Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Crimson Avenger

Copenhagen 24.07.79 Oh yes!!

Bonzo's fills are so fast and clean it's remarkable.  ALS might be my favorite version.

Never understood the reviews Luis Rey gave these 2 shows. 

11 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I thought horse was the problem, not the solution. Maybe something a little more "up" That night?

Horse is the solution when you're hooked on it. Why do you think Jimmy played better in Copenhagen and L.A. in those days than elsewhere? It's because he was getting good quality goods. When you are getting bad shit or nothing at all, that's when your body gets sick and you suffer withdrawals and that is when Jimmy's playing suffered.

Obviously it is better not to become a heroin addict, but once you are, it's the only way your body can survive. So the nights your body gets the craving it needs, those are the nights it will be able to function.

Good cities with good heroin equals a good concert. Those cities without will get a more erratic performance. It happened with Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Johnny Thunders, Dave Navarro, and countless other horseheads.

On 12/14/2015 at 4:31 PM, Sathington Willoughby said:

Conneyfogle has the first 9 songs uploaded, best I've heard on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22E68779B35677F1

^Full playlist. 

Thanks for posting these. Does anyone know which version/release of this show Conneyfogle used for these videos? I recently downloaded a vinyl transfer of the Geiko-Sukui LP and these videos have more bottom end (which is a godsend when you're talking about a recording like this).

Don't know what version the YouTube ones are, but IMHO the best-sounding version of the 7/24 Copenhagen show is a fan remaster done in 2016 or 2017. If it's circulating, it likely will be called the Pseudonym remaster. This remaster is not extreme, but rather tastefully done and remedies (or at least improves) all the original sources' shortcomings remarkably well. It brings a little more presence to counter the super-echoey hall ambience (apparently the 24th was taped from the balcony while the 23rd was taped closer, from the floor). It provides a bit more low-end oomph and overall frequency balance. And it somewhat tames the clackety-clack of Jones' alembic bass. Highly recommended.

Edited by tmtomh

16 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Don't know what version the YouTube ones are, but IMHO the best-sounding version of the 7/24 Copenhagen show is a fan remaster done in 2016 or 2017. If it's circulating, it likely will be called the Pseudonym remaster. This remaster is not extreme, but rather tastefully done and remedies (or at least improves) all the original sources' shortcomings remarkably well. It brings a little more presence to counter the super-echoey hall ambience (apparently the 24th was taped from the balcony while the 23rd was taped closer, from the floor). It provides a bit more low-end oomph and overall frequency balance. And it somewhat tames the clackety-clack of Jones' alembic bass. Highly recommended.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

On 12/11/2015 at 12:38 AM, Nutrocker said:

Give me the July 24 '79 Copenhagen show over either of the Knebworth performances any day of the week, and twice on Sundays!

LFZ !!!!

A future release, sometime in the next 10 years!! Hope so.

Edited by The Rover

On 2/2/2016 at 2:15 AM, Nutrocker said:

The band probably disregarded -or forgot- about the Copenhagen gigs because they considered them to be live rehearsals, and not necessarily the 'intimate club gigs' us fans consider them to be.

I attended a live dress rehearsal once.... in Dallas, on April 1st, 1977.

Edited by The Rover

42 minutes ago, The Rover said:

Incredible! Can you share your memories of that experience? Maybe in a new thread? 

Edited by porgie66

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

Yes, give us the scoop, the skinny, the 411 !!! From what I have heard this was actually a pretty damn fine show, then again, my sources were likely stoned out of their gourd at the time.

Anyway, for a "live rehearsal", 24-7-79 was one of their top 10 shows and the best show post-77'.

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

Were there cameras there?

I've posted previously on this forum that a source, close to SHOWCO, told me he viewed 20-minutes of high quality rehearsal footage from 1977.

6 hours ago, tmtomh said:

+1 Sue's remaster is tops.

Edited by johnlennon696

1 hour ago, johnlennon696 said:

+1 Sue's remaster is tops.

Agreed. It’s my go to for this show

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Incredible! Can you share your memories of that experience? Maybe in a new thread? 

5 hours ago, IpMan said:

Yes, give us the scoop, the skinny, the 411 !!! From what I have heard this was actually a pretty damn fine show, then again, my sources were likely stoned out of their gourd at the time.

Anyway, for a "live rehearsal", 24-7-79 was one of their top 10 shows and the best show post-77'.

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Were there cameras there?

I've posted previously on this forum that a source, close to SHOWCO, told me he viewed 20-minutes of high quality rehearsal footage from 1977.

Come on guys... I said that tongue-in-cheek.

April 1st was the first date of their rescheduled NA Tour.

They were rusty, Page not having picked up a guitar for month.

So it was "like" a dress rehearsal. It was a very "average" performance --- for Led Zeppelin....

Plant even jokingly said at one point... "Welcome to our rehearsal!"

Cameras... No, at the April 1st gig, there no cameras... Just Neal Preston snapping photos, for the '77 Tour Book that would be printed a little later.

When the band all came out front for the acoustic set, and started Battle of Evermore, the volume for Jimmy's guitar wasn't loud enough. I yelled out from my 10th row seat "LOUDER"... and then once again, "LOUDER." I then saw Robert look to his right, and motion with his right hand, index finger pointed up, to raise Jimmy's volume. And Jimmy's guitar volume was raised.

I believe the band rehearsed in England before the expected start of the '77 tour, originally due to being on Feb. 27th in Ft. Worth.

I saw the rescheduled Ft. Worth and Houston shows, and they were no rehearsals. They were both excellent shows to be at!!

Edited by The Rover

10 hours ago, The Rover said:

Come on guys... I said that tongue-in-cheek.

April 1st was the first date of their rescheduled NA Tour.

They were rusty, Page not having picked up a guitar for month.

So it was "like" a dress rehearsal. It was a very "average" performance --- for Led Zeppelin....

Plant even jokingly said at one point... "Welcome to our rehearsal!"

Cameras... No, at the April 1st gig, there no cameras... Just Neal Preston snapping photos, for the '77 Tour Book that would be printed a little later.

When the band all came out front for the acoustic set, and started Battle of Evermore, the volume for Jimmy's guitar wasn't loud enough. I yelled out from my 10th row seat "LOUDER"... and then once again, "LOUDER." I then saw Robert look to his right, and motion with his right hand, index finger pointed up, to raise Jimmy's volume. And Jimmy's guitar volume was raised.

I believe the band rehearsed in England before the expected start of the '77 tour, originally due to being on Feb. 27th in Ft. Worth.

I saw the rescheduled Ft. Worth and Houston shows, and they were no rehearsals. They were both excellent shows to be at!!

Boy am I a sucker!  Ha....very cool story though!

Posted (edited)

Great gig. without a doubt; I'll still take the 1st Knebworth--sometimes it enhances the experience to actually see them onstage. That being said, I won't be too burnt up about people liking these 2 shows better....

:D

'

Edited by paul carruthers