Strider

Coffee makers and manners/civility.

Absolutely, Virginia. My old trusted Mr. Coffee from the 1970s lasted over thirty years and through 8 different moves. I have since had to go thru 3 coffee makers in the last 7 years.

Electric fans made up to about 1948 were made much better than the plastic garbage of today. And a lot of them used much less power to run. I have a few from the late 1800's that run for hours and the motor barely gets warm. 

tv sitcoms (except the Big Bang Theory).

Couldn't agree with you more, Virginia! Just the other day, I tried watching some 'brand new' sitcoms on Comedy Central (the 1st show was called 'Your Family or Mine' and the 2nd show was called 'Mom'). I just couldn't believe how contrived the story lines were. The 'punch lines' were just idiotic and over-sexualized! It was just an embarrassing spectacle! The only shows that I really love from the 21st Century are 'The Big Bang Theory' and 'Modern Family'. Sitcoms are just going to the dogs, at this point! When I think back to sitcoms like 'Seinfeld', 'Cheers', 'Full House', 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air', 'Friends', etc., I can't help but shake my head in utter disbelief, regarding the current state of sitcoms today. 

Music of course.

No bullshit social media, people actually liked to hang out

No bullshit cell phones, people actually preferred NOT to be bothered when hanging out with friends

TV shows - Barney Miller, All in the Family, Kolchak, Fantasy Island (guilty pleasure, sorry).

Cars: Give me a 76' Cadillac Eldorado convertible, white with red leather interior...pimp-o-rama!

Bush, and I don't me George. I like me a woman who looks older than 12 down south, how the hell this shave everything to look like a 11 year old girl thing started is beyond me.

Life was GROOVY BABY! Now, if lucky, life is fleek. Whatever the hell that means.

Being a massive fan of vintage cartoons (Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, MGM, Hanna-Barbera, etc.), I cannot believe that I didn't start my rant about how awful cartoons / animated series are, these days! Where are the slick jokes and punch lines that even adults can enjoy? Where is the brilliant animation? Where are the iconic orchestral scores, that are as critical to the cartoon short, as are the animation and story line? Going to the theater to witness the magic of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts, was an event in itself, back in the day! These 'shorts' are timeless and so historically significant! Hanna-Barbera shows such as 'The Flintstones', 'The Jetsons', 'Top Cat', etc. were nothing short of brilliant T.V shows, that could be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike! 

I remember this particular incident in the kindergarten, where my mom was a teacher. As part of an interactive exercise, the kids were asked about their favourite cartoon characters. The shocking thing was that (I am not making this up!), not one of them knew who Bugs Bunny was! :blink: My mom was stunned, to say the least! Oh and the hands-down favourites among these kids, were 'Sponge-Bob Square Pants' and 'Dora The Explorer'! :rolleyes:

I am afraid for the future generations! I really am! IMO, cartoons today are either too dumbed-down with contrived story lines and shitty animation or they border on grotesque! For instance, what kind of name is 'Oggy and the Cockroaches'?! :huh:

The only modern cartoon shows that I can (occasionally!) watch (without throwing up) are 'The Powerpuff Girls', 'Courage The Cowardly Dog' and 'Dexter's Laboratory'. I am also a fan of 'Pokemon' (but that's about as far as I will go!). 

Being a massive fan of vintage cartoons (Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, MGM, Hanna-Barbera, etc.), I cannot believe that I didn't start my rant about how awful cartoons / animated series are, these days! Where are the slick jokes and punch lines that even adults can enjoy? Where is the brilliant animation? Where are the iconic orchestral scores, that are as critical to the cartoon short, as are the animation and story line? Going to the theater to witness the magic of Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies shorts, was an event in itself, back in the day! These 'shorts' are timeless and so historically significant! Hanna-Barbera shows such as 'The Flintstones', 'The Jetsons', 'Top Cat', etc. were nothing short of brilliant T.V shows, that could be enjoyed by both kids and adults alike! 

I remember this particular incident in the kindergarten, where my mom was a teacher. As part of an interactive exercise, the kids were asked about their favourite cartoon characters. The shocking thing was that (I am not making this up!), not one of them knew who Bugs Bunny was! :blink: My mom was stunned, to say the least! Oh and the hands-down favourites among these kids, were 'Sponge-Bob Square Pants' and 'Dora The Explorer'! :rolleyes:

I am afraid for the future generations! I really am! IMO, cartoons today are either too dumbed-down with contrived story lines and shitty animation or they border on grotesque! For instance, what kind of name is 'Oggy and the Cockroaches'?! :huh:

The only modern cartoon shows that I can (occasionally!) watch (without throwing up) are 'The Powerpuff Girls', 'Courage The Cowardly Dog' and 'Dexter's Laboratory'. I am also a fan of 'Pokemon' (but that's about as far as I will go!). 

Early Spongebob episodes were great. Such a shame Hillenburg sold out, went from being one of the best to one of the worst shows on tv overnight.

Criticism of declining quality

Critics' reviews of early SpongeBob episodes praised the show for its wit, clever humor, and "uncanny brilliance".[195] However, in 2005, around the airing of season four, the tone and emphasis of the show began to change. Some fans "began to turn away from the show", causing online fansites to "[become] deserted".[116] They pointed to a shift from clever humor to what they perceived as "boring, unfunny humor [...] geared too much towards children".[196]

Paul Tibbitt, showrunner since season four, has been the subject of criticism.[196] While The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was generally well received by fans of the show, it is also considered a turning point in the show's history, as many fans believe the decline occurred after the film's release,[116] when Stephen Hillenburg resigned as showrunner and Tibbitt was appointed to replace him. Episodes produced since the movie have been variously categorized as "kid-pandering attention-waster",[197] "tedious",[198] "boring" and "dreck",[199] a "depressing plateau of mediocrity",[200] and "laugh-skimpy".[201]

Some believe the show's ratings decline as of 2012 correlates with the alleged decline in quality, and "whatever fan support [the show] enjoys is not enough" to save it from its ratings slide.[116]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpongeBob_SquarePants#Criticism_of_declining_quality

^Couldn't have said it better myself, except the movie sucked too. 

