Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
grasbo

All of My Love;A Disservice?

Recommended Posts

grasbo   

All Of My Love is a let down on the companion.A lo-fi mono? mix that Page just seems to have tossed out.I think he has done the song a disservice.He has stated that he has never really liked the song and yes it is a bit light and poppy ballad.Whole Lotta Love it ain't.It features some lovely guitar and that gorgeous keyboard solo.And it would have been no trouble at all to tack on that extended solo.And of course it's Roberts lament to his son.AND it was written by Jones and Plant.AND the album is generally veiwed as Jones and Plants.AND could this be why the companion in general is lacklustre.Maybe i am wrong but i think Coda may have received more attention.After coming after the Epic Carouselambra which features the 'more upfront guitar'we are suddenly brought down to a muddy AOML.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jimmy blew his ITTOD wad on Coda, so it's not surprising that the ITTOD companion disc is not as good as some may have hoped. Nonetheless, it seems that this deluxe edition did get short shrift from Jimmy, which is not really surprising, given his level of involvement in the song writing. BTW, I'd take All My Love over the highly overrated Whole Lotta Love, all day long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally believe that the ITTOD Reissue was more or less a double Fuck You by Jimmy.

 

1.  It's his least favorite album, consequently he put little effort into it.

 

2.  The bootleggers already released a treasure trove of glorious Outtakes from those sessions, isolated drum tracks, extended All My Love, etc.  I think Jimmy was pissed off about it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brigante   

The long version of All My Love deserves the wider recognition that would've come if it'd been included on the companion disc. I know Jimmy didn't want to issue stuff that was widely available on bootleg, but in addition to the wonderful one-take vocal from Robert and some great melodic guitar from Jimmy, the long version also lacks JPJ's solo - so this version could've qualified for inclusion under Jimmy's 'work in progress' policy. Ah well. For me, this (along with maybe an excerpt from Swan Song) is the biggest omission from the reissue programme - the vocals and guitar that carry on after the point at which the 'real' version has faded out really do deserve to be heard more widely. A great shame.  

Edited by Brigante

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally believe that the ITTOD Reissue was more or less a double Fuck You by Jimmy.

1.  It's his least favorite album, consequently he put little effort into it.

 

I wouldn't go as far as accusing Jimmy of not putting any effort into the remastered ITTOD, the companion disc I can't comment on, but the actual remastering of the core album itself was sublime, the best sounding of all the remastered albums next to III...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grasbo   

I think Jimmy blew his ITTOD wad on Coda, so it's not surprising that the ITTOD companion disc is not as good as some may have hoped. Nonetheless, it seems that this deluxe edition did get short shrift from Jimmy, which is not really surprising, given his level of involvement in the song writing. BTW, I'd take All My Love over the highly overrated Whole Lotta Love, 

Whole Lotta Love blew me out on the radio when i was a kid in the early 70s.As i have matured All Of My Love gets more air time.The last time WLL was played was when LZ11 reissue came out then quietly filed away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grasbo   

I have just burnt a copy of the companion with AOML and IAGC replaced by the original album versions.Sounds and flows much better.Side 2 of the album is a gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes considering Jimmy's diminished role in I T T O D  I can see this album not being -
his pride and joy compared to the others, therefore not getting the attention the others got.

I suppose Jimmy could debate that and say he produced it and had a say, but anyone
who listens to Led Zeppelin can see the marked difference between I T T O D  VS.
all other Led Zeppelin albums
 

Edited by KellyGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree.....something is missing from this companion cd. Although in regards to it being a commercial release..,they should have printed the lyrics to carouselambra, like stairway. Carouselambra is my go to song here, it is an epic song...even though i dont know what the hell its about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you all sound like ungrateful, 'entitled' jackasses... 

Yes, well said.

The idea of Jimmy Page using the reissue of a Led Zeppelin album to spite former bandmates and shortchange paying fans is just beyond reason. I trust his decisions regarding material for the companion discs were thoughtful ones and i don't know what he has to gain by compromising the integrity of the the music and legacy of the band at this point, probably his last chance to oversee re-releases.

