Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nick2632

Which shows do we know were multitracked?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Strider said:

I guess this thread is as good as any to submit the following. As some of you may know, I have been going through my old magazines reading Led Zeppelin stories and interviews from back in the day. I came across this interview Lisa Robinson wrote for Hit Parader on the occasion of the New York Premiere of "The Song Remains the Same". Excerpted from the April 1977 issue of Hit Parader. I have bold-faced the most interesting parts.

Lisa Robinson: Why did it take so long - two years it was mentioned - to complete the soundtrack album?

Jimmy Page: No way did it take two years. It didn't really take very long at all. It was recorded, obviously, at the same time as the gig, and then mixed over a period of three weeks with the film track. Then it took a couple of weeks for the album. In fact, the same tape that was used for the dub for the celluloid was used to make the stereo composite for the record. It's only one generation away.

Lisa: Do you feel the record works as a live album?

Jimmy:  Well, it's a soundtrack, and you've got to think of it that way. If we were going to do a live album of our stuff we would do it differently. Mainly because we've got so many things that could capture people's imaginations. We've got live tapes that go back to 1969, things that we get off on, let alone people that are into us. There are many live sets like the one in the film, this just happened to be one of them. There are many of them, but this is the only one that has film to go with it.

Robert Plant: If we'd wanted to do a live album, well, we've got stuff from Japan...from all over, right through time. That would be interesting...

Lisa:  When do you think you might release all that...'historic' stuff?

Jimmy: Well, it depends. If nostalgia is still with us in another five years, we'll push it. (Laughs). No, of course I don't think it's nostalgia, it stands up by itself. Even in the old days...there was a real leaning on the blues vein. But blues is still blues, and there you go. That's basically the framework of what some of those early things were; it was good blues, and there's still a place for that - there will be in twenty and thirty years.

20180718_002949.thumb.jpg.d6570d0d6bee149b39cf01250448244e.jpg

20180718_003046.thumb.jpg.f496157888c9ca52c93045eaa7a20cec.jpg

Live tapes back to '69!

OK, I know, don't get your hopes up, he probably means RAH '70 and got the year wrong. Probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 76229 said:

Live tapes back to '69!

OK, I know, don't get your hopes up, he probably means RAH '70 and got the year wrong. Probably.

What about the soundboard recordings from the Fillmore West (January 11th and April 27th)?

Edited by mysticman560

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mysticman560 said:

What about the soundboard recordings from the Fillmore West (January 11th and April 27th)?

Those weren't recorded by the Zep road crew, but by Bill Graham or KSAN radio. Those are two track recordings by the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this thread is as good as any to submit the following. As some of you may know, I have been going through my old magazines reading Led Zeppelin stories and interviews from back in the day. I came across this interview Lisa Robinson wrote for Hit Parader on the occasion of the New York Premiere of "The Song Remains the Same". Excerpted from the April 1977 issue of Hit Parader. I have bold-faced the most interesting parts.

Great find!  I have been approaching this fall with an open mind and cautious optimism.  The Page and Plant quotes from the article you rediscovered provide me with some sound reassurance.    Thanks for the post.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2018 at 5:57 PM, mysticman560 said:

What about the soundboard recordings from the Fillmore West (January 11th and April 27th)?

Thanks for the clarification. Given the quality of these recordings (two track recordings, not withstanding), I don't see any reason why either or both of these recordings couldn't be released in their entirety. The quality is certainly better than the 1969 Paris FM Radio broadcast that was included with the most recent release of "Led Zeppelin I".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2018 at 1:19 PM, strombringer101 said:

Dave Lewis says "All the 1977 concerts were filmed and recorded for the band. What happen to those shows who knows. Maybe when Kevin Sheerly looked through the vault said most shows were not good enough for release.  

I just got through to Mr. Lewis and he said he was miss quoted and that he believed a select few were.  And it makes me wonder. . 

Edited by Bozoso73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

I just got through to Mr. Lewis and he said he was miss quoted and that he believed a select few were.  And it makes me wonder. . 

"A select few" doesn't sound like just Pontiac & Seattle though. Out of 44 shows, a select few could be as many as 7 or 8.

