Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page joins Yo! Sushi founder to back ‘addictive cabaret’ for charity

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page joins Yo! Sushi founder to back ‘addictive cabaret’ for charity

25LedZeppelin2809A.jpg

alistair foster  |   Monday 28 September 2015 09:30 BS

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, Yo! Sushi founder Simon Woodroffe and stage star Mark Rylance have given their support to a scheme which uses theatre and drama to help people struggling with addiction.

The Outside Edge charity is putting on its first commercial show at the newly refurbished Hoxton Hall next month. If successful they hope to transfer to the West End.

The charity was set up by former addict Phil Fox, who passed away last year, and is also supported by actors Gary Oldman and Pierce Brosnan.

Rockston Stories is “an addictive cabaret” which explores the devastating effects of substance abuse. Rylance is its associate director.

Page, 71, said: “I was so impressed with the work they do. Everybody I think has been touched by addiction. This charity provides a great support system and gives these people purpose and focus.”
Woodroffe, 63, was arrested for drugs offences at 17 and overcame a bout of depression at 40. He said: “Everybody has their demons in life. The people involved with Outside Edge get to work with professional actors ... It builds their self-esteem. We have various fundraising events, but if we could make this show and future shows sustainable it would be fantastic.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/led-zeppelin-guitarist-jimmy-page-joins-yo-sushi-founder-to-back-addictive-cabaret-for-charity-a2956881.html

Jimmy has so much class.  I know the gossip mongers want him to dish about all his drug exploits, but he always shuts them down and says he doesn't want to glamorize it.  Then he actually does something low key and positive to help others overcome their own addictions.

i hope people take note this is how you act like an adult in our messed up world.

Jimmy really does seem to be very active philanthropist, spending a great deal of time supporting charities and other causes that he believes in. He (and the other members) gave the world Led Zeppelin and here's yet another heartwarming post about Jimmy supporting another cause he believes in, so he continues to give of himself! Talk about a class act!

Brilliant! Jimmy's been a patron of Outside Edge for a while now, but this is a great progressive step to spread the word and help people overcoming addiction. Although discussing additions is helpful, it doesn't seem to be Jimmy's way, and it can quickly be degraded to fishing for salacious details; even Robert Downey Jr., hardly reticent on the topic, has walked out of an interview promoting a movie when the questions veered to addiction. Far better to lend support to an art therapy program that gives people a healthy outlet to deal with their issues. I'm so pleased to hear about this. I hope it's a resounding success!

Archived