Nothing has ever been released under the name Led Zeppelin which didn't have JP's stamp of approval. If he ever had any problem with any aspect of ITTOD, he never would have signed off on it in 1979 and gone on to perform the songs on stage. Listen again. It's clear he was significantly involved and took pride in this album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IpMan   

As far as I am concerned, the inclusion of Epic was worth the price alone. Then you have the amazing job the remastering process brought forth, especially in regard to bass & drums. Plus, I love the original, Egyptian sounding into to ITE on the outtake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I T T O D has always received the most slack hasn't it. I do agree Jimmy Page would never place the LZ sign of approval
on anything he felt was sub-par. He is a stickler for LZ's great sound in the studio and has no reason to short change anyone

 But...

It always seem that many fans leans towards I T T O D as being their least favourite of all Zep albums for whatever
personal reason:unsure:,  so I do wonder if  people find it a scapegoat to find fault with?  i.e. sound/content/quality. 
I don't know for sure. I'm just shooting off ideas on why some pooh-pooh it.

If you're somebody who loves it then awesome!! Sit back pour a drink and enjoy!! If you're not, well that's okay too because the
good news is there's a wealth of great Led Zeppelin music to listen to. :D

Edited by KellyGirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guesstimation about why Presence and ITTOD get so much flack is that these albums are where a lot of fans couldn't or weren't ready to grow with the music and got left behind. So the albums became scapegoats for confused feelings. "It wasn't what I expected so it's inferior". Same with the companion discs. "They're not what I expected so there is something wrong". If one can resolve their confused feelings, then maybe one won't have to pooh-pooh things they can't, won't, or refuse to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
juxtiphi   

My guesstimation about why Presence and ITTOD get so much flack is that these albums are where a lot of fans couldn't or weren't ready to grow with the music and got left behind. So the albums became scapegoats for confused feelings. "It wasn't what I expected so it's inferior". Same with the companion discs. "They're not what I expected so there is something wrong". If one can resolve their confused feelings, then maybe one won't have to pooh-pooh things they can't, won't, or refuse to understand.

 

 exactly.  B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guesstimation about why Presence and ITTOD get so much flack is that these albums are where a lot of fans couldn't or weren't ready to grow with the music and got left behind. So the albums became scapegoats for confused feelings. "It wasn't what I expected so it's inferior". Same with the companion discs. "They're not what I expected so there is something wrong". If one can resolve their confused feelings, then maybe one won't have to pooh-pooh things they can't, won't, or refuse to understand.

I enjoyed Presence immensely, ITTOD not at all. Just don't like it, probably never will, so I don't care if there is a 20 minute version of AOML, but that's ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2015 at 7:49 PM, middlezep said:

I agree.....something is missing from this companion cd. Although in regards to it being a commercial release..,they should have printed the lyrics to carouselambra, like stairway. Carouselambra is my go to song here, it is an epic song...even though i dont know what the hell its about.

Naturally these things are open to interpretation, but I think Carouselambra describes Plant's feelings towards the band at the time. I think the first portion of the lyrics describes the band in their heyday, when things were good and exciting and fun. The second section shows a shadow growing, that everyone seems to be trying to ignore. And then I think the final section touches upon Karac's death and Plant leaving the tour and Page not showing up to the funeral, and other general feelings about those matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the "20 minute" All My Love is an urban legend that might have grown of some weird combination of the 20 minute Helter Skelter (that actually exists) and the slightly extended version (which also actually exists.)  It is a shame the extended version wasn't released, but I think what would have been way better is an official release of Zurich concert from the 1980 tour.  It has three ITTOD songs and the FM source is even better than the Paris 69 he did release.  One of the best Achille's Last Stands as well!

Anyway, I feel All My Love is generally underrated.  It's some of their best lyrics, and beautiful performed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justfred   
7 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Naturally these things are open to interpretation, but I think Carouselambra describes Plant's feelings towards the band at the time. I think the first portion of the lyrics describes the band in their heyday, when things were good and exciting and fun. The second section shows a shadow growing, that everyone seems to be trying to ignore. And then I think the final section touches upon Karac's death and Plant leaving the tour and Page not showing up to the funeral, and other general feelings about those matters.

