HTWWW vs. Burn Like A Candle After 10 Plus Years

Mr_K

The disappointing news about the HTWWW remaster got me thinking back to this boot. Like others here, I've always liked Burn Like a Candle better than HTWWW, and my preference for it has only grown since I first heard it. A couple of things occurred to me: If memory serves, there are no cuts in the music on the boot whatsoever. Every song is 100% intact, and the only cuts are between a couple of songs. Either this taper had the luckiest timing in the world, or he had to have known what Zeppelin's setlist was and planned accordingly, correct? Hell, even the great Mike Millard couldn't get things a hundred percent right with his timing and something was almost always cut (ex. Dazed on 3/27/75, Ten Years Gone on 6/21/77, Achilles Last Stand 6/27/77). What's this taper's story? Did he tape other Zeppelin shows? What equipment did he use? Was he a regular at the Forum?

18 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

The disappointing news about the HTWWW remaster got me thinking back to this boot. Like others here, I've always liked Burn Like a Candle better than HTWWW, and my preference for it has only grown since I first heard it. A couple of things occurred to me: If memory serves, there are no cuts in the music on the boot whatsoever. Every song is 100% intact, and the only cuts are between a couple of songs. Either this taper had the luckiest timing in the world, or he had to have known what Zeppelin's setlist was and planned accordingly, correct? Hell, even the great Mike Millard couldn't get things a hundred percent right with his timing and something was almost always cut (ex. Dazed on 3/27/75, Ten Years Gone on 6/21/77, Achilles Last Stand 6/27/77). What's this taper's story? Did he tape other Zeppelin shows? What equipment did he use? Was he a regular at the Forum?

He also taped one of the Oakland 1970 sources.    He did almost nail the tape flips and I think he made a great sounding recording.  

There is a tape flip during the intro of Going to Calirofnia and also during Going Down Slow during the WLL medley.   Check every 40-45mins and you’ll her the cut.   Not much was missed at all and he did do a great job. 

Edited by Sticks of Fire

5 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

He also taped one of the Oakland 1970 sources.    He did almost nail the tape flips and I think he made a great sounding recording.  

There is a tape flip during the intro of Going ztonCalirofnia and also during Going Down slow during the WLL medley.   Check every 40-45mins and you’ll her the cut.   Not muxhbwas missed at all and he did do a great job. 

I just did a listen of Going to California and I didn't detect a cut anywhere. If there is a tape flip, then it's really subtle. I'll have to go back and listen to Going Down Slow again and see if there's a cut. Regardless, he did a fantastic job at capturing the atmosphere and the show in all its glory.

I didn't know he did the Oakland 1970 show as well, that's pretty cool! Do we know who he was? What kind of equipment did he use? What's his story? I find this stuff quite fascinating.

• 2 years later...