Strider

I don't know where you got that content from, but I never said it. I looked back through my "content" to make sure, but I already knew I never said it because it's not my diction. I don't always remember everything I have said, but I don't use the phrase "double down." How did you piece together this "quote"???

No you didn't.  That was my response to one of your posts.  I screwed up an attempt to quote your earlier post.  My apologies.

Thank you for clearing that up, because I was baffled myself when I saw your earlier post. It seems many people are having problems with the quoting system now. I wonder if it depends on whether you are using desktop, laptop, or phone to post?

Ever noticed how certain things aren't what they used to be? You buy something and it barely makes it through the summer before falling apart. Manufacturing quality don't seem to be up to previous standards. Holiday or venerable traditions have mutated or been eliminated altogether. This is a thread for those who want to shake their fist in the air and rail at modern society "Hey! Get off my lawn you damn kids!"

I will start with TOASTERS!

Yes, toasters. My aunt has a toaster that she bought in the 1960s and the darn thing still works like a demon. Meanwhile, my most recent toaster barely lasted three years.

We replaced our toaster oven with a Krupps Toaster several months ago. So, far, it's performing well.

It's a 2-slice toaster that can handle the larger artisan bread slices.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81TfUdnC1lL._SL1500_.jpg

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcFlUekffh8

Socks.

My gripe about socks in this global manufacturing age that we are now in, is that when I buy the exact same brand and size of dress socks that I like, from Wal-Mart, because the current stock was made in a different country than my previous purchase, the sock calf lengths are different by several inches.

In the "old days" you could trust a brand to fit the same based on their sizing.

I have had the same unpleasant experience with shoes and sweat pants.

If young people in the 70's and 80's could have found a way to get music and or anything else for free, we all would have done it. 

In the late 60's and early 70's, we got great wonderful music for free, at home, and in the car, over our friendly FM Rock radio station.

This non-commerical style of playing ONLY music that was "cool," regardless of specific genre, was most enjoyable. I've listened to today's satellite radio's "deep cut" stations, and, frankly, none of their channels come close to that freeform style that was so satisfying in the early 70's. Everything today is slotted into a genre. And, classic rock radio's shallow playlist of rock staples is something I stay far far away from. Back in the day, IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC. The music spoke for itself, and we did not need or even want "a personality" to DJ to music. Just someone who sincerely loved the music they were playing, and were not just being a paid "monkey" for some conglomerate's consultant driven playlist.

In the late 60's and early 70's, we got great wonderful music for free, at home, and in the car, over our friendly FM Rock radio station.

This non-commerical style of playing ONLY music that was "cool," regardless of specific genre, was most enjoyable. I've listened to today's satellite radio's "deep cut" stations, and, frankly, none of their channels come close to that freeform style that was so satisfying in the early 70's. Everything today is slotted into a genre. And, classic rock radio's shallow playlist of rock staples is something I stay far far away from. Back in the day, IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC. The music spoke for itself, and we did not need or even want "a personality" to DJ to music. Just someone who sincerely loved the music they were playing, and were not just being a paid "monkey" for some conglomerate's consultant driven playlist.

I miss the Top 40 radio format.  I liked how it included recordings from all of the popular music genres.

In the old days you could carry a rifle on a rifle rack in the back window of your pickup truck going down the road and nobody would shit themselves---- even in California.

California used to be a great place to live, now it's turned to SHIT.

Here! Here! It's totally run by wackos. I was all for them splitting it up into 6 or 7 states. You know, break away from Mother Russia. 

I miss the Top 40 radio format.  I liked how it included recordings from all of the popular music genres.

Yep. Like songs by:

Them

The Four Tops

James Brown

The Temptations

The Animals

The Yardbirds

The Beach Boys

The Turtles

Chad & Jeremy

The Beatles

And on and on.

YES THANK YOU!!!  Just what I said.

How many of us learned from out fathers in the driveway the classic ignition system? Who sees that anymore?  We could change the plugs, points, condenser and rotor in a few minutes and have the ignition re timed perfectly.

Nothing pisses me off more than needing to remove the battery; remove the coolant over-flow and several other brackets just to change a friggin headlamp.  I don't need no bluetooth, no GPS, no satellite radio, no back up cameras, no charging ports--- or any of that other shit in my car.  What I really prefer is enough room under the hood to change a damn sparkplug without having to pull the engine out of the car.