And then I woke up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Every show was multi-tracked we just don't know it.

 

Apparently, neither does the band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018 at 8:57 AM, 76229 said:

"A select few" doesn't sound like just Pontiac & Seattle though. Out of 44 shows, a select few could be as many as 7 or 8.

And then I woke up...

7 to 10 sounds reasonable. . I think it also had to do with the venue as well. . I'm just spit balling. .I believe we will still be in the wind on this after the 50th rolls on by. . We may never know. . shame 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:02 PM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

There's some showco roadie out in hicksville without internet sitting on our holy grails. Mark my words.

More likely it'd be his grandkids who have a box of tapes in their parent's garage who have no idea what their significance is.  But as a general point I highly doubt this scenario.  Or, at least I have little reason to believe it.  Sure, there's probably still some dicks who won't share the shows they have, and some old timers who have no idea how technologically simple it would be to make the shows available, but at this stage I have to think these kinds of scenarios are very unlikely, and that it makes much more sense to assume that any shows that have yet to see the light of day, won't, for the simple reason that the recordings don't exist outside the Zeppelin camp.  Outside of the Soundboard Revolution shows (which almost certainly come from the band in some way, either by consent or [probably] subterfuge), what new shows have come out since, say, 2002/3?  (I'm thinking of the 7-7-73 Chicago show there.)  Not very many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2018 at 8:57 AM, 76229 said:

"A select few" doesn't sound like just Pontiac & Seattle though. Out of 44 shows, a select few could be as many as 7 or 8.

And then I woke up...

 

21 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

7 to 10 sounds reasonable. . I think it also had to do with the venue as well. . I'm just spit balling. .I believe we will still be in the wind on this after the 50th rolls on by. . We may never know. . shame 

"A select few" sounds like 5 or less to me. 7 to 10 sounds like a stretch.

Basically, we know the pattern for the 1977 tour was that the giant enormodome shows had the video screens. Up to the point of the tour cancellation that meant the Pontiac Silverdome and Seattle Kingdome shows, of which we only have the Seattle show videotape circulating.

From the rest of the itinerary, we can safely assume the band would have video screens for the New Orleans Superdome, Philadelphia JFK Stadium, and Buffalo's Rich Stadium. That would have put the total of videotaped shows at five.

Was there also a Washington RFK Stadium show scheduled? That would have been a video screen show, as well.

But there is still the mystery of Tampa and Oakland. Both of those venues were giant football stadiums yet there does not appear to be any evidence that video screens were used, and no possibility of videotape existing.

Why use screens for Pontiac and Seattle but not Tampa and Oakland?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

More likely it'd be his grandkids who have a box of tapes in their parent's garage who have no idea what their significance is.  But as a general point I highly doubt this scenario.  Or, at least I have little reason to believe it.  Sure, there's probably still some dicks who won't share the shows they have, and some old timers who have no idea how technologically simple it would be to make the shows available, but at this stage I have to think these kinds of scenarios are very unlikely, and that it makes much more sense to assume that any shows that have yet to see the light of day, won't, for the simple reason that the recordings don't exist outside the Zeppelin camp.  Outside of the Soundboard Revolution shows (which almost certainly come from the band in some way, either by consent or [probably] subterfuge), what new shows have come out since, say, 2002/3?  (I'm thinking of the 7-7-73 Chicago show there.)  Not very many.

I still think there are hoarders. Case in point: the missing 1977 shows.

By 1977 the bootleg industry was in full swing and technology had improved dramatically from the intitial bootlegs of the 1960s. Equipment was more portable, easier to conceal. Bootlegs from big bands were in demand and no band was bigger in 1977 than Led Zeppelin.

I find it hard to believe that nobody would bother to tape those seven missing shows from the 1977 tour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Strider said:

 

"A select few" sounds like 5 or less to me. 7 to 10 sounds like a stretch.

Basically, we know the pattern for the 1977 tour was that the giant enormodome shows had the video screens. Up to the point of the tour cancellation that meant the Pontiac Silverdome and Seattle Kingdome shows, of which we only have the Seattle show videotape circulating.

