Sugar Mama first listen

woz70

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/08/led-zeppelin-hear-the-unreleased-song-sugar-mama

Interesting, but you can see why they left it off of I and Coda the first time around. It's more of a jam than a proper song, and those lyrics are definitely a work in progress. Bonham sounds awesome. Not sure about the rest of it.
Lots of 21st Century processing going on with the guitar solo - this was mixed especially for the remasters.

The guitar solo effect is a Leslie cabinet, same as on the Good Times Bad Times solo.

Not talking about the Leslie! I'm talking about the harmony guitar doubling the solo, which sounds suspiciously like it's been put through an Eventide Harmonizer - not available until 1974.

Perhaps this was mixed during the sessions for the original CODA release then..... that had the Harmonizer all over it. Certainly not a sound you heard in 1968.

It's a Coda-era mix.

If it was mixed during the compiling of Coda, why didn't it end up on that album in 1982? Or added to the 1993 version? Strange that it took this long for it to have gotten an official release... that being said, it's a nifty little number, very addictive, although I think I prefer the alternate take that has been bootlegged for years, Plant's vocals are better and it's just a more groovy take, nothing wrong with this one though, and as Jimmy is/was the producer, it's his prerogative which take he feels works best.

Nice way to start Monday, it has to be said :stereo: ...

Waited awhile to see if this song ever got a good producing, glad to hear this have good quality. For some reason Robert sounds a little younger in this better version that in the bootleg muddy one that's been around the Internet.

The track has been uploaded to the official YouTube page.

It's a Coda-era mix.

Thanks for the confirmation, Sam.

If it was mixed during the compiling of Coda, why didn't it end up on that album in 1982? Or added to the 1993 version? Strange that it took this long for it to have gotten an official release... that being said, it's a nifty little number, very addictive, although I think I prefer the alternate take that has been bootlegged for years, Plant's vocals are better and it's just a more groovy take, nothing wrong with this one though, and as Jimmy is/was the producer, it's his prerogative which take he feels works best.

Nice way to start Monday, it has to be said :stereo: ...

The official track is identical to the bootlegged version, aside from an additional "Sugar mama!" lyric at about :30 into the song. Any sonic differences you're hearing are due to the limitations of technology (or deliberate sabotage) at the hands of the bootleggers.

The official track is identical to the bootlegged version, aside from an additional "Sugar mama!" lyric at about :30 into the song. Any sonic differences you're hearing are due to the limitations of technology (or deliberate sabotage) at the hands of the bootleggers.

Ah, no problemo, but why is the officially-released version (2:51) a full nine seconds shorter than the bootleg version (3:00)? Is it tape speed or what?

Ah, no problemo, but why is the officially-released version (2:51) a full nine seconds shorter than the bootleg version (3:00)? Is it tape speed or what?

Definitely issues with tape-speed -- the version released on Godfather's Studio Magick clocks in at around 2:50, and I have a version transferred from a trading cassette that is about the same.

Definitely issues with tape-speed -- the version released on Godfather's Studio Magick clocks in at around 2:50, and I have a version transferred from a trading cassette that is about the same.

I had a chance to go back and listen to the bootleg version of 'Sugar Mama' on Youtube - for brevity's sake - and it's definitely a slightly different verson than the officially-released one, the tape speed may be slightly slower but Robert Plant's vocals are different in one or two places. Again, it doesn't really matter, but there is a slight difference between the two, that much is obvious at first listen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDiSnNOSAM.

By the way and just out of interest, is there anyone else out there who feels the upcoming Coda deluxe edition's black/white negative cover is SO much better than the normal cover? It almost looks decent now; a black background signifying a death (namely Bonzo's) against relatively spartan white font... dignified but functional (an apt description of the album itself)... it would have been a better cover than the one released in 1982.

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out for the deluxe edition after all... oh Jimmy, you crafty devil.

I had a chance to go back and listen to the bootleg version of 'Sugar Mama' on Youtube - for brevity's sake - and it's definitely a slightly different verson than the officially-released one

At about 40 seconds there's an alternate drum fill, the guitar is different. Then again at around 1:14-1:17, the guitar is different here as well. The vocals are also missing. Another different fill at 2:04-2:07

Wow so much cleaner that the boot! Faster than I remember, too, (and Old Hermit's link confirms). Plant definitely sounds a lot younger; Bonzo's groove is all the more sultry; a work in progress, but still sooo Zep and already had the makings of being wayyy better than anything whichever band was in distant second could muster. That sound...

p.s. thanks for all the link versions so more of us can have a listen.

I like the track a lot - but with a lot of these treasures unearthed (Jennings Farm Blues, etc) I find that after a few "that's really interesting" listens these quickly make their way out of rotation for the more familiar tracks. I think more live material would have pleased a lot more of us. - But it's not about us - it's about Page/Zeppelin and That's The Only Way To Fly!

I had a chance to go back and listen to the bootleg version of 'Sugar Mama' on Youtube - for brevity's sake - and it's definitely a slightly different verson than the officially-released one, the tape speed may be slightly slower but Robert Plant's vocals are different in one or two places. Again, it doesn't really matter, but there is a slight difference between the two, that much is obvious at first listen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDiSnNOSAM.

By the way and just out of interest, is there anyone else out there who feels the upcoming Coda deluxe edition's black/white negative cover is SO much better than the normal cover? It almost looks decent now; a black background signifying a death (namely Bonzo's) against relatively spartan white font... dignified but functional (an apt description of the album itself)... it would have been a better cover than the one released in 1982.

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out for the deluxe edition after all... oh Jimmy, you crafty devil.

You're right! I'm sorry for being a jerk. <3

Archived