Carouselambra

Klape

Hi !

From what I've see Carouselambra is not too much appreciate by the fan. I think it's a really nice song, as good as All my love, In the Evening or I'm Gonna Crawl (to stay in ITTOD).

John paul Jones is leading (Finally !) and it sound good. I really like the slow part section and the riff that throw us into it at 4:07. I like as well the riff Bonham is doing at 4:22 and then it goes again, in total 3 times with some variation. And then it goes fast. It's such a dynamic song from my point of view it keep the tension even during a 3min "hole". What do you think of Carouselambra ?

I'd had enough of the great ALS by 1980. I was ready for another song to be explored in depth by the band. So it was my hope for the 1980-81 US Tour, that Carouselambra would be "that" song. Over time, I grown more and more fond of Carouselambra. I think it would have developed into a great live showpiece for the band...

I agree, too bad Bonham died, They wanted to add it to the set list of the US tour. I imagine the silence between two songs and then hearing that intro suddenly coming that would have been awesome !

When I first heard this song, I thought it very odd compared all the bluesy type tracks Zeppelin did for most of their career. This is a perfect example of what might have happened in the 80s if they all continued. Basically JPJ would have a freakin' field day hahaha. I always liked it, it showed they could be "proggy" if they wanted to. Shame about their 80-81 US Tour, songs like this and maybe other songs they might have thought of playing (maybe Wearing and Tearing) would have been cool to hear with all their improvised jams that they did in the songs. I wonder what people when they bought this in 1979 thought of this track initially haha.

I wonder what people when they bought this in 1979 thought of this track initially haha.

For me Carouselambra was the first song that I heard from ITTOD that I liked- the day it was released all the rock stations were playing tracks from it and I was sort of disappointed, until I heard Carouselambra. It remains one of my faves to this day.

I think Carouselambra has some similairties (spelling, sorry it's too late in the evening) to Levee and Kashmir, in the sense of how it builds. (Course, other fans are are gonna point out "Ten Years Gone", ALS, etc. do the same and yeah, I agree). So yes, I'm granting myself a bit of artitistic license with my comment, but I think it holds water. Very interesting, multipart, multilayered song. Course, ITTOD is damn near my fav Zep album.

I also see "I'm Gonna Crawl" as a closing statement in the sense that "Let it Be" was a closing statement for The Beatles. What I mean is that neither band really knew the career end (version 1, at least) was nigh, and those songs seem hauntingly overarching in career sense. The timing chose it for them, and they just feel appropos to me as summation songs.

Hi !

From what I've see Carouselambra is not too much appreciate by the fan. I think it's a really nice song, as good as All my love, In the Evening or I'm Gonna Crawl (to stay in ITTOD).

John paul Jones is leading (Finally !) and it sound good. I really like the slow part section and the riff that throw us into it at 4:07. I like as well the riff Bonham is doing at 4:22 and then it goes again, in total 3 times with some variation. And then it goes fast. It's such a dynamic song from my point of view it keep the tension even during a 3min "hole". What do you think of Carouselambra ?

I'm one fan who LOVES the song, I think it's a masterpiece

I don't know if it's that clear that the song was rehearsed for the 80' US tour. What are the sources for this assumption ?? For a fact on

the 77' tour BIGLY(with Page on pedal steel, Jones on acoustic) and CSR were rehearsed but never played.

As for the song itself it is definetly unique and a bit experimental. It could have been a launching pad for improvisations, but you

can't ignore Page's condition at the time. I find it absolutely puzzling that some critics at the time dissed this song and the album as

lacking fresh ideas. What !?!?!? Fool in the Rain, Hot Dog, Carousel, etc.,. The album and Carousel were absolutely slicker than any

previous Zep, so Carousel IMO was a good song but not as focused or intense as TYG, ALS, or others where each section is different

but has equal weight.

I wonder what people when they bought this in 1979 thought of this track initially haha.

I bought the LP in 1979 or 1980 and it was my first LZ-experience. I have heard a lot about LZ and fell in love with the artwork immediately, but I was not mature enough for the music. I only liked hard rocking music at that time. So the LP aged in my collection and I later rediscovered it, when I became a LZ-fan several years later. It then became my favorite album beside PG. So, I cannot tell, what I thought of that track, because I didn't like the whole album at the time I bought it. Sorry.

Same here, I was like 13 or so when ITTOD came out and I wanted more rock'in stuff, but eventually it mostly made sense. I remember

buying Zep III and same response, although III ultimately is superior to ITTOD. But actually I liked Carousel right away.

Right from the day it was released I loved Carousel but i always thought it didn't feel finished or it didn't end right.Never been able to put my finger on it!Always played the second side the most because the first side was a bit hit and miss imo.

I love this song, my only issues with it are the vocals are buried too deep in the mix and the keyboard sound in general. If they would have used a different keyboard or used the guitar & keys for the opening riff I think it would have sounded better but the structure and arrangement are stunning. I hope on the new release they have brought the vocals up considerably. This song has some of Plant's most profound and articulate lyrics yet no one can understand them without a lyric sheet.

I love this song, my only issues with it are the vocals are buried too deep in the mix and the keyboard sound in general. If they would have used a different keyboard or used the guitar & keys for the opening riff I think it would have sounded better but the structure and arrangement are stunning. I hope on the new release they have brought the vocals up considerably. This song has some of Plant's most profound and articulate lyrics yet no one can understand them without a lyric sheet.

Jones had just acquired the Yamaha gx-1,an expensive be all to end all three keyboard piece of kit.Apparently it took about four or five blokes to lift it.It did everything except wash the dishes.Stevie Wonder and Kieth Emerson were other owners.Unfortunately it could produce some ghastly sounds and Caruoselambra's are not the best,likewise Wonders Living in the City and the second part of ELP's Fan are for the Common Man.

When I first heard this song, I thought it very odd compared all the bluesy type tracks Zeppelin did for most of their career. This is a perfect example of what might have happened in the 80s if they all continued. Basically JPJ would have a freakin' field day hahaha. I always liked it, it showed they could be "proggy" if they wanted to. Shame about their 80-81 US Tour, songs like this and maybe other songs they might have thought of playing (maybe Wearing and Tearing) would have been cool to hear with all their improvised jams that they did in the songs. I wonder what people when they bought this in 1979 thought of this track initially haha.

I don't think that ITTOD was an indication of their 80's direction. In 'Light and Shade', Jimmy says that he had been discussing the next album with Bonzo and that he wanted to make a hard rock album - I guess something in the vein of Presence. I see ITTOD as a 'blip' due to Jimmy's health at that time rather than a full tilt boogie into the 80's.

Archived