Anyways Preetha, there are a few enjoyable new cartoons. Regular Show is a good one, at least the earlier seasons were, although I fear it has been going down the same road as Spongebob lately. Teen Titans Go! is a fun one too.

Absolutely, Virginia. My old trusted Mr. Coffee from the 1970s lasted over thirty years and through 8 different moves. I have since had to go thru 3 coffee makers in the last 7 years.

We go through one every 12-18 months and we don't even really use it much during the week! We just buy the cheap pots with timers since they are more or less disposable.

Couldn't agree with you more, Virginia! Just the other day, I tried watching some 'brand new' sitcoms on Comedy Central (the 1st show was called 'Your Family or Mine' and the 2nd show was called 'Mom'). I just couldn't believe how contrived the story lines were. The 'punch lines' were just idiotic and over-sexualized! It was just an embarrassing spectacle! The only shows that I really love from the 21st Century are 'The Big Bang Theory' and 'Modern Family'. Sitcoms are just going to the dogs, at this point! When I think back to sitcoms like 'Seinfeld', 'Cheers', 'Full House', 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air', 'Friends', etc., I can't help but shake my head in utter disbelief, regarding the current state of sitcoms today. 

I haven't watched Modern Family but yeah, the sitcoms I've seen are awful. Although I did forget about Kimmy Schmidt; that's pretty funny, but of course, Tina Fey! :)

I still haven't found anything to top The West Wing either re: dramas. That's still at the top of my list!

From talking to people, i have heard that halloween was not about candy and going door to door...it was about ringing houses bells and running and kids throwing chaulk dust at each other...about 70 yrs ago from what i hear. And the going door to door with pillow cases was done for thanksgiving...where kids got apples, nuts, bread and money....very interesting.

I bought a GE clock radio from a pawn shop for $5.00 in 1975 or so and I still use it. I had an MGA 20 inch monitor TV for 20 years before it quit. I also bought a new set of Sony Pro headphones ($100) and they crapped out in less than a year. Had another set that did the same thing. Fuck Sony. I remember having a set of drums made by 'Crest' and they were the worst sounding drums ever. I was such a dumbass for letting my Ludwig set get reposessed. Now I have a Roland TD-11 set and I hope it too can hold up over time.

My girlfriend has an old Coldspot upright freezer in her basement and it keeps on going. She's afraid to defrost it and thinks it might quit.

Fisher Price toys (wooden little people; more toys made from wood/heavier materials).

Coca Cola (old style); the new green label is close but not quite right

Shoes; women's shoes right now are awful; non-athletic shoes are either 6' stilettos, boots, Dansko-like or you can roll them up in a ball.

Oh...the Search Function of this Forum. Complete chaos.

This. Jason's got new tour dates for JBLZE but apparently that thread does not exist according to the Search Function. Anyway, people should check out jasonbonham.net for new tour dates.

p.s. He's got a cool new website now, too.

Manners, spelling, punctuation, music, fashion, hair,  pot. No fucking Hipsters.

AMEN. I have so many grammar pet peeves, but add to that how people talk. With twitter and shortened school pushing students through like products on an assembly line, every other word is 'like' or 'bro', etc.

Coffee makers and manners/civility.

Movies (everything is CGI now) and tv sitcoms (except the Big Bang Theory).

Manners - good point.

Some sitcoms are still great - "BBT", "Modern Family", and this new one I stumbled on "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend". Now normally musical comedy about crazy ex chasing her bf would not lure me (seemed desperate and sexist), but despite all that, I really enjoyed the talent and actual message in the first episode.

To add to this list, coffee. Not makers, but the beverage itself. It's just harder to find a good quality cup with the franchises on every corner serving hickory chips with hot water. 

pot

Ummmm...
Think I'm gonna hafta disagree on this one.

I am a true 70s child, and though many things seem so much better through the filmy, soft-focus lens of fond memory, there is no comparison between the weed of today and back in the day.

There were some memorable strains of Gold bud, the far superior Red bud, and even some dark sticky Black bud that came around, as well as the advent of sinsemilla, but none of that compares to the high-octane brain-fuck that is standard issue these days.
Though I never got to try any, I believe there were some Hawaiian strains - I remember the name Elephant supposedly being one of the best of all - that may have approached today's standards, but it was a very rare exception.

I'll take today's weed every time.
It probably has a higher potency than much of the hash and Thai stick and other specialty stuff from back then.

Unfortunately we live in a disposable society and whilst the quality of products is good in the short term they are manufactured with planned obsolescence in mind, hence the short life span.

"Smart" phones and computer operating systems upgrades are prime examples. In days gone by TV's came with a 25 year guarantee and some of them lasted even longer, now their "lives" are measured in hours. Today we have digital transmissions replacing analogue so there is a need to either buy a set top box or one inbuilt into a new TV.

Unfortunately we live in a disposable society and whilst the quality of products is good in the short term they are manufactured with planned obsolescence in mind, hence the short life span.

"Smart" phones and computer operating systems upgrades are prime examples. In days gone by TV's came with a 25 year guarantee and some of them lasted even longer, now their "lives" are measured in hours. Today we have digital transmissions replacing analogue so there is a need to either buy a set top box or one inbuilt into a new TV.

I'm still using a twenty year old Nokia TV, which was originally bought by my parents. They gave it to me in 2010 or something like that, when I was a student. I can't imagine a modern television working 20 years from now.

Archived