World War II

apantherfrommd

Please, no more silly videos.

Al Schmid was a Marine on Guadalcanal when the Marines landed on August 7th, 1942, 8 months to the day after Pearl Harbor. He was suffering from terrible foot problems but refused to be evacuated. He was part of a machine gun crew when the Japs attacked their position at night. Schmid was blinded by a grenade but was credited with mowing down 200 Japs. Author James Jones described Guadalcanal as a tropical, stinking hellhole.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/schmid.htm

Al Schmid was a Marine on Guadalcanal when the Marines landed on August 7th, 1942, 8 months to the day after Pearl Harbor. He was suffering from terrible foot problems but refused to be evacuated. He was part of a machine gun crew when the Japs attacked their position at night. Schmid was blinded by a grenade but was credited with mowing down 200 Japs. Author James Jones described Guadalcanal as a tropical, stinking hellhole.

I'm sorry redrum.

I'm glad that we had technology back then to at least film some of this to get more of a feel of the hell they went through. You're right. True patriots that went through more than we can imagine! I don't know how many Vets from WWII are left. But all of them living or dead, we owe in many ways.

Andy my friend, how is it going. Great thread and hopefully if we keep it civil it won't be "Banned in the USA."

FDR, though a Freemason was also a devout Christian (Episcopalian) and was very vocal about his faith in general. Hitler was baptized a Catholic but essentially believed all religion, including and especially mysticism, was bullshit. Hitler wanted to convert the German people to either a form of Shintoism or Islam as he believed these were strong, masculine religions which had the best chance of controlling the population, however this was part of a long-term goal which obviously never happened. The Japanese did worship Hirohito, however it was mostly symbolic and Japan's main religion was Shintoism. Stalin studied to become a priest in the Russian Orthodox Church and kept his belief until he died but suppressed it for the masses as he did not want any competition for power. So, Hitler was the only true Atheist in the group. 

I have been watching a series called Finding Hitler which theorizes Hitler fled the bunker on April 22nd or 23rd and lived, however from there its anyones guess. I personally believe, from the evidence, Hitler did indeed escape and did not commit suicide as claimed, after all no remains of Hitler or Braun have ever been found and verified. I do not believe he lived very long though and did not escape Europe. I believe he fled to Spain via aircraft, landed safely, and was promptly arrested, executed, and cremated under Franco's orders out of fear of what the Allies would do to Spain should it be discovered they aided Hitler in any way.

It's going well, Bro. Long days, man! I hope you're doing well, and ready for the holidays.

Yeah, we can keep it civil.

druid4.jpg

Regarding your assessment on the faiths, or lack thereof in the leaders, what do you think of Churchill's? Was a druid priest or something, wasn't he?

I haven't much time to post tonight, so I'll cut it short. I always was under the impression that Hitler and Eva went to Argentina after the war. I had never heard about Spain. That's interesting.

I haven't seen that series you mentioned called Finding Hitler. My lady will be in Germany for 3 weeks, so I'll have plenty of time to check it out this weekend. I did watch an episode a week or so ago called The Man From High Castle (trailer above). It's a What If scenario. What if.. Japan and Germany had won WWII? Ridley Scott produced it. It's different.

Best wishes to you, IpMan. I'll hyu later.

:peace: 

My brother in-law Bill Hunt on the right (deceased) with a friend either in North Africa or Sicily with the 422nd Night Fighter Squadron. That's a P-61 Black Widow. Bill didn't fly but was a radio/radar man. He did receive the Bronze Star for pulling a pilot from a burning wreck. I have the camera and all his negatives from the war.

BILL-BOMBER.JPG

I was in an art class with Betty Federoff and her husband George was on the USS BETELGEUSE at Guadalcanal. Here's a pic of two Jap planes that were shot down and smoking in the water with his ship in the distance to the right. He said he was scared shitless all the time there.

USS BETELGEUSE.jpg

:lol:Your avatars.. WHO WHO WHOOO is that, Kiwi? I'm not familiar with that owl. :) 

It's owl Jolson from the 1936 theatrical short 'I Love To Singa', Andy! :) It's a classic! :D 

On a side note : FWIW, I apologize for deviating from the topic, with my silliness. I use humour as a coping mechanism. Deviating from a topic with humour, is much better than some people hijacking a thread with their distasteful racism, homophobia or character assassination, IMO. Anyway, I will no longer be participating in this thread. :peace: 

Hey red.  Yeah, that wacky video I posted was from the soundtrack of the 1983 film "To Be or Not to Be" starring Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft.  It was a remake of the controversial (at the time) 1942 film starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard that has since become a comedy classic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Be_or_Not_to_Be_(1942_film)

No disrespect intended to the veterans and survivors of that terrible conflict.  My Dad served in the Pacific theater during WW 2 and my stepfather escaped Germany during the 30's to come to the US but his entire family was killed by the Nazis.

It's owl Jolson from the 1936 theatrical short 'I Love To Singa', Andy! :) It's a classic! :D 

On a side note : FWIW, I apologize for deviating from the topic, with my silliness. I use humour as a coping mechanism. Deviating from a topic with humour, is much better than some people hijacking a thread with their distasteful racism, homophobia or character assassination, IMO. Anyway, I will no longer be participating in this thread. :peace: 

I'll second that!

I love the old cartoons with the great animation. One of my relatives was married to Al Jolson. :)

Ernie Pyle, the best war correspondent back then. He was killed right at the end of the war. His book 'Brave Men' is a classic.

ERNIE PYLE.jpg

Now there is a living example of massive testicles right there. To be in the thick of it, not shooting, not defending oneself but instead focusing completely on recording and analyzing the moment with little concern to anything else. Our war correspondents and indeed unsung heroes of the highest order.

Hey red.  Yeah, that wacky video I posted was from the soundtrack of the 1983 film "To Be or Not to Be" starring Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft.  It was a remake of the controversial (at the time) 1942 film starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard that has since become a comedy classic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Be_or_Not_to_Be_(1942_film)

No disrespect intended to the veterans and survivors of that terrible conflict.  My Dad served in the Pacific theater during WW 2 and my stepfather escaped Germany during the 30's to come to the US but his entire family was killed by the Nazis.

No worries. I like this old one too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzH1iaKVsBM

The thing that strikes me is that most of the men who fought in World War Ii have died.  The remaining surviving veterans are in their nineties now.  When the last World War II veteran dies, that conflict will pass out of living memory.  World War II will then be something we only read about or study in school; not something people we knew actually experienced.  This happens with all important historic events, but there is something poignant about it all the same.

Bill Mauldin the WW2 cartoonist. Funny stuff he did that was good for morale. He starred in the film 'The Red Badge Of Courage' with Audie Murphy.

BILL MAULDIN.jpg

S-2. I know that one. That's intelligence. ;) I've remember hearing about Bill.

I was in an art class with Betty Federoff and her husband George was on the USS BETELGEUSE at Guadalcanal. Here's a pic of two Jap planes that were shot down and smoking in the water with his ship in the distance to the right. He said he was scared shitless all the time there.

USS BETELGEUSE.jpg

Is this really two planes? Shot down in the same place?! That's amazing!

No worries. I like this old one too.

When der fuehrer says we is de master race

We heil  Phbbt!.gifheil  Phbbt!.gif right in der fueher's face. :lol: Loved it. Great toons in this thread.

The thing that strikes me is that most of the men who fought in World War Ii have died.  The remaining surviving veterans are in their nineties now.  When the last World War II veteran dies, that conflict will pass out of living memory.  World War II will then be something we only read about or study in school; not something people we knew actually experienced.  This happens with all important historic events, but there is something poignant about it all the same.

Agreed and well said. It will obviously pass out of living memory. Though fainter by the second, echoes always carry and remain. And this has been so well documented, that even as the echoes of World War II fade, we will always be able come together in appreciation of what those brave men and women stood for. In our appreciation, honor and respect for them, those old soldiers will never die. We have to make certain that the fruits of their labors shall never fade away.

I will say this and I stand firm in my beliefs:  President Harry S. Truman did the right thing when he ordered the atomic bombings of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  From what I have read, this forced the Japanese military and Emperor Hirohito into complete submission and a clause of "unconditional surrender". 

This historical event was said to have saved over a one million + American lives had an invasion of Japan be undertaken. 

