HTWWW vs. Burn Like A Candle After 10 Plus Years

Mr_K

Hello,

Compare HTWWW and Burn Like A Candle after multiple listens.

There must be a post somewhere about this, so redirect me if needed. I tried doing a search top right but couldn't. My Samsung tablet might be a little ornery.

Why am I still wanting a complete soundboard of BLAC and still listening to HTWWW? JPJ's clean, powerful supporting bass, Bonzo's stupendous overpowering drums, JP's elegant guitar, and RP's clear vocals in excellent shape. But I miss the Plantations, the extended WLL, and the feel of the audience. 

Did JP overwork it? With Mike Millard's recordings, especially 6/21/1977, you're there in row 6 and don't want to leave. Even the rough BLAC has a better live feel. HTWWW, good as it is, is studio recording in reverse, a bit over produced and under songed.

HTWWW leaves out Louie, Louie and Thank You? That should have finished off the official release.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Compare HTWWW and Burn Like A Candle after multiple listens.

There must be a post somewhere about this, so redirect me if needed. I tried doing a search top right but couldn't. My Samsung tablet might be a little ornery.

Why am I still wanting a complete soundboard of BLAC and still listening to HTWWW? JPJ's clean, powerful supporting bass, Bonzo's stupendous overpowering drums, JP's elegant guitar, and RP's clear vocals in excellent shape. But I miss the Plantations, the extended WLL, and the feel of the audience. 

Did JP overwork it? With Mike Millard's recordings, especially 6/21/1977, you're there in row 6 and don't want to leave. Even the rough BLAC has a better live feel. HTWWW, good as it is, is studio recording in reverse, a bit over produced and under songed.

HTWWW leaves out Louie, Louie and Thank You? That should have finished off the official release.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I think that the bootleg recordings are much better than the official HTWWW. I have heard Burn Like A Candle. But i Have the Welcome Back To How The West Was Won boxset and i have listened to this instead of HTWWW ever since i got it. I love the real live feel and how its not edited. Every song is there and you get to experience them in full on action un edited! I was thinking about making my own matrix remaster of the show using Burn Like A Candle, Welcome Back To HTWWW and the official HTWWW. But i never did. I think these concerts are amazingly powerful, Led Zeppelin very strong in 1972 and this is their peak 72 performances! I'm not sure what it is you're asking but thats my opinion :)

Edited by hunter19877

BLAC all the way. It is my favorite Led Zeppelin show ever, and it is longer than HTWWW, has some of Robert's best Plantations, Jimmy's playing is 100% spot on, and also FEELS like a live show. 

The problem with HTWWW, is it doesn't 100% feel like a live show. I mean,sure it SOUNDS like a live show, and it has Zeppelin's improvisation, but BLAC feels like it's a 100% live show, because it is.

Plus it has Tangerine, which was the worst thing Jimmy could have done to the show for HTWWW

I've binned BLAC twice, firstly the day HTWWW was released, then again about a year ago after I thought I'd give it another go, it's got it's moments but I'm a little less tolerant of average sounding audience recordings these days.

It was a no-brainer 10 years ago and it still is today: "Burn That Candle"/"Burn Like A Candle" all the way!

You'll have to forgive me...this was my first Zeppelin concert, so I can't stand to dwell on the missed opportunity that was HTWWW as I get too verklempt.

It was a no-brainer 10 years ago and it still is today: "Burn That Candle"/"Burn Like A Candle" all the way!

You'll have to forgive me...this was my first Zeppelin concert, so I can't stand to dwell on the missed opportunity that was HTWWW as I get too verklempt.

I can't imagine seeing Zeppelin live, ever. I was only born in 1997, so I have no idea what it was ever like to see Zeppelin Live. 

I envy all of you.

I've binned BLAC twice, firstly the day HTWWW was released, then again about a year ago after I thought I'd give it another go, it's got it's moments but I'm a little less tolerant of average sounding audience recordings these days.

I have "A Night At The Heartbreak Hotel" and it certainly is not an average recording. It's magnificent. The height of their powers in one great show. Although the Seattle show a few days earlier is a close one but the sound is not as good

• 2 years later...

Has anyone heard the new Wendy release "Burn Like A Candle" 3 CD Ltd Edition Paper Case yet?

While I am more than happy with the Graf Zeppelin version, every new release of this fabulous show seems to be a tantalising temptation.

Back to topic: Until there is a remastered, raw & complete HTWWW on vinyl, it`s BLAC all the way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2015 at 11:58 AM, Strider said:

+1 . . I listened to HTWWW once and like it was said "canned". . It reminds me of a KISS ALIVE album. . missed opportunity?? You betcha!!!

On 25/09/2015 at 8:29 PM, JTM said:

I’m the same mate. Wish I had bootleg ears, but I just don’t. 

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Exactly this. I fully appreciate the value of the raw show, and why so many favour it, but for me, when you get that official release quality, game over! HTWWW all the way. Maybe someone should do a matrix of official and blend in the Plantations etc. :sarcastic_hand:

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:51 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Me neither, I love Led Zeppelin but the idea of spending hours & hours listening to audience recordings of them sounds pretty grim to me. I think I bought about two bootlegs at record fares before I gave up & I stick with the official stuff & the odd soundboard these days.

I absolutely love HTWWW & have done since the day it came out.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Me neither, I love Led Zeppelin but the idea of spending hours & hours listening to audience recordings of them sounds pretty grim to me. I think I bought about two bootlegs at record fares before I gave up & I stick with the official stuff & the odd soundboard these days.

There’s some good ones out there. FWIW, these are the ones I listen to:

Montreaux ‘70

Blueberry Hill ‘70

Seattle ‘73

LA Forum Millard tapes ‘77

Copenhagen ‘79

Aside from these I only listen to SBDs

5 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Montreaux ‘70

Blueberry Hill ‘70

Seattle ‘73

Copenhagen ‘79

Yeah those are really good, I have trouble listening to quite many audience bootlegs too, especially some 69 and 71 ones are the ones I wish I could listen to more, but many times I just can't!

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I was once the same tbh. When I first started downloading boots, I only touched soundboard and wouldn't go anywhere near AUD recordings as I just assumed they were all terrible. I think eventually I grabbed the Eddie boot and from then on I opened my mind and ears to more and more recordings.

I'm glad I did now as there are some truly fantastic AUD tapes that rival a SBD tape. Stuff like Montreux, Berkley, Japan, any of Millards tapes and more are certainly more than with the effort.

But yea, I do love HTWWW. :D

Edited by johnlennon696

10 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Montreaux ‘70

Blueberry Hill ‘70

Seattle ‘73

Copenhagen ‘79

Give Four Blocks in the Snow a shake. NYC Feb 75. Plant is in an especially cheeky mood.

Also Snowblind I find very listenable and pretty damn good. 19th and 20th '75 Vancouver.

Some decent Aud's are worth the effort. Danke Vienna! - Winston's take on Mar '73 Vienna. Has a beautiful SIBLY.

There are many others that are proper good sounding. I also find it tough to put on 'bootleg ears'.

I kind of like HTWWW a bit, but prefer the boots. Page actually overdubbed/ redid parts of solos, and even added a second

guitar to sections of The Ocean. I was teaching guitar when the release came out, and a student was puzzled about how

to play a certain part of the Ocean. Well, Jimmy had added a second guitar......TSRTS has it's trickery as well, but Zep

is not the Eagles or Fleetwould Mac, the band is meant to be live without a net. That's also why I'm not too confident

about future live official releases.