Earl's Court official release ?

appiantiqua

SAJ has said the rumor he heard was end of 2016 or 2017. Nothing definite, just rumored. Personally I would say 2017 or later would be my best guess, given all of the recent releases. DVD and silvers.

What does everyone think this will be, if it will be released? A single, complete night (unlikely), a frankensteined compilation much like HTWWW (most likely), or perhaps even a box set spanning multiple nights? I'd be ok with any of these, as long as they saw release!

Speculations abour a future Earl's court official release .... Audio,Video or both ....

Imo i think a mix of 24/25 may blu ray/dvd out in the next two years maybe after Jimmy Page solo project :santa:

Blimey, just when I thought I was out (of talking about an Earl's Court live album), they pull me back in...

Speculation about such a possible future release seems to be restricted to audio only, what we got of Earl's Court on DVD in 2003 is likely all we'll ever get, considering the effort and time it took just to restore that footage into a presentable and releasable state. According to Kevin Shirley, all five nights of the EC stint were multi-tracked, so any live album will be an edited version of that, likely the entire setlist made up of various nights' renditions pieced together, like HTWWW and TSRTS... and if it sounds as good as either of those, there'll be no complaints from moi. And Jimmy should probably forego releasing such an album on vinyl, considering it's very likely three-hour-plus length, a triple-CD box set would be just fine.

Not wanting to :beat:, but the very mere possibility of such an album happening at some point is just the cherry royale on top of the already satisfying and mightily tasty cake that is Led Zeppelin, but don't expect it for another few years at the very least, Jimmy wants to do his solo stuff first...

The solo material is something Page should get to right away. You know that the surviving members of the band are in a period of life where any day could be their last. This isn't like when they were Spring chickens when they had more of an abundance of time. Incidentally, I am the forum member formerly known as Bonhamite or Aspie1, 43 year old with Asperger's Syndrome.

I would love to have Earls Court in any format but as mentioned Jimmy's got his solo thing to do and he does take his time with things.If EC was on the agenda it probably take him six months just to work out the track listing.I passed on a boot dvd of EC at a market a while back.It was only $10,dunno what I was thinking.Anyone have any suggestions of what EC stuff is avaidable official or not.All I have is what is on the DVD.For me this era of Zep is my favourite.Yes the early days were raw and powerful,but there was much more variation with there songs and performance even though things could get excessive with guitar and drum solos.After this era they sounded tired and ragged(Seattle,Knebworth)but still great of course.

The solo material is something Page should get to right away. You know that the surviving members of the band are in a period of life where any day could be their last. This isn't like when they were Spring chickens when they had more of an abundance of time. Incidentally, I am the forum member formerly known as Bonhamite or Aspie1, 43 year old with Asperger's Syndrome.

I agree that Page should get a rattle on .We are starting to lose too many of our heroes from the golden era of the late 60s to the 70s lately(Squire,Bruce,Winter,etc).Also I am 53 and not in the best of health I would love to hear anything that's in the coffers before I go.

Since Jimmy likes to avoid stuff already on bootlegs and since he released a soundboard recording of Paris '69, we might be in luck for something great eventually... I would love to see an official release of a show that isn't available on bootleg! Perhaps Seattle 3/22/1970, Seattle 9/1/1970 (3 days before Blueberry Hill..), Seattle 8/20/1971 or Vancouver 8/19/1971 (1st show of the '71 U.S. tour).. Those are some shows that I would die to hear. Or an official release of Japan '71 if nothing else.

The only problem I have with an official release of Earl's Court '75 is that we already have great copies of the 24th and 25th on bootleg so an official release of the shows all edited down might be a disappointment... I would still snatch up a copy the morning of release day either way lol.

I'll definitely get it and enjoy it if it happens but I'd rather see Page doing something non-Zeppelin. Even if it isn't something new let's get the XYZ tapes or something else he's been sitting on next.

I would love and welcome an "official" release of any of the Earl's Court videos on DVD. Especially the first 3. Luckily for Me, I have had the 24th and the 25th on DVD for at least 10 years already. Obviously bootleg but of very high caliber and performance. Only cost Me about $10 10 years ago.

i would guess audio only, no dvd ever of this just considering how much work went into just what was done for the led zeppelin dvd in 2003...

like others have said, if i had to guess, i'd guess that he would compile and do a frankenstein of sorts of the "best of them all", or if we got lucky he'd just choose the best individual performances and let those run. Considering a near identical setlist all the nights, you pick the best of each, put it in, and let it go warts and all. Could be a lovely release and IMO the easiest call of the bunch, only because they have 5 nights that they could compile so they're not married to any performances, they have multiple to choose from and they can still label it all as live at earls court.

If they were to do this, I hope they'd go all in. video, audio, everything. Is it safe to assume that much of the groundwork (baking tapes and transferring) would have been done for the 2003 release, or did Page specifically target only the reels from the particular performance on the particular night? Not underestimating the work involved but I wouldn't think they'd be starting from scratch.

