Strider

Ever noticed how certain things aren't what they used to be? You buy something and it barely makes it through the summer before falling apart. Manufacturing quality don't seem to be up to previous standards. Holiday or venerable traditions have mutated or been eliminated altogether. This is a thread for those who want to shake their fist in the air and rail at modern society "Hey! Get off my lawn you damn kids!"

I will start with TOASTERS!

Yes, toasters. My aunt has a toaster that she bought in the 1960s and the darn thing still works like a demon. Meanwhile, my most recent toaster barely lasted three years.

Another thing that ain't what it used to be...Columbus Day. Which was today, by the way...unless political correctness has eradicated it in the town you live.

Oh...the Search Function of this Forum. Complete chaos.

Oh...the Search Function of this Forum. Complete chaos.

I take this simple statement as a Major affront and dismissal to all the people(s) that make this the Greatest Internet Site in the History of the Internet.  You should know better with your 12,175 posts to this "complete chaos", "of this Forum".  I am simply quoting your words from your above post. 

Shame on you for saying such a negative thing about this Forum dedicated to the Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time.  The MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN. 

It is My opinion that you should retract your inane statement and offer an apology to Sam and all the Others that keep this site up and running, day after day, year after year. 

My mom has a blender that she bought in late 1982 (5 years before I was born) and she calls it her "old faithful", as it still works so well even today! *knocks on wood

She also has a gigantic pressure cooker that she bought in the mid-1980's. Yep! It still works! Strangely enough, back in 2006, when she decided to (for safety sake), purchase a spare pressure cooker, it went kaput after 2 years! :wacko: 

Oh and the same thing goes, for the hair dryer that she and I share! It is over 30 years old but still works incredibly well after all these years! *knocks on wood (again!) But the same could not be said for a hair curler that my mom decided to try out (on a whim) bought in 2008! <_<

These are only some of the instances that I can think of, with regard to the phrase "Things were built to last, back in the day!". 

There is also another very critical aspect that seems to have changed for the worse. Human relationships. I am 27 years old and I am proud to say that I do not own a smart phone and I haven't hurt the feelings of my family or friends, by texting constantly or being completely oblivious to my surroundings. I firmly believe in the concept of 'family time'. My philosophy is 'step away from the smart phone and spend some quality time with family. Never ever take your loved ones for granted". I truly do not see the need for texting at the table. It is downright rude, IMHO!! 

Also, when I have to text someone, I choose to do the deed by means of complete sentences, correct spelling and grammar. I also, am not a fan of auto correct. 

On a side note, people's feelings with regard to changes in the forum layout / features, is very subjective and depends on the person itself. There will be certain aspects that are liked and certain aspects that are disliked. Personally, I love the cool background that depicts 1000's of Zep Heads in concert. I also love the fact that, Sam has brought back member signatures. I also love that members now have the opportunity to upload a cover photo to their profile. However, on the flip side, I really miss the 'friends section' of a member profile and I am afraid that I am going to have to agree with Strider on the search function. It is just not what it used to be. 

I take this simple statement as a Major affront and dismissal to all the people(s) that make this the Greatest Internet Site in the History of the Internet.

Well, there you go. That pretty much says it all.

Rock Concerts. I liked it better when bic lighters sparkled across rebellious oceans instead of cellphones floating in corporate seas.

Amen. Amen. :yesnod: 

back-in-my-day.giftop-secret-pinto-explosion-o.gif

prehistoric-google.jpg

Hahaha...pretty good, guys.

French fries just ain't what they used to be.  Some things taste better with lard and trans-fats....including fries.  Ask "Five Guys".....they know how to cook a frenchfry.  MacDonalds and Booger King don't serve fries....they serve par-boiled cardboard.  It's an embarrassment to spud growers world-wide. 

French fries just ain't what they used to be.  Some things taste better with lard and trans-fats....including fries.  Ask "Five Guys".....they know how to cook a frenchfry.  MacDonalds and Booger King don't serve fries....they serve par-boiled cardboard.  It's an embarrassment to spud growers world-wide. 

I stopped going to McClown's or Booger King years ago so I cannot testify to the state of their french fries.

I can, however, vouch for Five Guys' fries. ?

I think they are going to try to compete with Maxim, etc.  But really, they are not gonna be able to shake their image and be on the same level of acceptance as walking around with a copy of Maxim.  

I stopped going to McClown's or Booger King years ago so I cannot testify to the state of their french fries.

I can, however, vouch for Five Guys' fries. ?

Seriously? Every time I've gotten fries at Five Guys, they're soggy as hell.

Seriously? Every time I've gotten fries at Five Guys, they're soggy as hell.

Agreed!

Maybe it's because of regional cooking discrepancies, because I don't get soggy ones at the Five Guys I go to on Wilshire. Not that they are the best french fries in L.A.

Archived