From the rest of the itinerary, we can safely assume the band would have video screens for the New Orleans Superdome, Philadelphia JFK Stadium, and Buffalo's Rich Stadium. That would have put the total of videotaped shows at five.

Was there also a Washington RFK Stadium show scheduled? That would have been a video screen show, as well.

But there is still the mystery of Tampa and Oakland. Both of those venues were giant football stadiums yet there does not appear to be any evidence that video screens were used, and no possibility of videotape existing.

Why use screens for Pontiac and Seattle but not Tampa and Oakland?

Thank you for mentioning Tampa and Oakland. I can't imagine any reason why they'd choose not to close circuit those shows. If you look at audience footage from Oakland, you can barely see the band from the nosebleeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s possible screens weren’t used in Tampa or Oakland because they were outdoor shows that started in daylight.    

I realize the 1973 Atlanta show had screens but that seems to be the only outdoor US show to use screens.  They also played in Outdoor stadiums in Tampa, San Francisco and Pittsburg in 1973 and no screens were used for those.  Perhaps after Atlanta 1973 they didn’t think the screens were worth it for outdoor shows because of the quality of the image?

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

It’s possible screens weren’t used in Tampa or Oakland because they were outdoor shows that started in daylight.    

I realize the 1973 Atlanta show had screens but that seems to be the only outdoor US show to use screens.  They also played in Outdoor stadiums in Tampa, San Francisco and Pittsburg in 1973 and no screens were used for those.  Perhaps after Atlanta 1973 they didn’t think the screens were worth it for outdoor shows because of the quality of the image?

I would go with this, plus, Tampa was rained out and high winds were present so even if they wanted to use video screens they likely would have taken them down prior to the show for safety reasons.

Oakland... I have seen quite a lot of pics of both gigs and never saw any video screens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If 77 tour shows were professionally recorded, it would’ve been done at a multi night stand venue such as LA, NY, or Landover 

ive never seen or heard any rumor of 77 pro recordings, as great as that would be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from the tapes that are either horded or in the attic (which is a real drag) I am grateful for the photo's that get regularly added to the time line. There's a new photo almost every other day! I hold out hope that somebody has a bunch of Super 8MM reels stuffed in granny's attic as well!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 2:33 AM, IpMan said:

I would go with this, plus, Tampa was rained out and high winds were present so even if they wanted to use video screens they likely would have taken them down prior to the show for safety reasons.

Oakland... I have seen quite a lot of pics of both gigs and never saw any video screens.

That’s one possible video that never gets talked about: Atlanta 1973.    

I’d say there is as much chance for this existing as Pontiac 1977.    And more so than all other fabled 1977 videos.  

The (possible) Atlanta 1973 video really needs to be researched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I met someone recently who saw Zep Atlanta 73 show, I specifically asked if there was a video screen they said they didn’t recall seeing one used.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

I met someone recently who saw Zep Atlanta 73 show, I specifically asked if there was a video screen they said they didn’t recall seeing one used.  

 

 

There were screens at Atlanta.  Info on the Timeline page:  http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-4-1973

i.e.

atlanta73-h_0.jpg

 

(screens at each side of the stage, B&W)

1973-05-04---atlanta---crowd--1_0.jpg

 

(sample review mentioning the screens)

73-05-04-review-atlanta-river-city.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the writer of that review was pretty stoned. "Four Sticks"? Really? That seems a stretch for Plant to do that song in 1973.

The writer has many songs out of order...giving the impression that the band finished the main set with "Dazed and Confused".

Unless we are to believe that out of all the 1973 shows, Led Zeppelin decided to do things radically different in Atlanta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2018 at 2:37 AM, Strider said:

I think the writer of that review was pretty stoned. "Four Sticks"? Really? That seems a stretch for Plant to do that song in 1973.

The writer has many songs out of order...giving the impression that the band finished the main set with "Dazed and Confused".

Unless we are to believe that out of all the 1973 shows, Led Zeppelin decided to do things radically different in Atlanta.

It’s not so bad....I’ve seen way worse reviews where you’re like “we’re they actually at that show...”.  Lmfao!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×