down videos when he is playing so few shows, that probably are all sold-out.  Chapelle makes sense, somewhat.  A comedy set is a bit different than a musician, IMO.  Glad you had a pretty good time and that you've had a good run of shows!  

:peace: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walter   

I guess I'd better watch those videos before they're pulled by David's management.  Thanks for posting 'em! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   
5 minutes ago, Walter said:

I guess I'd better watch those videos before they're pulled by David's management.  Thanks for posting 'em! :) 

I'm downloading them now, lol. :D I will send you a pm with a link that may interest you.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IpMan   

it is a real shame David is not performing more shows in the states, however we all need to understand he is no spring chicken. These musicians from Gilmour's era are all in their late 60's & early 70's, so it makes sense that if they do perform it is a very truncated version compared to their heyday. 

Perspective needs to me made, the fact that Gilmour and his contemporaries are even still performing live is a miracle in and of itself. As Strider said, enjoy it while you can, this generation of musicians will likely all be gone, or at least no longer performing, within 10 years. Robert's globetrotting is amazing and I am for one very glad for it for it will become rare. Excuse me while I get a tissue, the thought of this sucks beyond my current emotional threshold. A golden age of music passes...life continues on, a shade of its former glory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walter   
17 hours ago, IpMan said:

it is a real shame David is not performing more shows in the states, however we all need to understand he is no spring chicken. These musicians from Gilmour's era are all in their late 60's & early 70's, so it makes sense that if they do perform it is a very truncated version compared to their heyday. 

Perspective needs to me made, the fact that Gilmour and his contemporaries are even still performing live is a miracle in and of itself. As Strider said, enjoy it while you can, this generation of musicians will likely all be gone, or at least no longer performing, within 10 years. Robert's globetrotting is amazing and I am for one very glad for it for it will become rare. Excuse me while I get a tissue, the thought of this sucks beyond my current emotional threshold. A golden age of music passes...life continues on, a shade of its former glory.

I fully agree....but 3 cities?!?  At least get in the 5-10 range.  No need for touring for months on end at that age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   

Wonder if Nick Mason will make an appearance at some point and join David on stage.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TypeO   

One of my favorite David Gilmour tunes - still on my phone.
I sometimes play it for people who don't know about it and they always think it's some Pink Floyd they were unaware of, LOL.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   

^^Got me a pair of tickets. Suppose it would be nice if he did a tour to coincide with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   

^^Really looking forward to seeing this at the movie theater, this is going to be good!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Walter   
On 5/31/2017 at 10:04 PM, luvlz2 said:

^^Got me a pair of tickets. Suppose it would be nice if he did a tour to coincide with this.

Problem is he only plays like 3-4 cities in the U.S. anymore.  I'm gonna check to see if this is playing in my area.  Thanks for the heads up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   

Directed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis, the video was shot at the Brighton Centre in the UK, just prior to the first concert in David Gilmour's "Rattle That Lock 2015-16" tour. The clip features some of David's great touring band: David Gilmour (guitar/vocals), Phil Manzanera (guitar/vocals), Guy Pratt (bass/vocals), Jon Carin (keyboards/guitar/vocals), Steve DiStanislao (drums/vocals), Kevin McAlea (keyboards) and Louise Clare Marshall and Bryan Chambers (backing vocals).

source

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   

"Faces Of Stone" is a reflection on mortality and the cycle of life, while the video, directed by Aubrey Powell of Hipgnosis, combines footage of David filmed at his Medina studio with archive footage featuring the Ukrainian born and celebrated surrealist filmmaker Maya Deren (1917-1961). For more on Maya Deren, go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Deren

source

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luvlz2   
On 3/27/2016 at 1:37 PM, Strider said:

As for the David Gilmour concert I saw Friday night, it was a pleasant enough evening. If you have seen Pink Floyd then you already know what to expect. Good sound and light show, lots of film and animation visuals, not much personal interaction or movement by the musicians. The way they incorporated the Hollywood Bowl's stage design into the visuals was creative.

Two sets with an intermission and a three song encore added up to a three hour show. 7 songs from his new album, one from "On an Island", and a bunch of the usual Pink Floyd nuggets. I was hoping to hear "Fearless" but he didn't play it...but it was nice to hear "Fat Old Sun".

Alas, the people who had seen Gilmour the night before were buzzing about David Crosby's appearance on a few songs so there was hope we might get Crosby again or maybe another special guest, but it was not to be.

In the long run, I am glad I went, especially since old rock musicians are dropping like flies so you better see them while you still can. But I wouldn't put it with the Pink Floyd shows I saw in the 1970s. And compared with the energetic and passionate concerts by Johnny Marr and Bruce Springsteen I have seen this year, there ultimately is something staid about a David Gilmour show. It is all a little too placid. Which was my problem with Pink Floyd towards the end, too.

David still plays great, though. Better than the last Jeff Beck show I saw, that is for sure.

Thanks for posting your review! I'm glad "Live In Pompeii" is coming to theaters since I wasn't able to catch the tour last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×