Your correct.  Robert  must have been so crushed when Jimmy and John Paul did not show up to his Son's funeral. Its quite obvious to me its one of the reasons Robert  never wanted to regroup.  It bothers him deeply today and rightfully so.  I, like Robert  hate that excuse that they could not make it. What crap! Im sure they both apologized profusely to him and time heals all wounds, but in Roberts mind its like yesterday. If you have kids you might know what I mean.

Edited by Justfred
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Justfred said:

Your correct.  Robert  must have been so crushed when Jimmy and John Paul did not show up to his Son's funeral. Its quite obvious to me its one of the reasons Robert  never wanted to regroup.  It bothers him deeply today and rightfully so.  I, like Robert  hate that excuse that they could not make it. What crap! Im sure they both apologized profusely to him and time heals all wounds, but in Roberts mind its like yesterday. If you have kids you might know what I mean.

Certainly the lack of Page had to be devastating, and I think that's what the "where was your word, where did you go? Where was your helping, where was your bow?" lines refer to. Jones I'm not sure about, I'd read that Plant and Jones didn't really have much of a friendship until they worked on ITTOD together. But either way, it had to be devastating.

I never really understood Carouselambra at all until I did a whole lot of reading about the band and about Plant's feelings about the band, then suddenly the lyrics just seemed to make so much sense. Now I think they're some of Plant's best lyrics.

It's funny how time changes things. When I was 16 I thought Carouselambra was by far Zeppelin's lamest song. 30 years later it's one of my favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Justfred   
1 hour ago, Balthazor said:

Certainly the lack of Page had to be devastating, and I think that's what the "where was your word, where did you go? Where was your helping, where was your bow?" lines refer to. Jones I'm not sure about, I'd read that Plant and Jones didn't really have much of a friendship until they worked on ITTOD together. But either way, it had to be devastating.

I never really understood Carouselambra at all until I did a whole lot of reading about the band and about Plant's feelings about the band, then suddenly the lyrics just seemed to make so much sense. Now I think they're some of Plant's best lyrics.

It's funny how time changes things. When I was 16 I thought Carouselambra was by far Zeppelin's lamest song. 30 years later it's one of my favorites.

I agree with you again . It's almost like the lyrics are cryptic . I wonder if Jimmy noticed them at the time . I always had a dislike for the way the vocals were lost in the mix, but I like the song very much . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Justfred said:

I agree with you again . It's almost like the lyrics are cryptic . I wonder if Jimmy noticed them at the time . I always had a dislike for the way the vocals were lost in the mix, but I like the song very much . 

That's one of the things I like about Plant's better lyrics, they have a meaning but you have to dig a little to find it. On the other hand, I don't think any amount of digging can turn up a meaning to the "tadpole in a jar" line from Dancing Days. Talk about cryptic, that's like a Dio level of cryptic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Balthazor said:

I don't think any amount of digging can turn up a meaning to the "tadpole in a jar" line from Dancing Days. Talk about cryptic, that's like a Dio level of cryptic.

Just use the search function here. It's been discussed many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2015 at 5:32 AM, Badgeholder Still said:

My guesstimation about why Presence and ITTOD get so much flack is that these albums are where a lot of fans couldn't or weren't ready to grow with the music and got left behind. So the albums became scapegoats for confused feelings. "It wasn't what I expected so it's inferior". Same with the companion discs. "They're not what I expected so there is something wrong". If one can resolve their confused feelings, then maybe one won't have to pooh-pooh things they can't, won't, or refuse to understand.

I couldn't have put it better myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
juxtiphi   
On 2/3/2016 at 9:19 PM, SteveAJones said:

Just use the search function here. It's been discussed many times.

Haven't read the discussions about it but my guess was That the Lion refers to a father and the tadpole in a jar was a reference to an abortion his daughter had due to her summer antics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×