Damn straight! I am looking to buy a 1976 Jeep CJ7 with the original Dana transfer case & axels'. Once I find the one I like I will drop a chevy 283ci with a Rochester Quadrajet carb, and marry it to one of those indestructible Toyota 5 speed manual trannys. SWEET! 

Remember when machines would turn OFF when you hit the 'off' button/switch?

I don't like these new-fangled things that only 'sleep' when you turn them off, but they still glow and emit noise. Copier machines, stereos, computers, etc...it's like they are in cahoots with each other, communicating in secret. 

I don't trust something that doesn't turn all the way off. Nowadays you have to yank the damn cord out of the socket to get any sleep.

Sounds good.  I keep looking for one of these babies.

19032451-770-0@2X.jpg

Hell yes, those Scout's were sweet vehicles. Every time I see one I think about Deliverance. Damn fine vehicle though, just as good as the Jeep IMO but more space.

Sounds good.  I keep looking for one of these babies.

19032451-770-0@2X.jpg

Hell yes, those Scout's were sweet vehicles. Every time I see one I think about Deliverance. Damn fine vehicle though, just as good as the Jeep IMO but more space.

Here's the Zombie Apocalypse Transportation I want.
And $13,000 ain't a bad price when it only has 31K original miles on a
Continental multifuel engine that's currently running off diesel & used motor oil.

00JBVwM.jpg

Queen's English Society says enuf is enough, innit?

Society formed 40 years ago to protect language against poor spelling and grammar closes because too few people care

The Queen may be celebrating her jubilee, but the Queen's English Society, which has railed against the misuse and deterioration of the English language, is to fold.

For 40 years the society has championed good English – and hasn't been above the occasional criticism of the Queen's own pronouncements – but it has finally conceded that it cannot survive in the era of textspeak and Twitter.

Having attempted to identify a role for the society and its magazine, Quest, "for the next 40 years", the society chairman, Rhea Williams, decided it was time to close. She announced the group's demise in a terse message to members following the annual meeting, which just 22 people attended. "Despite the sending out of a request for nominations for chairman, vice-chairman, administrator, webmaster and membership secretary, no one came forward to fill any role," she said. "So I have to inform you that QES will no longer exist. There will be one more Quest, then all activity will cease and the society will be wound up". 

She said it was sad that the society was to close but added that the difficulty in getting people to take on roles in the society was a problem being experienced by other groups across the UK.

"Things change, people change," she said. "People care about different things. If you look at lots of societies, lots of them are having problems. Lives have changed dramatically over the last 40 years. People don't want to join societies like they used to."

Former Tory MP Gyles Brandreth, the society's patron, was nevertheless optimistic: "The Queen's English isn't under threat. Her Majesty can sleep easy. The language is still in the good hands of all the people who speak good English."

He described the members and organisers of the society as "a group of enthusiasts celebrating the richness and diversity of the English language", and is convinced that whether or not enough volunteers can be found to keep the society going, their enthusiasm and love for good English will live on.

He added: "I spoke to the society about six months ago. They were in good heart."

The closure followed a major setback earlier this year when the society's plans for an Academy of Contemporary English collapsed.

Dr Bernard Lamb, president of the society, refused to accept that it was about to close. "I think our chairman is wrong to say it will cease to exist," he insisted. "The trouble is, these days no one wants to join a committee."

He added: "We've achieved more than our numbers would suggest. We've brought to public attention the very low standards of English that exist. We've provided hard evidence, not just anecdotes, on standards."

Among the issues that the society has championed over the years are the need to improve the standard of written and spoken English in Britain, the revival of the reading of stories to young children to get them to appreciate and understand the language from an early age, and the improvement of the standard of English in exams. One of its biggest achievements was to help shape the spelling, punctuation and grammar elements of English in the national curriculum. It has also highlighted deficiencies in the use of English by university undergraduates – more than 80% were unable to spell and use the word "effect" correctly, while 43% were unable to spell the word "miniature".

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jun/04/queens-english-society-enuf-innit

Text Messaging and the Decline of the English Language

As someone who taught English in state schools for more than thirty years nothing gives me more pain than to see the current standard of pupils’ English. Where previously many students spent their evenings and weekends reading Shakespeare and Dickens, now the majority of them are entirely occupied with chatting with their friends online and playing video games. Unless action is taken we will be rearing a nation of virtual illiterates. Anyone who cares about the Queen’s English should be very concerned about recent developments.

