They don't make things like they used to

ScarletMacaw

I think most people here are my age range, 40s to 60s. I was wondering if others have noticed that in the past 15 years there has been a sharp decline in the quality of goods and merchandise? Here are some of my experiences:

1. Bought 3 tabletop humidifiers in a row from Bed, Bath and Beyond that lasted less than 3 months each. I'm now fighting with BB and Beyond to get refunded for the last defective one, which only lasted 2 weeks. I've had to get Paypal involved. Needless to say I will never buy anything from Bed, Bath and Beyond ever again.

2. Bought a music stand from Amazon, for my sheet music, supposedly new. It came with no assembly instructions and no packing slip. I could not figure out how to put it together and thought a piece might have been missing, so I sent it back. At least Amazon, unlike BB and Beyond, agreed to a refund.

3. After my 1970s Swingline stapler died around 2005 I bought a new swingline stapler, made in China as Swingline closed all their US factories. It was an ok stapler for about 6 years then broke. I bought a new Swingline and this one staples about half the time. It is just a flimsy piece of junk.

4. Used HP printers for years but the last one, bought this year, was defective; did not work at all. After online tech support couldn't help me I sent it back to HP for a refund. Bought an Epson that is a piece of junk, constantly tells me there is a paper jam when there isn't.

5. Have also bought a two DVD players that lasted each about two years and the CD player for my stereo that I bought in 2003 has never worked right; I play CDs on my laptop which is attached to my speakers.

I'm starting to feel like I spend my life sending back defective merchandise or fiddling with crap merchandise to get it to work right.

I can't decide if its cutting production costs or companies wanting "essential items" to break so you have to buy a new one. Either way the modern an must own a TV, computer, cellphone, ipod, tablet, video game console, etc. and he will replace anything that breaks. We may not like it but as long as we keep re-purchasing shoddy items we think we cannot live without we'll keep getting shafted. That's partly why I'm pretty much off the grid entirely. A cheap computer, basic phone and old box TV, all of which I use very little, is about as far as I go with electronics since they break so easily and cost so much.

I buy New Balance running shoes, the ones which are made in Made in Maine and no problems. I buy Helly Hansen ski clothing (Made in Nova Scotia) and no problems. I bought Whirlpool appliances made in the USA no problems, I bought Stanfields underwear made in Nova Scotia no problems. I really try and stay away from that China shit as much as possible.

Ya get whacha pays for!

People want cheap stuff and manufactures are happy to oblige. There's still a lot of really high quality products produced but they ain't cheap, like Gibson guitars, Ford trucks, McIntosh amplifiers, etc. The internet can be a great source of consumer reviews, look before you buy!

If I could find more Made in America goods, I would definitely buy them.

I need a printer/fax/copier because I run a business from my home. It's not optional, and I don't have room for the supersize office machines. Maybe some of them are made in the US? I doubt it though.

Ditto with a cell phone; I need it for my consulting job.

I guess I don't "need" a DVD player but I gave up regular tv altogether because 1. it was crap 2. The cable company was crap and 3. save money. So w/o the dvd player I would only be able to watch movies on my computer (or god forbid the phone) and it's nice to watch some movies on a larger screen.

Although it is definitely true that many purchased goods are not made to last long, there are factors besides inferior materials and engineering that control this. All this technology that everyone loves and think they need, is upgrading and getting more goodies to fit into a smaller package at a ridiculous rate - so why invest into something that you will pretty much discarding, once the next thing comes out? And many people, even the very young, seem to privileged to consider hand me downs of anything, these days.

I can't decide if its cutting production costs or companies wanting "essential items" to break so you have to buy a new one. Either way the modern an must own a TV, computer, cellphone, ipod, tablet, video game console, etc. and he will replace anything that breaks. We may not like it but as long as we keep re-purchasing shoddy items we think we cannot live without we'll keep getting shafted. That's partly why I'm pretty much off the grid entirely. A cheap computer, basic phone and old box TV, all of which I use very little, is about as far as I go with electronics since they break so easily and cost so much.

The problem is with the consumer. Most people will complain and complain about the junk quality of goods made in China, but the truth is that MOST of the people when given a choice between two brands of products-- A (made in USA) that costs $5 more over B (made in China)--- MOST will buy product B.  This is due in part to several generations of people now who prefer to shop at places like Walmart and Target.  Same type of folks who would buy a McDonalds hamburger from the "dollar menu" than buy from a independent burger joint. 

Yeah, you get what you pay for.  Same way you get who you vote for.

The problem is with the consumer. Most people will complain and complain about the junk quality of goods made in China, but the truth is that MOST of the people when given a choice between two brands of products-- A (made in USA) that costs $5 more over B (made in China)--- MOST will buy product B.  This is due in part to several generations of people now who prefer to shop at places like Walmart and Target.  Same type of folks who would buy a McDonalds hamburger from the "dollar menu" than buy from a independent burger joint. 

Yeah, you get what you pay for.  Same way you get who you vote for.

For once I agree with you. And everyone else too.

I cannot believe how cheap so many people are. I got in an argument with some Rival Sons fans awhile ago because they thought tickets that were around $25 were too expensive. It costs $150 to see a Broadway show! (if you don't have a discount). A live performance is SUPPOSED to be expensive!

And don't get me started on dealing with people in my business. What price would you put on your mental health? It's obviously priceless. Or so I thought. I've had people with good jobs argue about their deductibles and co-pays. They're lucky they have health insurance and a full-time salary. Somehow I managed to pay my own therapist $80 a session out of pocket 23 years ago when I was making $29,000! Of course I didn't have a cellphone, internet connection, or even cable tv. It's bizarre what people prioritize.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/13/2018 at 12:48 AM, redrum said:

When I was a kid we used to make fun of anything that was made in Japan. Now, it's China made junk and I'm not talking about their boats.

I think the Japanese are a better culture than the chineses are

41 minutes ago, kipper said:

I think the Japanese are a better culture than the chineses are

I'm looking to buy a symphonic snare drum. Pearl makes a beauty, but what turns me off is they have 'Made In Taiwan' right on the badge. Think I'll go with a USA made Grover snare.

• 4 years later...

It used to be not so hard to get good solid long lasting furniture but these days it's getting harder and you have to spend a lot more money for something that ends up breaking faster.

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 months later...
On 8/19/2023 at 9:51 AM, luvlz2 said:

It used to be not so hard to get good solid long lasting furniture but these days it's getting harder and you have to spend a lot more money for something that ends up breaking faster.

I only buy furniture at antique shops and swap meets now.  Especially upholstered furniture.  Even if I have to spend a few hundred dollars reupholstering something, the "bones" of older furniture is sound and solid.  Everything today made in China is crap.