Couldn't Page also outsource the work and take more of a supervisory hands off/QA role.

This and Knebworth would be crowning achievements in their catalogue.

Is it safe to assume that much of the groundwork (baking tapes and transferring) would have been done for the 2003 release, or did Page specifically target only the reels from the particular performance on the particular night? Not underestimating the work involved but I wouldn't think they'd be starting from scratch.

Couldn't Page also outsource the work and take more of a supervisory hands off/QA role.

This and Knebworth would be crowning achievements in their catalogue.

According to Kevin Shirley, all five multi-tracked nights of Earl's Court were transferred from the original 16-track analogue tapes and digitized in 2002, and are now on a hard drive in lovely 24/96 quality.

Jimmy outsource??? You must be joking...

The trouble with Knebworth is the first show (August 4th) was great, the second show (August 11th) was... not so much. No reason for a Knebworth album or video, we already have a good amount of footage on 2003's DVD anyway.

I think Earls Court wouldn't be a big release without video. The band was at their peak visually in 1975. A video / audio package (like Celebration Day) could sell well, considering the severe lack of official footage from Led Zeppelin. Casual fans don't have the bootleg videos of Earls Court and Knebworth.

I would love to see both (Earls Court and Knebworth) released as video / audio packages. Audio-wise, I'd even prefer Knebworth, at least they had a singer again in 1979. Robert's voice is terrible at Earls Court (in 1975 in general), it cracks all the time, he doesn't hit any higher notes right, it's really painful. Rest of the band is doing ok, but far from a 1972 performance like HTWWW. Don't think an audio only release of Earls Court would be such a big deal. Video would be far more interesting.

i cant see the need for the visals myself. i think it'd be pretty boring to watch the whole three hours really given that the camera work was done for the big screen rather than for a full representation of what was happening on the stage. three hours of close ups only isnt essential IMO

i cant see the need for the visals myself. i think it'd be pretty boring to watch the whole three hours really given that the camera work was done for the big screen rather than for a full representation of what was happening on the stage. three hours of close ups only isnt essential IMO

Agreed. I have both the 24th and 25th on DVD. I occasionally give them a whirl but it is fair to say that visually it is pretty dull - though the venue (Earls Court) was an exhibition barn hall and no band has ever sounded good there. Funnily enough the single audience recorded album bootleg which came out years ago ( I think it's the 24th) has that eerie "woodstock" snippet which given the echo feel to it of the hall does sound fantastic. Much better than the soundboard

Knebworth however was filmed as a prospective live release (visual), as the band wore the same clothes for both shows, unlike TSRTS. I do have the first show on DVD and as I was there, it represents the highlight of my youth musically and a perfect sounding and perfect visual DVD would be great. Sadly though Page has said time and time again -"there ain't nothing left"

Maybe I'm weird, but I could watch a single angle shot of Jimmy Page playing guitar for hours, not boring at all for me. Admittedly, the Knebworth footage would be more exciting and also better video quality. But I would expect that an official Earls Court video would still have improved image and sound quality compared to the bootlegs (see LZ DVD). I don't watch the bootleg DVD often either, but with improved quality, I think I would (I watched the official LZ DVD many many times, even though much of the material was out on bootlegs before).

I am still destroyed from the reissued records...there is alot of material to listen to. Although i would buy an earls court release tomorrow. In regards to live zep, they have alot of space in the led zep catalogue for more material...enough for a whole series of bootleg shows if they wanted to capitalize on that first, then official releases.

Maybe I'm weird, but I could watch a single angle shot of Jimmy Page playing guitar for hours, not boring at all for me. Admittedly, the Knebworth footage would be more exciting and also better video quality. But I would expect that an official Earls Court video would still have improved image and sound quality compared to the bootlegs (see LZ DVD). I don't watch the bootleg DVD often either, but with improved quality, I think I would (I watched the official LZ DVD many many times, even though much of the material was out on bootlegs before).

Anything is better than the O2 Video. It makes me sick with motion sickness the constant changing of video every 3 seconds. I refuse to watch the O2 performance.

They often wore the same stage attire at multiple gigs in '73, '75 & '77 without any consideration for a live release. Please jog my memory if there's something else in particular that would lead one to conclude Knebworth was filmed as a prospective live release. As far as I recall it was only filmed for the projection screen.

Hi Steve, I remember reading that it was as well. Wikipedia (I know not always the best source) show references to this in Dave Lewis's Celebration Book vol.2:

The two concerts were professionally recorded on the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio (engineered by George Chkiantz) and also filmed, with live images beamed directly onto a giant screen behind the stage. The filming was done by the TV International company under the direction of Chris Bodger.[3] There was a plan for the footage to be used on a television special (this is one of the reasons the band members wore the same clothes on both nights) but this idea was never realised. Only short clips of some of the songs were used by Atlantic Records for promotional purposes.[3]

Archived