Copenhagen 24.07.79 Oh yes!!

Crimson Avenger

Those Youtube clips are super super super jacked up bad, is that the Melancholy Danish Pageboys version ?    I've always read the Melancholy Danish Pageboys version is bad quality.  

There is billion times better quality out there then those Youtube clips.

If someone has the mad quality files, can you please give them to hunter for his blog??? Mine sounds like the youtube clips. Not too bad, but if there is markedly better, I'd love to hear it.

Did they build a whole new machine ?   I used to work on that particular Dell used and seemed like the PCB board between the power button and motherboard went bad.  Total douche move and it's mostly IBM that uses that PCB board as a double dump method, not sure why Dell needs to have that stupid board when normal computers normally have the power button connected directly to motherboard

That tiny little PCB board is like a dinky $5 part  - It's a bitch and 3 quarters to replace it and you have to literally gut out the whole system and be careful not to break off the plastic stem for the power button to make contact to the PCB.

60_35.JPG

Edited by TheGreatOne

Conneyfogle has the first 9 songs uploaded, best I've heard on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22E68779B35677F1

^Full playlist. 

Cool, subscribed to him about 2 months ago. Cannot believe the quality and range he has. A few nights I have had planned specific listening (limited "me" time away from kids to get 'in the zone' and put the headphones on and chill)  sessions with certain bootlegs in mind, and I get distracted by a Conneyfogle video, and by the time I listen to his awesome uploads and bounce around Youtube, time has run out! LOL. I still have quite a few boots now waiting for a proper listen.

• 1 month later...

I find it interesting that I don't think any of the band members themselves ever referred to the Denmark gigs as

anything special, yet Page sometimes called the Knebworth shows "magical". Page was touched by the fans' response

at Knebworth, but for me those shows were rather uneven. Still an amazing mystery how Page played so amazingly

on 7/24.

2 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

I find it interesting that I don't think any of the band members themselves ever referred to the Denmark gigs as

anything special, yet Page sometimes called the Knebworth shows "magical". Page was touched by the fans' response

at Knebworth, but for me those shows were rather uneven. Still an amazing mystery how Page played so amazingly

on 7/24.

The band probably disregarded -or forgot- about the Copenhagen gigs because they considered them to be live rehearsals, and not necessarily the 'intimate club gigs' us fans consider them to be.

• 1 year later...

Just listened to Achilles from this show.

HOLY FUCK BALLS!!! I never realised how near perfect this version was. Page is outstanding. They all are tbh.

LA '77 was my favourite along with Knebworth, but this is right up there.

Edited by johnlennon696

43 minutes ago, johnlennon696 said:

Just listened to Achilles from this show.

HOLY FUCK BALLS!!! I never realised how near perfect this version was. Page is outstanding. They all are tbh.

LA '77 was my favourite along with Knebworth, but this is right up there.

It's a special gig. Definitely belongs in every Led Zeppelin fans collection as one of the Baker's Dozen of must-have shows.

It's also part of the weird synchronicity Led Zeppelin had with dates, ie. July 7 being the date of both the last Yardbirds and last Led Zeppelin concerts.

July 24, '77 was Led Zeppelin's last American gig. Then two years later, July 24, '79 was Led Zeppelin's last perfect concert.

I agree that the 24th is a fantastic show, and clearly one of the very best of any post'73 Zeppelin show, period.

Like @Strider, I first was exposed to this show via the Japanese "Copenhagen Warm-ups 2nd Night" 3-LP bootleg, which I purchased sometime between '81 and '83. Only Zep vinyl boot I ever owned. I remember the cover said it was from '77, and I remember the track listing was all opposites or puns on the real titles. So "Black Dog" was "White Cat" and the Noise Solo was "So Low."

This is indeed a very good-sounding audience source, but even after I was able to get ahold of the better-sounding versions, I've always felt the sound quality was overrated. I would agree that the best Blueberry Hill source is better, as are the Millard recordings and a few others.

Even with that it's a very nice listen. The only 2 issues are (1) the terrible clackety-clack sound of the upper frequencies of Jones' Alembic bass, which is somehow even worse-sounding than it is on the '77 soundboards; and (2) the occasional loud whistling and hooting by whomever was near the taper.

But what a performance - they're all just on, and in sync. Page is great, but what I really love is Plant - his howls just echo throughout the relatively small venue. Knebworth does not measure up to it, although the 4th is a very good performance, and the 6 or 7 songs on the 2003 LZ DVD, as a kind of "best of" that show, are great and sound amazing - a wonderful listen as a mini-concert.

Edited by tmtomh

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2016 at 2:15 AM, Nutrocker said:

The band probably disregarded -or forgot- about the Copenhagen gigs because they considered them to be live rehearsals, and not necessarily the 'intimate club gigs' us fans consider them to be.

Possibly. I wonder if the audience made for a less memorable gig. The audience / band vibe seems a little off to me. Also, I'm sure there were less nerves around playing in front of a smaller foreign audience than making a UK comeback in front of the proverbial "ocean" at Knebworth, so they were tighter and more focused. It's pretty incredible considering they hadn't played a gig in 2 years. I would die happy if they released a full concert made up of the best songs from these shows. 

Edited by porgie66

On 12/13/2015 at 11:57 AM, Strider said:

I just told you...the Geiko-Sukui vinyl release "copenhagen warm-ups - the second night". More bottom end than any cd release.

Absolutely , Strider ... the vinyl has depth, space, clarity , excellent high low free balance. One of the best boots I ever bought , back in 1981 like you. I nearly wore the LPs out. I've heard TDOLZ, Empress Valley, a master>dat transfer, and the vinyl still beats them all to my ears. 

I suspect there's a good chance that none of the band, outwith Page who is know to collect boots, have heard this performance in the subsequent years following the gig.

But I still believe the chances of a soundboard are high, given that it was a Kneb warm-up and they would have wanted to hear how things sounded.

2 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

hey all, what are the best songs from the 24th? Any that are among best ever? (sorry - no doubt covered already)

It's more that it's Page's most fluent performance - especially in the solos - since 1975 and he maintains that consistency throughout the show.

Plant is great too, the band are tight, and the sound is the best Zep audience recording I've heard.

Just now, Boleskinner said:

It's more that it's Page's most fluent performance - especially in the solos - since 1975 and he maintains that consistency throughout the show.

Plant is great too, the band are tight, and the sound is the best Zep audience recording I've heard.

Cheers, grabbing flacs from the vinyl now. Will listen on the plane tomorrow. Can't wait!