Is it easy to play the guitar

Freeyyaa

I sometimes wonder if it is very easy to play the guitar or difficult, since it is often said among my purebred countryfellows that the guitar is a very easy thing to play. I also heard that it is very easy to play like Page or Blackmore.
What is right or what is wrong?

If you honestly give any credence at all to the statement "it is very easy to play like Page or Blackmore", I have a few beautiful bridges in the US that I could sell you.

If it were "very easy" we would be awash in fantastic guitar players. We are not.

There are all kinds of fantastic guitar players everywhere. The music business just doesn't care much at the moment.

What does "play like Page and Blackmore" mean? Learning enough to emulate them? Buying the same equipment and learning the chords and scales and how to use them to compose and improvise like them? Not difficult for the motivated student. Just check out Youtube.

Or is it about having the ability to use your skill level and inspiration to express your unique voice through your instrument and make an original statement? Which ultimately is less about skill level and more about personality and imagination.

Who has been responsible for more fantastic guitar music, Johnny Ramone or John Mayer? Fantastic is in the eye of the beholder.

Guitar is relatively easy to learn, but rather difficult to master. So, one could learn to play and play a few songs with little effort, but to master the guitar like a Page or Blackmore takes years and dedication to ones craft like anything else. I have been playing for more than 30 years and I learn new things on almost a daily basis, and I am a semi-professional player (play in a local bar band).

It's like anything else, you get out what you put in.

I thought maybe this was a joke.-?

It's not hard to learn a few open chords and strumming patterns on an acoustic if you just want to sing along. If you really want to learn to play well, read music, play lead guitar, learn songs by ear etc. you need to put in daily effort and how far you get depends on your innate talent as well as your effort.

I've been playing since I was 14 (but also had quite a long period of not playing, due to lack of time and other priorities) and am now

taking lessons again and taking part in a band-coaching project.

It's relatively easy to learn a few basic chords, so you can strum and sing along to many basic pop songs....., but learning to play to the guitar well and learning

to play lead guitar (solos, riffs, fills, etc.....) takes a lot of discipline, patience and practice. I have seen it happen a lot of times, people start to learn to play with enthousiasm, but quickly quit because they find out how much pratice and discipline it takes. In other words, don't give up when you feel like it's too hard to learn.

Even I have that somtimes, I have guitar lessons again and my teacher is definately trying to challenge me.

Like I said, I had a long period of almost not touching my guitar at all, because of that I never got further learning to play lead-guitar.

My teacher is now picking up, where I at the time left off. Am so glad I picked up the guitar again.

As for Led Zep songs, I do play Rock & Roll and I the play the basic riffs to some other songs (Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love and How many more tmes),

but it takes more than that to play the whole songs...... Lucky for me, my teacher plays in a dutch Led Zep tribute band.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived