Custard Pie

Mook

Always loved this song but since the PG reissue came out I've had it on full blast almost every day, what a great album opener for the greatest LP ever made, the huge drum fill near the end, the keyboards, the guitar solo, the lyrics, the harmonica, especially the harmonica. It's like blues from outer space.

It such a shame they never really played it live, I think it would've worked fine slowed down a bit & without the keys, maybe they tried it & didn't think it worked, I guess we'll never know (unless anyone knows differently?).

They - Led Zeppelin - may not have played it live, but Jimmy Page did on his Outrider tour and his version - with Jason on drums - just smoked! Threw in a bit of Black Dog near the end and the crowd was blown away!

Here's a clip from You Tube that has 3 songs, including Custard Pie, where you can hear how good it was on that 1988 tour!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1WDs3V_7DQ

It was a great album opener, and would have also made a great show opener live. I suspect its non-inclusion in their live sets was just down to similar great songs of theirs that just couldn't get on the list due to time constraints. By 1975, they had already amassed a collection of songs that were firm favorites, which were typically jammed-out to longer lengths than their studio versions.

It was a great album opener, and would have also made a great show opener live. I suspect its non-inclusion in their live sets was just down to similar great songs of theirs that just couldn't get on the list due to time constraints. By 1975, they had already amassed a collection of songs that were firm favorites, which were typically jammed-out to longer lengths than their studio versions.

Absolutely should have been the opener in 75. One of the problems of 75-80 Zep was their reluctance to add new numbers to the set imo.

Always loved Custard Pie and that stupid Spin article that ranked the 87 Zep songs, claimed that it was the weakest of all the album openers. Given, that's not an insult when compared to the all the great openers, but I still think it's at least as strong as the rest.

The only Zeppelin song where I can't get enough volume on the kick-ass opening riff.

Oozes a vivid salaciousness & the Wanton Song, to me, becomes the bookend.

Fuck, I need a smoke now.... but I don't smoke.

I was at that show posted above, thanks for posting that...now i have seen that that show is on youtube, wow, great. i highly advise folks to check out that particular show. custard pie in 88 was so good to hear live, cleaner ofcourse than the muddy riff on the record, but sooo grooving and rocking, such a great song. Sorta mindblowing that they didnt switch up another song live and play this.

Archived