Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Flares

Companion discs are rubbish

I was pleased that 'The Epic' was somewhat less 'jaunty' than the version on ITTOD. I wanted to love the original but JPJ's keyboards sounded like stuff you'd play at a wedding. Page's part was haunting and completely unrelated to JPJ's. Shame that Jimmy was too messed up to really contribute to the sessions.

On 08/30/2015 at 9:12 AM, achillestand said:

many fans would have prefered already heard stuff in good or slighly sub-standard quality rather than these alternate takes in pristine quality

I think JP has kept true to what he and the other members of LZ value in what they all want to be known for... quality over quantity.

On 08/30/2015 at 5:08 PM, tmtomh said:

I love the companion material, but I too can see how some folks wouldn't find it very interesting. I would note that Page and Plant actually are in agreement on the factual level: they seem to agree these are bits and pieces of what they were doing at the time. The difference is that Page views this as "a portal" into the process of Led Zeppelin, while Plant views it as "not particularly relevant." That's just a reflection of each man's level of interest in revisiting Zep at this time.

The reason I think the companion material is great is this: For $1 to $3 extra per album. you get a companion CD.

So at the end of the day, for a grand total of about $20, you get at least 3 full CDs' worth of great stuff - including never before released alt. takes of Since I've Been Loving You, Sick Again, Bring It on Home and The Wanton Song; St. Tristan's Sword; the Bombay tracks; an instrumental The Song Remains the Same with never before heard guitar parts; a completely unexpected additional track from the Zep I sessions and one from the Presence sessions; and a never before released blues track from the Zep III sessions. And you get a 4th CD with a live 1969 show on it.

If Zep had released such a set - a 4-CD set with those outtakes, plus the Paris concert - for $20, every Zep fan would be throwing $20 bills at their computer screens to buy it, and would be saying, "This is the most amazing thing ever!"

There's plenty of great bonus tracks on there, so what if there's a buncha filler alts, that's why it's called extra...

On 08/30/2015 at 6:25 PM, juxtiphi said:

I wonder why everyone is so interested in The Swan Song outtakes, in my 35 years listening to Zeppelin I feel it's the least interesting outtake

I agree. That's probably exactly why LZ didn't work more on it. Had they not dissolved the band they might've eventually turned it into something great.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zepfan2001 said:

I agree. That's probably exactly why LZ didn't work more on it. Had they not dissolved the band they might've eventually turned it into something great.

Bonzo’s drumming is just one of the highlights of this work in progress. I think Swang Song is infinetly more interesting than alt mixes that have slightly more cowbell and are virtually identical to the original.

When are we getting the third alt mix of rock ‘n’ roll. I mean, come on, we’ve dug a hole in the bottom of the barrel and are now dunking for turds.

Edited by Boleskinner

I'm really liking the alt version of Friends from the Record Store Day single.

On 08/31/2015 at 11:19 PM, Mithril46 said:

Page really compromised the Zeppelin "brand" with the companions. No one thought of this, but perhaps he is/was too old to take this

project on properly. I say this because there seem to be so many lazy choices. No Zep studio archivist is going to convince me that much

of the material was taped over, discarded, lost, blah, blah,blah. Certainly Page was not around much for ITTOD, but I find it unbelievable

that he did not save, store or put in a vault the alt versions, diff overdub versions, alt lyric versions, etc.,. Zep may have operated a bit

different than other bands but again as OTHERS have even mentioned usually the variety and scope of the "post career" releases is

far more considered and interesting than what Page has put out. Might not be age, as he certainly appears energetic for his age in those

live interviews. Lazy.

The way I see it is that the bootleggers don't represent Led Zeppelin and whether or not that is what fans and collectors want, it isn't their band. The band will do what it wants regardless of public opinion. I ain't complaining. I don't need extras.

On 09/01/2015 at 11:02 AM, The Rover 75 said:

It's really a simple answer, nobody is forcing you to buy them.

I agree. Stop whining.

It's what every old band does not.  Re-release your old album, cleaned up a bit, and tack on a few goodies,  Some of the goodies are good, some stale, some you don't know why they bothered.

I just had one of my most enjoyable Zep moments in recent memory listening to St. Tristan's Sword cranked up loud. I also listened to a bunch of the instrumental songs on the various discs, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I generally prefer instrumental music to songs with vocals (nothing against Robert, I just like instruments better than vocals), so they were definitely worth the price of admission for me and I'm glad I got to hear them.

Edited by SteveZ98