Jimmy Page's Persona

BlueGhost

I was just browsing /r/ledzeppelin and saw a post about Jimmy Page's Personality. In it, the author was essentially curious about the allure of Jimmy Page's personality and the aura he has, despite seeming to be so mild mannered. Initially I laughed, but realized that Page really is perhaps the most interesting character of the band. Often when I read about Zep and dive into the legends surrounding them, Page's antics are what make me so curious. I mean his obsession with Crowley and the occult, Boleskine house, coupled with the fact that he barely talks but seems very likeable, really is what gave Zeppelin it's depth.

Additionally, despite being the quietest and most mysterious, he is the one who produced the music and coordinated the talent of the other musicians. He also handled business affairs and started the band. Jimmy Page really has that mysterious persona and his power seems to emanate from him. I am a college student and I see him as a role model because of the strength of his personality.

There is something about him I can't put my finger on. I get a similar feeling from characters like Michael Corleone from the Godfather, and other powerful quiet men like J.D. Rockefeller. They all have classic, thoughtful personalities and earned their power through their own determination and cunning. Personas that remind me of earlier times perhaps. Many modern CEOs and businessmen seem to lack this character, they are more "win friends and influence people" and phony, but I can tell Page has real character.

I understand you guys may not relate, as I couldn't find anyone expressing this in other places, but I really get the sense that Jimmy Page is a man of substance and will that bends to no one, despite being mild mannered. It is a power and confidence, a nobility that shines through in both his external manners, and also his extreme and proficiency in guitar, business, music production, and also the obvious fact that he is very well educated in certain subjects (occult). 

Rockstars and many guitarists after Page just seem to be fake, and more concerned about their image, while Page doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks and has that true depth. The rock bands that followed emulated him, using occult symbols and such, not to mention the musical influence. But they all seem so fake beside Page.

Page likely is just naturally disposed to this noble persona. Jim Morrison also seems to have this authentic and mysterious flair. I would like to discuss whether others notice this too, and maybe talk about why he is like this, and what you think makes him different than most people. This is an important topic, as Page really is the force that made guitar and rock music so much more sexual and interesting, despite seeming quite androgynous himself. 

jimmy page is what we call an enigma. he's very mysterious but gives you just enough to keep you hanging on. you find that with every piece of information he gives you, you want to know more.

while Page doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks and has that true depth.

this isnt true, he seemed to be pretty sensitive to what critics had to say about his music and things like that. he may not have showed it much but he definitely didn't like the criticism.

Jim Morrison also seems to have this authentic and mysterious flair. 

I feel the opposite. while I like the doors, jim morrison always seemed fake to me, trying to give off a persona as if he was some sort of profit. some of his lyrics and poems tell me he tried very hard to be esoteric; trying to give the illusion of depth to his thought when really a lot of it was just rambling.

jimmy page is what we call an enigma. he's very mysterious but gives you just enough to keep you hanging on. you find that with every piece of information he gives you, you want to know more.

this isnt true, he seemed to be pretty sensitive to what critics had to say about his music and things like that. he may not have showed it much but he definitely didn't like the criticism.

I feel the opposite. while I like the doors, jim morrison always seemed fake to me, trying to give off a persona as if he was some sort of profit. some of his lyrics and poems tell me he tried very hard to be esoteric; trying to give the illusion of depth to his thought when really a lot of it was just rambling.

A bit off topic, but my take on Morrison is that he shared the alienation from conventional American society that many young people of his era felt.  IMO, it's why his lyrics resonated so well with them.  He started out merely voicing this alienation in his lyrics.  Morrison's charisma led some of The Doors' fans to start viewing him as a prophet and somewhere along the way, he began to believe his own hype.  My point is that I think he was sincere.  His addictions or a lack of literary talent probably account for any lack of depth in his poems or lyrics.  It's probably more difficult to produce quality material when you're wasted much of the time.  

Jim Morrison was authentic and I like a lot of his lyrics which were in fact poetic. Song lyrics are rarely poetry in the usual sense of the word, because most poems have too many words to be sung and song lyrics have to rhyme and fit a rhythm as well as being sing-able.

Edgar Allan Poe and Samuel Coleridge were "wasted a lot of the time."

As for Page, he is an interesting personality. I have my thoughts about his personality that I will keep to myself. As for the O.P.'s first post, all I can say is, are you studying advertising in college?

I'm not studying advertising or marketing, why? Do you think Page's attraction lies in his advertising ability, or is that what I seem drawn to?

You guys are right, Morrison's character is not that relevant to Jimmy Page's. They were both very much seekers of the truth and knowledge, which led them both to occult studies, which makes them stand out in music. sk8rat, you're right that Jimmy is very good at controlling his and Led Zeppelin's image; perhaps, that's why he shares so little.

I know most of my ramblings seem like BS, but really his real personality is so hidden that it is easy to just project characteristics on to him. I'd love hearing your thoughts on his personality even if they are totally different from what I'd thought. I understand his actions weren't always honorable, but still I find it easy to think about him in a positive way for some reason.

Jim Morrison was authentic and I like a lot of his lyrics which were in fact poetic. Song lyrics are rarely poetry in the usual sense of the word, because most poems have too many words to be sung and song lyrics have to rhyme and fit a rhythm as well as being sing-able.

Edgar Allan Poe and Samuel Coleridge were "wasted a lot of the time."

As for Page, he is an interesting personality. I have my thoughts about his personality that I will keep to myself. As for the O.P.'s first post, all I can say is, are you studying advertising in college?

Authentic.  That's the word I was looking for.  It is far better than "sincere" in this context.  

BlueGhost :wave: Very cool subject indeed. I don't think you're alone in some of the thoughts you've suggested.
Jimmy's persona is always a subject that 
piques my curiosity. He has a very alluring quality about him.
A lot of the personality traits and mannerisms Jimmy possesses are what peak my interest on him outside
of the music. It's probably why I like interviews where I not only hear him, but see him. Body language and voice
inflection can tell some interesting things too about people.

Eta: spelling error. one of those d'oh moments

BlueGhost :wave: Very cool subject indeed. I don't think you're alone in some of the thoughts you've suggested.
Jimmy's persona is always a subject that peaks my curiosity. He has a very alluring quality about him.
A lot of the personality traits and mannerisms Jimmy possesses are what peak my interest on him outside
of the music. It's probably why I like interviews where I not only hear him, but see him. Body language and voice
inflection 
can tell some interesting things too about people.

Did you mean "piques my curiousity"?

So true about seeing his body movements and physical reactions to questions, where he seems unable 

to hide his real feelings. I have to point out that after Bonzo died, as I was already a huge Zep/Page fan,

Page became one of the most legendary rock recluses ever. No net, no knowledge of addictions, barely

anything from Plant, etc. Remember also that at this time the relatively substandard playing of 77'-80'

was not really widely available on boots. So Page had disappeared pretty much with his legacy intact,

the harsh realities of the coming unauthorized biographies and rocky comebacks to come later.

Unfortunately for me, what was revealed and what did occur did change my image of Jimmy.

I certainly have compassion for him, but serious students of the occult/spirituality tend not to develop

polydrug habits. Not just me, some others have said this. And unlike some other famous addicted

players, the alcohol/drugs drastically affected Jimmy's live playing. All the other wild stuff....well, if nobody

really got hurt,etc., so what ?? Jimmy to me seemed so much more powerful and "enigmatic" before the

drug revelations and the subsequent devastation. Jimmy, unlike Keith Richards, couldn't play properly

fucked up. Your'e letting your'e fans down. Of course many play FU, but Page couldn't handle it.

Jimmy, unlike Keith Richards, couldn't play properly

fucked up. Your'e letting your'e fans down. Of course many play FU, but Page couldn't handle it.

to each his own, I would rather listen to jimmy page on his worst night than keith richard on his best.

Well because many of the Stones tours had different lineups and different roles for the 

various players, somehow people who saw one tour or whatever had Keith pigeonholed

simply as a rhythm guitarist . With Mick Taylor, absolutely Richards played 90% rhythm.

However when Ron Wood joined in 75' , things became a lot more murky. I saw them

in 89', and although Richards never gets up to Page's velocity, his solos were quite

distinctive( even used distortion a lot) and surprised many. Actually my main point

remains, if you can play blasted, fine. Jimmy is my absolute favorite but from 77' on

some of the live stuff is really almost painful to listen to. Not sure any other famous 

guitarist fell so hard. You have to remember, Jimmy really became a junkie, like

Richards, but Jimmy wasn't only addicted, his whole life went into the trash bin.

You have to remember, Jimmy really became a junkie, like Richards, but Jimmy wasn't only addicted, his whole life went into the trash bin.

This is one of the MOST ridiculous statements or sentences that I have ever read on this forum (and I am probably guilty of a couple of them myself). 