Now there is a living example of massive testicles right there. To be in the thick of it, not shooting, not defending oneself but instead focusing completely on recording and analyzing the moment with little concern to anything else. Our war correspondents and indeed unsung heroes of the highest order.

I love his books. :)

S-2. I know that one. That's intelligence. ;) I've remember hearing about Bill.

Is this really two planes? Shot down in the same place?! That's amazing!

When der fuehrer says we is de master race

We heil  Phbbt!.gifheil  Phbbt!.gif right in der fueher's face. :lol: Loved it. Great toons in this thread.

Agreed and well said. It will obviously pass out of living memory. Though fainter by the second, echoes always carry and remain. And this has been so well documented, that even as the echoes of World War II fade, we will always be able come together in appreciation of what those brave men and women stood for. In our appreciation, honor and respect for them, those old soldiers will never die. We have to make certain that the fruits of their labors shall never fade away.

Mauldin was great and was a thorn in the side of a lot of officers. Patton did not like him. :)

Yep, looks like two planes. Them guys were good shots. :) James Jones said from Guadalcanal that they would watch the Jap planes trying to bomb the ships and root when they shot down a plane or groan when they hit a ship.

WW2 will be as well remembered as the Civil War, WW1, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. The Nazi's were never going to defeat the American fighting man. They just wanted to get it overwith and get the hell back home.

I will say this and I stand firm in my beliefs:  President Harry S. Truman did the right thing when he ordered the atomic bombings of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  From what I have read, this forced the Japanese military and Emperor Hirohito into complete submission and a clause of "unconditional surrender". 

This historical event was said to have saved over a one million + American lives had an invasion of Japan be undertaken. 

Agreed. With the fighting they experienced on Iwo Jima and Okinawa it would have been a nightmare to invade Japan.

But they did not surrender unconditionally, we just accepted the exact same terms of surrender they had been offering the US since June 1945. The dropping of the atomics changed nothing and the US never would have invaded Japan regardless since Japan had already offered terms of surrender (The only part which was conditional was they wanted to retain their Emperor). Now, a military coup (The Kyojo Incident) to overthrow the Emperor and fight the war to the last man standing actually took place but failed. The coup was discovered and stopped at the last moment but if this would have happened the US would have had no choice but to invade. So, the terms of surrender we accepted were the same terms they had been offering for some time, the bombs changed nothing.

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v16/v16n3p-4_Weber.html

Here's some photos my grandfather (or someone from his company) took in 1941. Quotations are what's written behind the pictures.

"Russians left some junk behind"

1_zpssbq4uwud.jpg

"Moving forward"

11_zps9hko94tm.jpg

"Here's that pig of ours, although now it has been already eaten"

9_zpslbqk9w6c.jpg

"The company leader washing laundry"

10_zpsrospnkje.jpg

"Kollaa" (famous battle place of Winter War)

2_zpstq0uxzox.jpg

I'll post some more later.

Here's some photos my grandfather (or someone from his company) took in 1941. Quotations are what's written behind the pictures.

"Russians left some junk behind"

1_zpssbq4uwud.jpg

"Moving forward"

11_zps9hko94tm.jpg

"Here's that pig of ours, although now it has been already eaten"

9_zpslbqk9w6c.jpg

"The company leader washing laundry"

10_zpsrospnkje.jpg

"Kollaa" (famous battle place of Winter War)

2_zpstq0uxzox.jpg

I'll post some more later.

You guys had the best sniper of all time during the Winter War with the Soviets, Simo Hayha killed at least 505 men, had half his face blown off, survived and lived to 96 and died peacefully in his sleep in 2002. Hayha also did not use a scope on his rifle due to the extreme cold fogging up the glass.

That is one bad ass motherfucker right there. 

You guys had the best sniper of all time during the Winter War with the Soviets, Simo Hayha killed at least 505 men, had half his face blown off, survived and lived to 96 and died peacefully in his sleep in 2002. Hayha also did not use a scope on his rifle due to the extreme cold fogging up the glass.

That is one bad ass motherfucker right there. 

Häyhä served in Kollaa, where the last photo was taken. He lived about 40 kilometres away from where I live.

Archived