Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Flares

Companion discs are rubbish

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Even if we're Zeppelin nuts, enough to bring us here to discuss Zeppelin on the regular, of course we disagree on many things, because we're all pretty dead set on what we like and don't like. Think you both make decent points though.

One thing that sums up how I feel about the companion discs and the material chosen for them... something that sums up how I feel about them all in one sentence... What was wrong with including Danmarks Radio "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"??? I can't think of anything more worthwhile for a Zeppelin 1 companion disc. And if a live version exists in soundboard form that hasn't circulated in complete form, it could be even better. That just sums up how I feel about the whole project. Missed some great stuff, included some subpar stuff that even us diehards don't care for.

Jimmy saying "didn't have much for Zeppelin 1 companion disc" is complete BS. BBC stuff would have been fine. Communication Breakdown from 4/1/71 is another I think easily would have done better.

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 2:48 AM, Boleskinner said:

I've put forward my logical argument, if you want to resort to personal insult, because you don't have a counter argument, then that's up to you.

But I'm not resorting to mud slinging.

We'll need to agree to disagree. 

 

I agree we need to agree to disagree. As for an argument, I've made my argument, in detail, with a list of tracks and five different reasons why I think they are worthwhile. I agree with you 100% that you don't have to agree with my reasons - but to say I don't have reasons at all, is just silly. Conversely, your argument seems devoid of specifics, and your main "reasoning" consists of zingers ("we got a happy meal instead of a mother lode") and vague generalities that have no bearing on the actual argument: "music is judged with emotion and gut feeling" - well of course it is. We just feel differently about the tracks.

Edited by tmtomh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I agree we need to agree to disagree. As for an argument, I've made my argument, in detail, with a list of tracks and five different reasons why I think they are worthwhile. I agree with you 100% that you don't have to agree with my reasons - but to say I don't have reasons at all, is just silly. Conversely, your argument seems devoid of specifics, and your main "reasoning" consists of zingers ("we got a happy meal instead of a mother lode") and vague generalities that have no bearing on the actual argument: "music is judged with emotion and gut feeling" - well of course it is. We just feel differently about the tracks.

Can't let it go, can you.

Have to reply with another insult.

I put forward my reasons: specifically that you thought scraping a 50 per cent return on companion tracks was acceptable and I thought, along with many other fans, that it wasn't and the release was a major disappointment.

To rationalise your argument you had to go to the lengths of creating a convoluted key system with ratings.

When it comes to the point when your creating keys and tables and graphs to judge music, then you've lost the argument already.

As I said, "music is judged with emotion and gut feeling" not pie charts and protractors.

What's next a gantt chart to justify Page's musical inactivity.

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems we're clearly talking past each other and appear to feel the other is not hearing what we're saying. Wouldn't be the first - or 1000th - time that has happened on an internet forum. Perhaps we can at least agree on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tmtomh said:

It seems we're clearly talking past each other and appear to feel the other is not hearing what we're saying. Wouldn't be the first - or 1000th - time that has happened on an internet forum. Perhaps we can at least agree on that.

Agreed. Let's move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

"music is judged with emotion and gut feeling" not pie charts and protractors.

This - absolutely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to be missing the graphs and pie charts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some great stuff on the companion discs, the OP must have moosh for brains. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luxury! Beatles fans have two unreleased tracks - Not Guilty and What's The New Mary Jane. Both are crap. There is nothing else - Leave My Kitten Alone and Lend Me Your Comb are on the BBC discs. I was quite surprised at the quality of the extras disc in the Sgt Pepper re-release but the songs are pretty much just works in progress or different mixes. The Zeppelin extras discs had enough material that had not evolved into released versions, some quite significantly different. Personally I wish that Jimmy had included bootlegged material as with remastering, I believe that the average fan would have been delighted and the committed fans like us would also have been delighted.  

Sadly, I don't hold out hope for an Earls Court release as it would take Jimmy at least 20 years to to cut and paste between all five nights, including a few seconds here, a few seconds there, until he was satisfied.  Still, what we have is not too bad quality so I'd be ok with that if we never see an official release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jukkin said:

Luxury! Beatles fans have two unreleased tracks - Not Guilty and What's The New Mary Jane. Both are crap. There is nothing else - Leave My Kitten Alone and Lend Me Your Comb are on the BBC discs. I was quite surprised at the quality of the extras disc in the Sgt Pepper re-release but the songs are pretty much just works in progress or different mixes. The Zeppelin extras discs had enough material that had not evolved into released versions, some quite significantly different. Personally I wish that Jimmy had included bootlegged material as with remastering, I believe that the average fan would have been delighted and the committed fans like us would also have been delighted.  

Sadly, I don't hold out hope for an Earls Court release as it would take Jimmy at least 20 years to to cut and paste between all five nights, including a few seconds here, a few seconds there, until he was satisfied.  Still, what we have is not too bad quality so I'd be ok with that if we never see an official release.

You're crazy, Not Guilty is great, better than some of Georges stuff that made it onto the White Album, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

You're crazy, Not Guilty is great, better than some of Georges stuff that made it onto the White Album, imo.

Yes. Certified and on day release only. So what's your excuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Coda Companion discs are great. BIOH, Levee, Wanton, Sugar Mama, St.Tristian are all gems to listen to IMHO. Wish they could have got the FM broadcast version of Wanton pn there and cleaned it up too. Same with Fire.

So it's not perfect but i'd say it's a welcome pleasure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not as disapointed in the material as I am the way it was released. That alternate SIBLY turned me on to the song after being bored by it for so long. One thing is certain with Zep and their marketing; Greed and product control to the max. Why not release all the companion songs on a double/triple disc set with new artwork? Forcing people to buy/rebuy all the albums was just begging for them to be pirated. At least a compilation album with new original artwork would've given collectors a good reason to buy it. It's no different than putting Hey Hey What Can I Do on a single instead of the album, just to force the sell of the single. In the digital age, this just isn't smart marketing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×