Drugs obviously are going to impact anyone's life negatively for different time lengths - and as debatable
as this statement sounds - it looked like it took it's toll on Jimmy more than Keith.  It should be noted I am
not talking about physical appearance - as in who looked more ragged. *cough Keith cough*  I'm only referring
to playing.  Maybe it comes off that way for me because I deem Jimmy a superiour guitar player. I rank him
higher and therefore the fall appeared to be that much worse.  I don't mind some of the Stones music, but I
don't listen to it or Keith's playing intently like I do Zeppelin's or Jimmy's.  Maybe others here will say that Keith
was impacted more career wise by drugs than Jimmy was.  It's really an opinion and not a fact.

I'm not someone who believes  '77 and on was the end of quality guitar playing from Jimmy. Hell fucking no! 
He did recover by becoming clean, and there is definitely some superb strumming in '77 and in later years
post Zep that I love hearing. Ha-ha and no Live Aid is not one of them. ;)

This post is so off topic from the original posters comment about Jimmy's persona, but this is what happens
on a Led Zeppelin forum and Jimmy Page. He generates a lot of conversation. :D

Have browsed here before, but this post got me to sign up, finally. 

I can remember flipping thru some magazine back in the 70's as a kid. It had posters rock posters for sale in one of the adds. Most were pretty straight forward, a picture of whatever band in some wacky 70s duds posing for the camera.

Then I saw a Led Zeppelin poster. This one was unusual because you rarely saw merchandise for the band, there were mysterious. The Led Zeppelin post had a picture of Jimmy with the double-neck, face mostly obscured by hair, and the whole thing overexposed by concert lights. Completely out of left field vs the other posters. I was hooked. Who is this guy? Why is he the only one shown, where is the rest of the band...? His presence was undeniable.

The thing I am very loathe to discuss is some of the events or lifestyles, conditions, etc., that Jimmy

fell into . If fans choose to investigate or not is not my place. It's certainly true that comparing Page

and Richards musically is not really possible except that both wrote and played great songs. Jimmy

was a hot rod guitarist even for his time and Richards played many great parts but never was flashy.

The thing with 77' and so on IMO was Page certainly played great on certain songs but It was

starting to be 3 really good, 2 mediocre, 1 bad, etc. I would also like to know of fans who disagree,how 

many full length 77' shows have you heard ??? In the opposite direction, how many fans have heard

10 or more P/P 98' shows ?? I saw those shows and have other shows, Page was burning the house

down 95% of the time. Many are totally ignorant of these shows.

This is one of the MOST ridiculous statements or sentences that I have ever read on this forum (and I am probably guilty of a couple of them myself). 

IMO, you can make a good argument that Page's life went into free fall when John Bonham died in 1980.  Within 3 years, his long-term relationship with Charlotte Martin ended.  He was addicted to heroin and his health deteriorated.  Unlike some of his rock peers, he couldn't function well as a musician while hooked on heroin so his career hit a brick wall as well.  

Well I guess I may be opening a Pandora's Box, but I was into Zep since 77' and even then Page's

fascination with the occult intrigued me. However there was no negative element to it and you must

understand that back then although surely people thought Page must party a bit,etc., he really was

looked upon as a highly disciplined person. I mean all the albums released, arguably how many

"filler" tracks, how many excessively long studio guitar solos ?? So I figured whatever he may be

doing(yoga, meditation,white magic rituals,etc.), it looks as if it's enhancing his life. But Heroin

and Bonzo's death rattled him to the core, and It appears that the occult thing didn't help much

in the end. So I went from seeing Jimmy as a super-God to seeing Jimmy who's still a super-God

but also very vulnerable human being. But it's true, people shouldn't comment on others relgious

matters, Page was actually mislabeled a satanist because he read Crowley.

I never took Jimmy's interest in A C or the occult to mean he was connected to anything satanic. 
The media for some reason though, took it and ran with it - same with the whole "abduction"
story when it comes to his initial hotel hook-up with Lori. That seemed to fit right in with Jimmy
being a Satan worshipper in some peoples eyes. 

I personally just saw see Jimmy as a one-of-a-kind. Unique. A beautifully gifted mysterious man
who gives fans great music - but also someone who has faced some demons with addiction.

Well because many of the Stones tours had different lineups and different roles for the 

various players, somehow people who saw one tour or whatever had Keith pigeonholed

simply as a rhythm guitarist . With Mick Taylor, absolutely Richards played 90% rhythm.

However when Ron Wood joined in 75' , things became a lot more murky. I saw them

in 89', and although Richards never gets up to Page's velocity, his solos were quite

distinctive( even used distortion a lot) and surprised many. Actually my main point

remains, if you can play blasted, fine. Jimmy is my absolute favorite but from 77' on

some of the live stuff is really almost painful to listen to. Not sure any other famous 

guitarist fell so hard. You have to remember, Jimmy really became a junkie, like

Richards, but Jimmy wasn't only addicted, his whole life went into the trash bin.

I know what you mean man, he's playing got sloppy, you could really tell he was dealing with his addiction and probably drinking too much on top of the heroin, but to be fair what led zeppelin did on stage every night (what he did on stage every show) was leaps and bounds more intricate, creative, and technical than anything Keith Richards would be playing for the Rolling Stones. You know with all of the improvisations and long jams leading to a lot of extended guitar solos, you reAlly need to stay on top of your playing to pull off what he did basically every show between 1969-1975.

I never took Jimmy's interest in A C or the occult to mean he was connected to anything satanic. 
The media for some reason though, took it and ran with it - same with the whole "abduction"
story when it comes to his initial hotel hook-up with Lori. That seemed to fit right in with Jimmy
being a Satan worshipper in some peoples eyes. 

I personally just saw see Jimmy as a one-of-a-kind. Unique. A beautifully gifted mysterious man
who gives fans great music - but also someone who has faced some demons with addiction.

We didn't have things like the internet back then (obviously) and to me when you read what Jimmy says very briefly in all of his interviews when asked about the subject he was really just trying to expand consciousness, open his mind and access his higher self, most likely to expand creativity, and probably be more in tune with his intuitive self. Back then I'm sure you had to read a lOT of what you would consider occult literature in order to find anything that you might truly identify with, in my mind what he was really trying to find out or identify with was almost what we term new age, or it's similar to that. I mean on the surface some of what Crowley states is basically about expanding consciousness to basically use your spiritual energy or your cosmic electromagnetic energy to empower yourself to reach your own goals and find who you are. There is nothing wrong with that at all, It's everything behind Crowley and in his background, along with some of his rituals and other things about him that is concerning.

To me the most interesting aspect of Pages persona is that he is a Jekyll/Hyde paradox

he is soft spoken, shy, and well mannered.  Yet onstage, he is a raging maniac creating walls of electric mayhem 

he is a control freak, obsessing over small details of every aspect of Zep's career.

Yet he felt the need to be totally Out of Control with sex drugs and extreme musical performance.

he is a walking contradiction who refuses to explain himself

To me the most interesting aspect of Pages persona is that he is a Jekyll/Hyde paradox

he is soft spoken, shy, and well mannered.  Yet onstage, he is a raging maniac creating walls of electric mayhem 

he is a control freak, obsessing over small details of every aspect of Zep's career.

Yet he felt the need to be totally Out of Control with sex drugs and extreme musical performance.

he is a walking contradiction who refuses to explain himself

The nosy parker in me wants to know what makes Page tick.  However, part of  me admires his refusal to explain himself.  His reticence is rare in this age of celebrities who share way too much with the public.  Jimmy Page isn't sharing his innermost thoughts and secrets with us.  He isn't going to bare his soul for our entertainment.  

Many interesting points here. Jimmy is still an enigma, BELIEVE me, back in Zep Page was 5 times

as enigmatic. No bull, sometimes in the 70's a year, sometimes two would pass between interviews.

Since the early 90's Page has probably given interviews on average probably every two months. Still

revealing little, of course. The control freak thing is just over his music, Iv'e never, ever heard anybody

including Zep members saying he EVER was a dictator. But I agree that Jimmy has quite a contradictory

personality, although I believe this got much worse when he quit heroin. Iv'e known a few people who

quit smack and they got much more irritable and testy, and some began drinking heavily, as Page did.

Supposedly if you are on opiates for years and years it can temporarily change your brain chemistry, and

getting back to normal varies. And Page and Richards are apples and oranges. Actually, Richards has

gotten up many times and jammed with older blues guys, with no preparation. With the Stones you

have two guitars, sometimes a piano player, horn section, you can't just go off on the spot. Of course

I would much rather see Page live , he has much more freedom playing wise. The whole occult thing to

me doesn't matter anymore, it ultimately didn't help Jimmy overcome his demons.

Archived