2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

Yay team!!!

Sat through 2 rain delays.  Then left and went to the bar at Sobo, where we watched the rest of the game with good wine and food..

Yay team!!!

4 hours ago, ebk said:

Yay team!!!

Sat through 2 rain delays.  Then left and went to the bar at Sobo, where we watched the rest of the game with good wine and food..

Yay team!!!

What is it like to sit through 2 rain delays for 1 game?  At least you got to see the Orioles win the game under a roof with good wine and food. 

I saw some of the Cardinals/Pirates game on ESPN on Sunday and the announcers said the temperature at game time was about 32 degrees.  Not ideal weather to kick off the 2016 MLB season (especially since the Cardinals and their Ace, Adam Wainwright, lost the game). 

By the way, I am being sincere in my question and this post, if that makes any difference.  Good Luck to the Baltimore Orioles this 2016 season. 

17 hours ago, kingzoso said:

What is it like to sit through 2 rain delays for 1 game?  At least you got to see the Orioles win the game under a roof with good wine and food. 

I saw some of the Cardinals/Pirates game on ESPN on Sunday and the announcers said the temperature at game time was about 32 degrees.  Not ideal weather to kick off the 2016 MLB season (especially since the Cardinals and their Ace, Adam Wainwright, lost the game). 

By the way, I am being sincere in my question and this post, if that makes any difference.  Good Luck to the Baltimore Orioles this 2016 season. 

We got to Sobo around 12:30 for lunch.  We left there and walked over to the ballpark at 2.  Pregame ceremonies started at 2:30.  They were lovely.  Rick Dempsey threw out the first pitch.  And then...they rolled out the tarp.  And it wasn't even raining.  Their reason was that they didn't want the game to start and have to stop it after a couple of innings because it would ruin the pitchers' outings.

Everyone in the place is on their phones checking radar.  Doesn't look like rain coming for a while...but we wait.  And all of a sudden, at 4:45, they start the game.  And sure enough, after 2 innings, it starts to rain.  Really really hard.  And of course, they have to stop playing...so the pitchers' days are ruined anyway.  If they'd started on time, they could have had 5 innings in by the time it rained.  

By that time, my friend and I had hit a wall. And it was getting cold.  So when it stopped raining (lord knows, we weren't going to leave and walk in the rain! :) ) , we got up and left.  And went back to Sobo, had snacks and wine, and a great time!  

That's what it's like to sit through 2 rain delays.  Fortunately, there was beer to be had while we waited :D  :beer: 

I will add that if I'd been there with Mr ebk, we would have stayed in the stadium for the whole game.  But since I was with my drinkin' buddy, we went out to drink!

On 4/1/2016 at 0:05 AM, kingzoso said:

The 2016 Opening Day is this Sunday.  For the second year in a row, the Saint Louis Cardinals are the first team to open the baseball season.  This year it is against the Pittsburgh Pirates as last year the season began with the Cardinals at the Chicago Cubs. 

I would like to wish "Good Luck" to every Major League Baseball Team and to the fans of their favorite MLB team. 

GO CARDINALS!!!

Do the Cards pay a visit to Arlington this season?

3 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Do the Cards pay a visit to Arlington this season?

Actually, no which is kind of weird considering that the Texas Rangers play 3 games against the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in June.  However, the Cardinals do not make a stand against the Rangers in Arlington this season.  (Which totally sucks because I would love to see the Cardinals play the Rangers this year).

On a side note:  the Cardinals do travel to Houston to play the Astros in mid August for a 2 game series.  I just might have to drive to Houston for one or both of these games as I grew up in the 1970's an Astros fan (and still am). 

3 hours ago, ebk said:

We got to Sobo around 12:30 for lunch.  We left there and walked over to the ballpark at 2.  Pregame ceremonies started at 2:30.  They were lovely.  Rick Dempsey threw out the first pitch.  And then...they rolled out the tarp.  And it wasn't even raining.  Their reason was that they didn't want the game to start and have to stop it after a couple of innings because it would ruin the pitchers' outings.

Everyone in the place is on their phones checking radar.  Doesn't look like rain coming for a while...but we wait.  And all of a sudden, at 4:45, they start the game.  And sure enough, after 2 innings, it starts to rain.  Really really hard.  And of course, they have to stop playing...so the pitchers' days are ruined anyway.  If they'd started on time, they could have had 5 innings in by the time it rained.  

By that time, my friend and I had hit a wall. And it was getting cold.  So when it stopped raining (lord knows, we weren't going to leave and walk in the rain! :) ) , we got up and left.  And went back to Sobo, had snacks and wine, and a great time!  

That's what it's like to sit through 2 rain delays.  Fortunately, there was beer to be had while we waited :D  :beer: 

I will add that if I'd been there with Mr ebk, we would have stayed in the stadium for the whole game.  But since I was with my drinkin' buddy, we went out to drink!

That is cool.  It sounds like you had a good time despite the rain. 

"Upon us all, a little rain must fall" (or a lot). 

I am interested to see how Gallardo pitches with a good lineup.  The best he has ever had in front of him.  And I am shocked EBK did not pick our O's to make it.   I am a firm believer.  We have 5 gold gloves and a ton of power.  No damn way are they keeping us out of this race.  We will make it

I must also say we have the best infield in baseball.      

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Monday: 9-0

Tuesday: 6-1

Are the Cubs really that good or are the Angels really that bad? Probably a little of both.

Oy vey.