However, it is not video games or Facebook which are chiefly responsible for this sad state of affairs. The worst culprit must be the mobile phone and its recent descendants, high tech tablets which children can carry around with them at all times. Many people would ask what the problem with mobile phones could possibly be. The answer is short and simple (like the messages themselves). The problem is SMS texting. While mobile phones certainly have their uses – for example, if your car breaks down on the motorway it is very useful if you can phone your husband to ask for assistance – SMS messages are wholly negative.

The main problem with SMS messages stems from the fact that the messages have to be short and the number of characters is limited. This has resulted in the development of text abbreviations. If students type ‘c u l8r’ instead of ‘see you later’ then they can save characters and type longer messages. While this might at first glance seem to be a positive thing, it has a negative effect on our childrens’ English in the long term. Some students are very easily confused and after spending the week hammering out text abbreviations it is obvious that these expressions will find their way into the students’ homework and eventually their exams. The result will be that many students will fail their exams. Employers everywhere are in fact complaining about the falling English standards of young people. The only consequence can be higher unemployment.

Sadly, the rise of SMS messaging reflects another unfortunate trend in our nation’s youth. Young people today are for the most part incapable of sitting down and reading anything more than a few sentences long. This is hardly surprising if the only reading practice they get is of reading inane messages of fewer than fifty words. I remember my youth when I got my grounding in English reading the wonderful works of Jane Austen, with a glass of lemonade in my hand. I very much doubt that this will be the case with my granddaughter and there is no doubt that we have lost something very important as a result.

Another worrying aspect of the text messaging fad is that young people continually develop these messages as a form of code in order to conceal things from their parents. The average parent could no more read a teenager’s SMS message than they could read Arabic. As a result it is difficult for responsible parents and grandparents to monitor and control their children’s behavior. If you visit this publication’s home page you will find a list of up to date expressions but these change daily as teenagers find ways to avoid the protection of their families.

Unfortunately this does seem to be a problem without a solution. However, there are some things which can be done. Parents should resist children’s requests for mobile phones for as long as possible and limit and control their use. Schools and universities can implement a zero tolerance policy for them on their premises. It may be said that these actions would be ineffective and it is true that it seems as if we are trying to turn back an irresistible tide. However the effort is well worth making. Fifty years ago our society was a peaceful place, free of violence, with intelligent and articulate children. Who would not want to return to those times?

Source : https://aepl7.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/text-messaging-and-the-decline-of-the-english-language/

A lot of great things here. Strider I had to laugh at your comment about turning things off :-) So true and great thread!

Since so much has been mentioned already, how about respect for elders. It is almost a sin in this country to be old now. When I was growing up we were taught to respect our elders. I have always liked talking to people older than me as I think you can learn so much.       

Very good article Kiwi.  I keep telling people that so called "smart phones" are actually making people dumb.  It's almost like a diabolical plot or something to control the population. 

You're absolutely right, LIVIN'! 'Smart' phones are indeed making people dumber! That article which I posted, expresses my sentiments on the role of smart phones and text messaging, in dumbing down the English language, perfectly! Being part of the 'younger generation', people look at me funny, for not having a smart phone and for using complete sentences in a text (whenever I see the need to actually send a text message)! :lol: I have even read instances of high school students using texting 'lingo' to construct their literary critiques on Shakespeare plays! :wacko: Proponents argue that the English language itself will die, if it fails to 'constantly evolve' over time! I am all for evolution and the like, but a dumbing down?! Hell, no! 

A lot of great things here. Strider I had to laugh at your comment about turning things off :-) So true and great thread!

Since so much has been mentioned already, how about respect for elders. It is almost a sin in this country to be old now. When I was growing up we were taught to respect our elders. I have always liked talking to people older than me as I think you can learn so much.       

Wonderful post, Deb! I couldn't agree more! I feel lucky to have had quite a few older role models in my life (aside from my parents, of course!). One such role model was my dissertation supervisor during my Honours and Master's degree. He is a year younger than my dad and is incredibly dignified, rather laid-back and humble, considering the fact that he has a PhD from Princeton! IMO, he was so much more than just a dissertation supervisor! He was a life mentor and I really enjoyed learning from and interacting with him for two whole years! It really annoyed me, to see some undergraduate and postgraduate students talking down to him and taking him for granted! 

You're absolutely right, LIVIN'! 'Smart' phones are indeed making people dumber! That article which I posted, expresses my sentiments on the role of smart phones and text messaging, in dumbing down the English language, perfectly! Being part of the 'younger generation', people look at me funny, for not having a smart phone and for using complete sentences in a text (whenever I see the need to actually send a text message)! :lol: I have even read instances of high school students using texting 'lingo' to construct their literary critiques on Shakespeare plays! :wacko: Proponents argue that the English language itself will die, if it fails to 'constantly evolve' over time! I am all for evolution and the like, but a dumbing down?! Hell, no! 

I don't have your excellent mastery of the language, but I agree with your point on texts.  I have a cell phone by actually use it to TALK on because it is a phone.  Texts are sometimes useful to leave a message, but a conversation deserves much more than just a few broken up words and phrases so I prefer to email.  Sadly however, most people are using smart phones now to access their email accounts, so now even email responses are pretty much like text messages as well.

Don't even get me started on what they teach in schools now.  I've heard that in some schools they have discontinued teaching student cursive as most of the teachers now only know how to print.   When I got a note from one of my kids' high school teachers I was horrified that it was in print and instead of 'dotting the i's she had made little circles over the eyes, and corrections were just cross outs in ink. 

Another thing that bothers the hell out of me that in this age of technology very few young people know how to type (asdfjkl;) and just "hunt and peck" on the computer.  In my day we were all required to take typing courses in high school as all reports had to be typed.

• 2 months later...

I was reminded of this thread, when I read an article on the decline of test cricket (both in terms of popularity and in terms of quality). Being someone who grew up on more than a healthy dose of test cricket, to say that I am disappointed with the current state of the game (what with the emergence of incredibly watered down versions such as T-20 :blink: ), will be the understatement of the year. I get the appeal of ODIs. But of T-20? Well I'm not so sure! :unsure: 

Just yesterday, I was reading a captivating book on the history of the Ashes, featuring legends like Bradman, Armstrong, Hobbs, Hammond and so many others and judging by the vivid description of the reaction of the massive crowds that test cricket drew, I couldn't help but wonder whether test cricket will ever get that spark back again, in the modern era. 

I get that these shortened versions of the game, are far more exciting to many, but nevertheless, Test match cricket will always be my first love. As the old saying goes 'Original and the Best!' B) So, in answer to this thread, Test Cricket was something that was indeed, better in the good old days. I hope this version of the game survives the modern era! :wacko: 

Test cricket is in the doldrums - we need to get creative to make it appealing in the modern era

Michael Vaughan: Dwindling crowds and unfavourable comparisons with the razzmatazz of Twenty20 are a reminder that something must be done

Test cricket is in the doldrums - we need to get creative to make it appealing in the modern era

One man and his bag watch the fourth day of the Australia vs New Zealand test Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Michael Vaughan 3:43PM GMT 29 Dec 2015

Test cricket has a problem and we have to accept it has to change to suit modern life.

I am a traditionalist. I was a player suited to Test match cricket and I loved the long form of the game in the way it challenged every aspect of your technique and character.

But as a father of three kids would I take my children to a day of Test cricket? Probably not. A night out at the Twenty20 is where they want to go. We’ve had some cracking nights out at Yorkshire v Lancashire in the Natwest Blast. There are fours and sixes, music blaring out, big crowds with a good atmosphere and plenty of things going on behind the stands to entertain you away from the cricket. It is an occasion built around fun and having a good time.

zayedstadium_3471089b.jpg

Empty stands greet players from England and Pakistan in Abu Dhabi

I don’t think I am the only one thinking this way. Look at the crowds for the two Boxing Day Tests in Durban and Melbourne.

In South Africa England are playing the world’s best side. It is holiday season, and apart from Boxing Day itself the weather has been great, but the highest attendance was around 12,000 on day one. It was 5,670 on Tuesday. In the UAE the number of fans at the Tests against Pakistan could have been counted in the hundreds.

In Melbourne, at the vast MCG, the Boxing Day crowd for day one of the Test between Australia and West Indies was 53,389. It was 91,000 for the Ashes Test two years ago.

