Your 'Best-Of' Companion Discs

I know not everyone has had a chance to hear and absorb the last batch yet, so take your time. ;) Here's what I came up with.

Disc One:

1. "Whole Lotta Love" (Rough Mix with Vocal)
2. "La La" (Intro/Outro Rough Mix)
3. "Since I've Been Loving You" (Rough Mix of First Recording)
4. "That's the Way" (Rough Mix with Dulcimer & Backwards Echo)
5. "Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind" (Rough Mix)
6. "Stairway to Heaven" (Sunset Sound Mix)

7. "Moby Dick" Live – Olympia, Paris, 10 October 1969

Running Time: approx. 44 minutes

Disc Two:

1. "The Song Remains the Same" (Guitar Overdub Reference Mix)
2. "Everybody Makes It Through" ("In the Light") (Early Version/In Transit)
3. "10 Ribs & All/Carrot Pod Pod (Pod)" (Reference Mix)
4. "In the Evening" (Rough Mix)
5. "If It Keeps On Raining" ("When the Levee Breaks") (Rough Mix)
6. "Friends" (Bombay Orchestra)
7. "St. Tristan's Sword" (Rough Mix)

Running Time: approx. 41 minutes

:stereo:

Wanton song

La la

Since ive been loving you

Bring it on home

If it keeps on raining

Bathroom sound

Ten ribs

Over the hills

Carouselambra

Everybody makes it through

Jennings farm

Bonzos montreux

Walters walk

Nice! I considered Bonzo's Montreux too, but I think I like the original version better.

To be honest although I've enjoyed these releases I wish Jimmy had released a nice box set of all the original studio albums in nice lp replica sleeves and included just two discs of bonus material. I feel that what was released as companion discs could easily be refined to just two discs. A lot of the alternative tracks just sounded too similar to the originals.

So here is my two disc 'best of' the the companion discs:

1. Whole Lotta Love (Rough Mix with vocal)

2. La La

3. Bathroom sound

4. Jennings farm blues

5. Keys to the highway/ trouble in mind

6. The Battle Of Evermore ( mandolin guitar mix)

7. Going To California (mandolin guitar mix)

8. The song remains the same (guitar overdub reference mix)

9. No Quarter (Rough mix with jpj keyboard overdubs - no vocal

10. Sick Again (early version)

11. Everybody Makes it through the light (early version/in transit

1. ribs and all carrot pod pod

2. if it keeps on raining (rough mix)

3. Baby Come On Home

4. Sugar Mama

5. Poor Tome (intrumental Mix)

6. Hey Hey What Can I Do

7. Four Hands ( Bombay Orchestra)

8. Friends (Bombay Orchestra)

9. St Tristans Sword

10. Walters Walk (rough Mix)

To be honest although I've enjoyed these releases I wish Jimmy had released a nice box set of all the original studio albums in nice lp replica sleeves and included just two discs of bonus material. I feel that what was released as companion discs could easily be refined to just two discs. A lot of the alternative tracks just sounded too similar to the originals.

So here is my two disc 'best of' the the companion discs:

1. Whole Lotta Love (Rough Mix with vocal)

2. La La

3. Bathroom sound

4. Jennings farm blues

5. Keys to the highway/ trouble in mind

6. The Battle Of Evermore ( mandolin guitar mix)

7. Going To California (mandolin guitar mix)

8. The song remains the same (guitar overdub reference mix)

9. No Quarter (Rough mix with jpj keyboard overdubs - no vocal

10. Sick Again (early version)

11. Everybody Makes it through the light (early version/in transit

1. ribs and all carrot pod pod

2. if it keeps on raining (rough mix)

3. Baby Come On Home

4. Sugar Mama

5. Poor Tome (intrumental Mix)

6. Hey Hey What Can I Do

7. Four Hands ( Bombay Orchestra)

8. Friends (Bombay Orchestra)

9. St Tristans Sword

10. Walters Walk (rough Mix)

Nice choices there E. Jennings Farm Blues probably would have made my list had I never heard it before the official release. Houses of the Holy (Rough Mix with Overdubs) almost made the cut too, but I like having the same amount of tracks on each disc, plus the run times are pretty even. :)

That's generally my own opinion as well.

I don't begrudge either Jimmy releasing and/or people enjoying the current deluxe editions (the necessity and overall worth of alternate mixes not being an argument I'll have here), but it would have been nice if those of us who decided to stick with just the basic albums to have had mini-LP vinyl replica sleeves - both outer and inner - to fully replicate the original albums' packaging... the 2008 Definitive Collection box-set was utterly exquisite in it's presentation, and the current remasters' sublime in their sonics, what a treat it would have been if we had been given the best of both worlds with these new releases!

If you want to talk about alternate tracklistings for companion discs, I wish Jimmy had made the standard remastered edition of Coda a two-disc set; including the four bonus tracks from the 1993 version in addition to 'Sugar Mama', 'Key to the Highway/Trouble in MInd', and 'Friends (Bombay Session)'... leaving the alternate mixes, the Bombay rendition of 'Four Sticks' - where not a single member of the band plays on it - and the half-finished instrumental outtakes for each respective album's corresponding companion disc... again giving people the choice of which version to purchase without having to sacrifice essential material in the process.

And we won't even get into why either 'White Summer/Black Mountain Side' from the 1993 version of Coda has been omitted entirely from the 2015 version, nor why the latter version of 'Hey, Hey, What Can I Do' has been shorn of it's final few seconds...

One song stands so far above all the rest from the companion category and that song is....

"If it keeps on Raining" (When the Levee Breaks)...

Roberts vocals and JPJ "walking bass lines" are simply incredible and make this version

a stand alone in regards to the companion songs. Too many others sound so similar to the

originals that they fade quickly from memory. Not so with "If it keeps on Raining",

this song could easily be released as a single on alt radio and it would be a hit.

Yes the song differs vastly from the original and it really works, too bad most of the other comps

do not.

Best song from the entire series.

^ I agree about "If It Keeps on Raining" standing out head shoulders above the rest, although there are some other companion songs I'm liking. "Levee" is probably my favourite song (still, there's a song for every mood, isn't there? Another day, another choice) so I hesitated listening to this, but I LOVE it! Robert's subdued vocals seem as if they're a template of when the singing would basically come in, Jimmy's raw crunchy guitars are an interesting detour on their way to the polished final recording, but what really makes this version is the bottom end. Bonzo propels this upbeat groove on top of which Jonesy's funky "walking bass lines" - struts really - just fly ooooh Lawd have mercy! :veryhot::faint1:

While I think the feel or mood created in the final album mix is more suitable with what the song's about, this one is an absolute treasure.

• 1 month later...

Archived