Phil Collins back with band- Jason Bohnam on drums?

muybein

The last Phil Collins interview I read, he came across as very depressed because of the chronic wrist pain he was dealing with.  I'm glad to read that he is in a better place now.  Congratulations to Jason Bonham for landing such a prestigious gig.  

HOORAY!!! I can hardly wait for Jason to jam out Sussudio and Hold on My Heart...Just epic!

I am with you:-) There was a post in the Other Bands/Music thread about Phil coming back...but yes, with Jason this should be really great. I just hope they come to this area :)

Firstly and mostly, I'm very happy that Phil has found his way out of the darkness and into a new creative cycle. I'm happy for Jason, too, as in previous interviews he's spoken of Phil fondly. Hopefully this includes some new music on the horizon. Looking forward to hearing what they make together.

Remember that Collins played at least part of Robert's first solo tour(saw it)and he played great. Forget

the Live Aid travesty, he can actually play somewhat like Bonzo and played great fusion with a band

called Brand X. I like some of his solo stuff but he isn't essential listening obviously.

lol poor Phil's not even gotten out of the gate and some people want to shut it:

'There is too much suffering in the world': Music fans launch petition demanding the United Nations step in and stop Phil Collins from coming out of retirement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3302870/Petition-aims-stop-Phil-Collins-returning-music.html

It does say that Phil wants to make a new album, which is most encouraging.

I have to say...,where in the world did so much popularized phil collins bashing come from? This is like the media in the 70s being anti led zeppelin and black sabbath. It does not make sense....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins#Criticism_and_praise

Interesting quotes about the Live Aid thing in there. 

Guitarist Jimmy Page, whose band Led Zeppelin gave a poorly-received reunion set with Collins at Live Aid that the group later disowned,[164] alleged that Collins "hadn't learned" his drum part. Page said: "You can get away with that in a pop band but not with Led Zeppelin".[165] Collins responded by saying that the band "weren't very good" and that he "was made to feel a little uncomfortable by the dribbling Jimmy Page." To avoid negative attention, he persisted with the set rather than leave the stage.[166] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins#Criticism_and_praise

Interesting quotes about the Live Aid thing in there. 

Guitarist Jimmy Page, whose band Led Zeppelin gave a poorly-received reunion set with Collins at Live Aid that the group later disowned,[164] alleged that Collins "hadn't learned" his drum part. Page said: "You can get away with that in a pop band but not with Led Zeppelin".[165] Collins responded by saying that the band "weren't very good" and that he "was made to feel a little uncomfortable by the dribbling Jimmy Page." To avoid negative attention, he persisted with the set rather than leave the stage.[166] 

Phil... imagine a Genesis reunion. The Genesis reunion.. Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel come back for one show only..  and surprise.. Jimmy Page is going to sit in! Just flew over on the Concorde, sat in with Sting, Eric Clapton and did a solo set at both locations.. You know damn well he doesn't know the Genesis material. 

I'm sure you'd make him feel uncomfortable.. 

All kidding aside, I don't hate Collins and feel he is an amazing talent. The only problem with Collins is his appearance at selling out just to make the big cash grab. If Collins had been in a more mainstream band, or rather a band that was not so musically out there as Genesis was pre-1978, I don't think people would have really noticed. However, going from Suppers Ready and Dance on a Volcano to fucking Don't Lose My Number & Take Me Home was a massive shift in direction and perspective by Collins, and that was only the beginning. One could point out Genesis was moving in that direction beginning with And Then There Were Three and then fairly obvious by the time of Duke, but No Jacket Required was pure 80's pop, super safe, and in 1984 if someone asked a musician to write a guaranteed mid-80's success album with all the current trends and cliche's, you would be hard pressed to find a better example than both NJR & Genesis's self titled album from 83'. Collins was all over the place in the 80's, music, movies, and divorce via fax machine kinda made the man the poster child of selling out and just being a dick in general.

In reality most of this is just blown out of proportion due to Collins roots in music, it's kinda like the lothario from college who beds hundreds of ladies only to come out later as a flaming queen, or more appropriately, Frank Zappa or Jon Anderson forming a rap group. I am sure Collins always had that commercial side to him and the ability to take good music and make it popular, but the masses only saw Collins as a sell out.

Even though I don't like much of Collins output from 1883 on, I still respect him as a musician and applaud his success. After all, the starving artist may be viewed as the picture of integrity, but most people still want to pay the bills and have a comfortable life. As for the whole divorce by fax debacle, that was a personal matter, maybe his soon to be ex was a psychopath and Collins believed this was the best way to handle it, who knows.

Good for Phil, I really hope he comes back and does so with style and grace. 

Edited by IpMan

I have fond memories of dancing to Take Me Home during the mid 1980's.  Like you, I never held making more commercial music against Phil Collins or anyone else.  Popular music, no matter what the genre, isn't sacrosanct.  Professional musicians and singers have to either find a way to earn a living at it or do something else.   If this means making music for the masses instead of a small but dedicated following; so be it.  

Phil... imagine a Genesis reunion. The Genesis reunion.. Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel come back for one show only..  and surprise.. Jimmy Page is going to sit in! Just flew over on the Concorde, sat in with Sting, Eric Clapton and did a solo set at both locations.. You know damn well he doesn't know the Genesis material. 

I'm sure you'd make him feel uncomfortable.. 

lol

Yea, I've always felt like Phil kind of invited himself to the Zep reunion thing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...