It fell to 7,161 on the fourth day against West Indies as Australia chased victory. In a ground that holds 100,000 people that is a very bad look for the game. There were probably more bar staff at the MCG for the Ashes Test than paying punters on Tuesday.

zayedstadium2_3471152b.jpg

Swathes of empty seats have become commonplace at Test matches

There were only around 15,000 at the first Test between Australia and West Indies in Hobart and the matches against New Zealand in November, which promised to be tight contests, in Perth and Brisbane were also poorly attended.

The floodlit Test in Adelaide against the Kiwis was better with 123,736 fans across the three days and that was great to see. It can only lead to more day-night Tests.

Yes the West indies are poor opposition and the Tests boring, one sided contests but cricket fans in Australia also have another pull on their time at the moment. The Big Bash is on and the crowds are strong. Why go to a Test when you can watch a T20 game where the tickets are so much cheaper.

A family ticket (2 adults, 2 kids) for the Melbourne Renegades is 42 Australian dollars (£20). One adult ticket for the first day of the Boxing Day Test at the MCG started at 40 Australian dollars. Cricket Australia has now launched a review of ticket prices at Tests and that is a hugely encouraging step.

adelaide-oval_3511745b.jpg

The day/night Australia vs New Zealand Test worked well

We have to make Test cricket cheaper to watch and that is especially true in England where the prices can be outrageous.

We almost have to look at Test cricket like the county championship. The one-dayers and Twenty20 can pay for Tests. If we have to give tickets away for Test matches then let’s do it. Seeing rows and rows of empty seats isa poor advert. The casual TV viewer will turn over thinking why should I bother?

The product itself is not what it used to be. The standard of Test cricket has declined. There are three decent teams at the top. The rest are fairly average and in most cases declining further.

Test cricket has barely changed over the years. It has no context. The ICC has been unable to organise a world Test championship, citing the opposition of broadcasters and what to do in the event of a draw in the final or semi-final.

Meanwhile, the game meanders on with bilateral series to decide the world no 1 in with a points system that nobody outside the ICC can understand.

Why not have two divisions with each side playing one another on a set basis with promotion and relegation? The West Indies are not good enough at the moment to be playing Australia. Their best players are in Australia but playing for Big Bash teams not the West Indies. Money talks.

A combined Big Bash XI would beat this West Indies team. They should be in division two. A top division of six with a bottom division of another six bringing Ireland and Afghanistan in the fold. The associates are desperate to play Tests. Give them a chance.

India have a decent side but the desperation to win at home has seen them produce some poor pitches. I understand the fact coaches and captains are under pressure to win, and I love home advantage and the fact teams have to learn to play in all types of conditions. But it is a fine balance and the pitches in India for the recent series against South Africa were just not good enough.

ausout_3399414b.jpg

The pitch at Trent Bridge against Australia last summer went too far

England do not escape criticism. The pitch at Trent Bridge against Australia last summer went too far but the ECB felt they had to win. Great for England and the players, but that is not good for Test cricket.

In 2016 England are scheduled to play 17 Test matches. This follows 14 in 2015. Add on in 2016 around 30 one-dayers, about 10 Twenty20s and that is roughly 130 days of England cricket.

How can you sell out 130 days of cricket? Would the England football team sell out 130 matches or a club side other than Manchester United? No chance. We have always been immune in England to declining Test match attendances thanks largely to the fact we have crammed in so many Ashes series in recent years but next summer with three Tests against Sri Lanka and four against Pakistan is a hard sell. The counties are struggling already to shift tickets.

Twenty20_3537068b.jpg

Twenty20 is more appealing for many punters

People have so many other calls on their time. So perhaps we have to speed up the pace of Test cricket. I like the idea of four day Tests with 96 overs per day. If the teams are too slow to bowl them, turn on the floodlights and make them stay out there. I can assure you teams will soon speed up the over rates if the ICC actually punished captains properly for dawdling.

Why not have coloured clothing and names on the backs of shirts in Test cricket? Traditionalists would not like it but would they really turn away from the game? I doubt it, and anyway it is new fans we need to attract.

Overall I don’t think cricket has a problem with crowds when you take in all the different formats and domestic Twenty20 tournaments. There are plenty of people watching cricket on television and at the grounds.

It is just Test cricket that needs a bit of help and imaginative thinking to make it more appealing in the modern era.

Source : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/12073184/Test-cricket-is-in-the-doldrums-we-need-to-get-creative-to-make-it-appealing-in-the-modern-era.html

Archived