20 Days

redrum

An update. I got this message from Gina's sister.

Nino, so at 7 this evening Sabrina call me & said her mom is AWAKE and SMILING. They put me on speaker ph & I was telling Gina, that I love her & will be their on WEDNESDAY. They said she started to smile!!!! I so believe in MIRACLES!!!! & PRAYERS!!!!! I'm so fudgen HAPPY!!!!! I can't wait til Wednesday.... love you!!!# XOXO OXOX

Such great news and thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. :)

I will also update her recovery process.

Really great news, redrum!

:D 

Thank you and everyone who hoped and prayed.

Here's a pic I took of her around 1974 or so at South Lake Tahoe. Having fun building a snowman. :) That was my brother's '58 Chevy wagon.

GINA AND SNOWMAN AT TAHOE.jpg

Nino, so at 7 this evening Sabrina call me & said her mom is AWAKE and SMILING. They put me on speaker ph & I was telling Gina, that I love her & will be their on WEDNESDAY. They said she started to smile!!!! I so believe in MIRACLES!!!! & PRAYERS!!!!! I'm so fudgen HAPPY!!!!! I can't wait til Wednesday.... love you!!!# XOXO OXOX

Oh my God, that's AMAZING! So very happy for Gina and for all of you that you get to be together. What a wonderful gift for everyone. Thanks for the update, redrum. Good vibes and blessings to all :)

Oh my God, that's AMAZING! So very happy for Gina and for all of you that you get to be together. What a wonderful gift for everyone. Thanks for the update, redrum. Good vibes and blessings to all :)

Thank you Patrycja and slave. We're so happy that she's awake. :)

Right on, very happy to hear it redrum!

At this very moment, I literally have tears in My eyes upon reading that she is awake and smiling.  I like myself for being caring and forgiving to people that I do not know.  Please keep all of us updated on her progress. 

Thanks kingzoso. That means a lot and I will keep updating her status.

Here is a note from one of Gina's friends.

She is still battling an infection pneumonia, fever and fluxuating blood pressure. All can cause serious problems, even getting excited. Emotion raises her bp .

A few good notes you'll be happy to know. I visited her last Friday and she was awake as much as I could hope for an hour and a half. I washed her feetsies, hands and face with warm towels and she liked it. She grabbed my hand several times and we listened to some Tina Marie, Chaka, Isley Brothers and this girl tapped her hand on my hand several times acknowledging the music. She made some very sad faces when I showed her an owl and when I put perfume on her. So either she didn't like my fragrance (doubt it)   :) or she was just saddened by the simplicity of something we all take for granted (like putting on perfume).

All in all she was up for awhile and I probably tired her out with all my talking to her I did tell her you all are praying for her daily and i asked if she would pray for herself and she got the booboo face again. The GOOD NEWS is she understands and recognizes things and people, at least that day but she again has had traumatic brain injury no easy feat at all just being up and concentrating on one thing is a lot. I reminded her that she has many people that love her and want to help her. Everyone who even knows Gina would know she would only want a visit when she can participate and right now she's still got some very private issues going on. I have to give her the dignity and respect she so much would want and deserves. She is a lady of great pride and poise and she likes to always be at her best. I'm sure you all understand.

Thanks very much for the update, redrum, and for sharing your endearing personal interactions with Gina. It's such a huge positive to hear what she's been able to do and how she's responded already. It's a long road, and perhaps even if some personality changes occur temporarily on the way, how wonderful that she seems largely like herself and you all get to be there with her throughout the process. It's completely understandable about her wanting to maintain dignity; so often patients are poked and prodded and measured that, even if it's for their good, they feel less like human beings and more like chart results. It's good of you to be astute about her needs of both needing some company and some space. I very much hope that her brain trauma heals and she continues towards complete health. I'm very happy for you all. Blessings :)

Thanks very much for the update, redrum, and for sharing your endearing personal interactions with Gina. It's such a huge positive to hear what she's been able to do and how she's responded already. It's a long road, and perhaps even if some personality changes occur temporarily on the way, how wonderful that she seems largely like herself and you all get to be there with her throughout the process. It's completely understandable about her wanting to maintain dignity; so often patients are poked and prodded and measured that, even if it's for their good, they feel less like human beings and more like chart results. It's good of you to be astute about her needs of both needing some company and some space. I very much hope that her brain trauma heals and she continues towards complete health. I'm very happy for you all. Blessings :)

Thank you, Patrycja. I am currently unable to visit her at this time as I am out of state. So, we get updates from other people who visit her. Her sister is going to see her too and she lives about 100 miles away. I'm waiting to hear from her and any others who go see her. It's great to know that she is cognizant. I will keep updating her situation.

Hey Red,

Any word on when Gina's gonna be able to go home?

Here's the latest update from her friend Sherri.

UPDATE --I don't have very much info in terms of details right now but just know she came out of surgery fine and is in recovery...we'll find out more tomorrow.

Not sure when she can go home. It's a slow recovery for sure.

Latest update from Gina's friend Sherri.

Gina's surgery went well she's been resting for the past few days they got the fluid and she's has awakes daily with awareness of her surroundings. The doctor said mmmm "I can't say she is there or that she follows commands," I said I can and your probably pissing her off cause she hears you lol! And she looks at me....he says well she probably is thinking shut up! I said yes and more. He says "if she can squeeze your hand she should be able to lift one finger or four fingers and follow and exact command," I'm thinking are you serious she had a massive stroke so I said, i think the same as she needs rehabilitation to speak again she also needs to regain her facilities wth!

He says he doesn't mean to sound negative hmmm well then don't you don't know her so you can't really gauge her progress. So I say "I know she's listening she knows who iam and what I'm saying...watch!" So I say "Gina move your hand show me one finger" he's watching she does nothing I said "Girl if you don't move that hand he's gonna just think you ain't in there and you can't understand" and she lifts her hand and Dr says " well, you proved me wrong." I said just so you know that wasn't by chance, show him one more time Gina "lift your hand, move your hand" and she does it again annnnd I said "can you see me and hear me" she's looking right at me (no, she is not a 100% I don't want anyone to think she's up talking and smiling) but clear as day she nods yes......it may take time but she's gonna get much better i truly believe it. We are blessed to still have her. So she's resting from surgery now...

Anna I asked her if she knows you come visit and she nodded yes smile emoticon in time everyone can come, we just want Gina to be ready and when you see her you'll understand, respect and appreciate that she needed that time for herself first.

Thanks for the update, redrum. It's so important to stay on top of doctors and let them know about little cues that only someone who knows the patient well can discern. Often doctors and nurses are so busy and have seen so many patients that it becomes less personal and more like a check list, so being insistent and present is key. 

Hopefully Gina progresses to being able to do physio post-op because she clearly is in there and wants to communicate. It's a small but huge step that she was able to respond. Very happy for you all. Continued prayers and good thoughts xx :) 

Thanks for the update, redrum. It's so important to stay on top of doctors and let them know about little cues that only someone who knows the patient well can discern. Often doctors and nurses are so busy and have seen so many patients that it becomes less personal and more like a check list, so being insistent and present is key. 

Hopefully Gina progresses to being able to do physio post-op because she clearly is in there and wants to communicate. It's a small but huge step that she was able to respond. Very happy for you all. Continued prayers and good thoughts xx :) 

Thanks Patrycja, that means a lot. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Update--- So it's been a min, nothing bad just means extra busy taking care of me ...Gina is doing soooo much better I can't express what a miracle from Heaven it is completely unexplainable without God's hand in it i'm not sure what would have happened. She couldn't have done it without Him, tenacious or not but i'm sure her fire helped. I'm convinced she probably argued with Him....

She is back at Kindred after pnemonia and a lung operation. She is awake, alert, cognitive and 100 percent there. She cannot speak she is still on the trechiotomy and is steadily working towards removing it. She is now understanding what happen as I do tell her, however, she herself is not ready for visitors I asked her, I asked if she would like to be in a bit better state before people came to see her and she nodded yes. I can respect that and I know everyone understands. I told her you all are waiting and praying and continue to ask about her a little more time and you'll be able to visit.

We're all pulling hard for her. She has so many friends on Facebook it's almost hard to believe. :)

Archived