I think the answer is yes... :) 

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Watching my Orioles vs the Twins.  Hoping they can hold on here and go 2-0.  I just saw Bundy in the bullpen.   Great to see.  No not Ted Bundy.  Anyone catch the score of that Pirate vs Cardinals game?  :lol:

The Cardinals got swept by the Pirates.  Not a good way to begin the season, but as most of us already know, the Cardinals are a resilient team that knows how to win games.  I'm not in the least bit worried as there are still 159 games remaining. 

9 hours ago, kingzoso said:

The Cardinals got swept by the Pirates.  Not a good way to begin the season, but as most of us already know, the Cardinals are a resilient team that knows how to win games.  I'm not in the least bit worried as there are still 159 games remaining. 

I just knew this would get you going.   You are very predictable.  I agree, to a degree.  Its not football where 0-3 is a nightmare.  But the Cubs are not going to go away.  Maybe the Pirates are better than I had thought?  Its very hard to sweep a team in the major leagues.  We will try to do it to the Twins tonight.  A team that I believe the experts are correct in picking to win the Central.  I picked your Cards to get a Wild Card.  I think the Cubs are very well managed and focused.  Its been a long time for them.  Far longer than the Orioles.  The Dodgers look like a team to look out for also.  I say they win the West easily.  The AL West is a true mystery to me.  I think Houston snuck up on teams and on nights that Keichel is not pitching they may have it rough.  What to make of the Yankees and Red Sox?  I don't really know.  But I do know that Baltimore has a damn good lineup and a bullpen.  If the starters do them any justice they will be in the fight.  To me the most overrated team is Toronto.  Should be an interesting year.I am sure we will talk again.:lol:

This season is the 50th Anniversary of the opening of the Big A...Angel Stadium...and tonight is Albert Pujols-Mike Trout bobblehead night, so I am going to my first Angels game of the season. Zepscoda's Texas Rangers are in town.

Today is also National Beer Day...so beer will be imbibed! ?

This is also the 30th anniversary of one of my most painful Angels memories...the 1986 season that ended with me cursing Red Sox David Henderson's name forever. :mad:

^^^Nice win. Yankees could surprise the experts this year.

I love going to baseball games on my day off as it allows me to get to the ballpark early enough to catch batting practice and stroll around the park. As oppose to rushing to the game after work.

The Angels only World Series Championship Trophy.

20160407_170430.thumb.jpg.f539028887e94b

Angels BP.

20160407_172533.thumb.jpg.a09e34a365cb92

Texas Rangers BP.

20160407_173503.thumb.jpg.52d949a6f48329

The Big A and Saddleback Mountain. When you grow up in Orange County, there are two monuments that you learn about early on to help keep yourself oriented location-wise. Angel Stadium and Saddleback Mountain.

20160407_173816.thumb.jpg.0b61910b682210

Angels win! Texas walks Trout to get to Pujols and Pujols makes them pay in the bottom of the 9th.

Very courteous of the rain to stop before game time and wait until game is over before starting up again.

Meanwhile, all the teams in the National League Central are winning as my beloved Cardinals are not and in last place. 

0-3. 

Is it time to count out the Saint Louis Cardinals after losing their first 3 games of the 2016 season?  Some will say Yes and hope that the Cardinals are already a team of the past (although a GREAT TEAM of the PAST), I will say that to count out the Saint Louis Cardinals is a very major mistake. 

Enough of my rhetoric, the true fact is that the Cardinals have been and are a team that is always considered a to be a team to make the Post-Season and even make it to and win the World Series. 

Five straight years of making the Playoffs is not an anomaly.  It is because the St. Louis Cardinals are, and always will be, an elite team for decades to come. 

For example, the Kansas City Royals won their first World Series last year after 35 years. 

The Orioles, Dodgers, etc.. have not won a World Series in decades. 

The Cardinals won their last World Series in 2011.  Just 5 years ago. 

Need I say more?  To prove MY point that the Cardinals are an elite team to never disparage? 

3 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Meanwhile, all the teams in the National League Central are winning as my beloved Cardinals are not and in last place. 

0-3. 

Is it time to count out the Saint Louis Cardinals after losing their first 3 games of the 2016 season?  Some will say Yes and hope that the Cardinals are already a team of the past (although a GREAT TEAM of the PAST), I will say that to count out the Saint Louis Cardinals is a very major mistake. 

Enough of my rhetoric, the true fact is that the Cardinals have been and are a team that is always considered a to be a team to make the Post-Season and even make it to and win the World Series. 

Five straight years of making the Playoffs is not an anomaly.  It is because the St. Louis Cardinals are, and always will be, an elite team for decades to come. 

For example, the Kansas City Royals won their first World Series last year after 35 years. 

The Orioles, Dodgers, etc.. have not won a World Series in decades. 

The Cardinals won their last World Series in 2011.  Just 5 years ago. 

Need I say more?  To prove MY point that the Cardinals are an elite team to never disparage? 

Here comes Dylan Bundy!!!  Finally.   Orioles up 3-2 and I am hoping they hang on for the sweep

I highly doubt any team is being counted out because of an 0-3 start and that included the Minnesota Twins who will rebound.  Its baseball, not football.  Its a loooooooog season.  I am delighted that my Orioles are 3-0 and very optimistic.   Not so much because of the record but because of the team they have on paper.  They are loaded.  The starting pitching is the big question and only question.  The Cubs have already proven that they are for real.  They were down early last night 3-0 and put a 14-6 ass whipping on a good Diamondbacks team.  Watch out I tell you.  And the Pirates may be far tougher than I expected and the Reds, though it was only the Sillies, are 3-0 so y our division is looking up this year.  You will have a far tougher time winning it. And I say the Cubs will win it.  You may want to start thinking Wild Card.   As for my O's, try and find me a better infield in baseball than Machado, Hardy, Schoop and Davis.   Just try.

Archived