July 1 2015 Jason Bonham Talks Tensions Between Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones Read More: Jason Bonham Talks Tensions Between Jimmy Page and JPJ

Megalodon

You mean mandolin, Jimmy plays guitar on Going to California

Don't nitpick, Is a mandolin a stringed instrument? YES, is a guitar a stringed instrument? YES, so I referenced the wrong instrument. The bottom line is he can play stringed instruments just as well as Jimmy :peace:

^ Absolutely he wasn't credited properly for all of the input he had with those songs. Sure some songs had a solid structure going into rehearsals, but all the layers and textures that were added along the way was the band writing together. Jones has said as much, not demanding more credit but rather explaining how the final product came about.

JPJ commented that neither he nor John Bonham received all of the songwriting credits he thinks they should have in Barney Hoskyn's book. Hoskyn's book also makes clear that while Page/Plant were Led Zeppelin's main songwriting team, Page and JPJ were the ones most responsible for the band's distinctive sound.

Just had a chance to listen to this post cast yesterday, thank you for posting the link. Best interview I've heard from Jason. I could have done without the deep personal details, when he spoke about Robert and Maureen knocking on the door, I cringed... I listened to it of course, but felt as though I shouldn't have. Such a sad moment, devastating... and he recalled every detail.

I have a new respect for that band Train, never gave them much thought. I'll have to dig deeper into their albums.

Thanks for this thread!

• 1 month later...

Very finally had a proper listen to this interview and though my comments basically echo those of others, I was so struck by how honest Jason was about some intimate and harrowing experiences - about his Dad, about meeting some cool and not so cool musicians, about the behind the scenes Zep lad interactions, good and bad. 

The tale of how his Dad suggested the idea for Kashmir's rhythm, and Out on the Tiles to Jimmy was a good listen, especially in light of the joke about how drummers got fired for suggesting songs lol

I was surprised about how forthright Jason was in giving the minute details of being told about his Dad's passing, so personal, my God...

I thought Jonesy's dry cut of Jimmy's counting was funny, actually, even if it was a slightly tense moment to those outside of the situation. I can't imagine Jimmy taking that from anyone else but the guys he'd been through the trenches with.

While Robert seems removed from the guy who said flippantly that Jonesy was parking the car, Jason had a nice way of putting it that Jonesy was basically shat upon dismissively during the P&P era, and it still resonates that way; really bugs me. There's no sugar coating it, but I'm glad that they put differences aside enough for the O2 to happen. Curious thing was Jason saying that when Jonesy heard the parking comment he sobered up and stayed that way - not clear what kind of sobering up he's referring to here...

Anyway, very down to earth, honest, humble and fun guy is the impression I get of Jason, putting it out there about who he was and how far he's come to be who he is today. Respect.

Cool tunes at the end. Great interview, thanks for posting!

... Curious thing was Jason saying that when Jonesy heard the parking comment he sobered up and stayed that way - not clear what kind of sobering up he's referring to here...

Anyway, very down to earth, honest, humble and fun guy is the impression I get of Jason, putting it out there about who he was and how far he's come to be who he is today. Respect.

Cool tunes at the end. Great interview, thanks for posting!

John Paul Jones was in the biggest rock band in the world during the 1970's.  I'm guessing that like many of his peers, he struggled with drug and alcohol addictions in the past.

John Paul Jones was in the biggest rock band in the world during the 1970's.  I'm guessing that like many of his peers, he struggled with drug and alcohol addictions in the past.

It's just that the context was specifically Plant's crass insult (there were several, Jason gave one example) at Jonesy after he was clearly and coldly left uninformed by them about the P&P venture. It's at that point that Jason said it sobered Jonesy up and he stayed sober. It could be about substances, but perhaps about a reality check that made Jonesy see them differently? I'm not discounting your suggestion, it's just we'd never heard him having a problem even in the heyday of the Zep days, let alone afterwards. Now just because it wasn't public doesn't mean it wasn't happening, but without evidence, we can't assume he had a problem. Anyway, I don't see why rude comments directed at him would sober Jonesy up with respect to drugs...

I don't need lurid details, it's just that Jason was so honest and detailed about so many things in the interview, yet left that sober bit out there in a matter of fact way, when in fact it's not all that clear. It's really a minor puzzling point in an otherwise terrific and insightful interview. 

• 3 weeks later...

^^ JPJ was soooo underrated! I never really have given him as much credit years ago, that I do now. He could have been just as important to the music as JP in how the songs turned out in terms of arranging. From what I know, he preferred to be in the background and didn't want or need the lime light. That was for RP & JP.

The couple of videos of him on youtube playing guitar is amazing. I wish there was more stuff on him as compared to JP.

Underrated? No.

Under credited - Yes.

Under paid - Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived