Hardest Led Zeppelin To Date

apantherfrommd

dazed and confused at rah. the riff at 10:49 is the most menacing thing I have ever heard. you can tune down, play fast and write lyrics about impending doom but I don't think you can get any heavier than that.

there is a certain quality to the entire rah performance that I just cant put my finger on compared to their other performances. its so dark.

You're close Andy! ;) I'd definitely go with this, psychedelic proto-metal at it's finest, also some proto dark ambient for good measure. (bow solo)

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a WINNER. Of course, late entries will be happily accommodated. :thumbsup:

Seriously, does it get better? And that is in NO WAY disparaging the contender. Achilles and Come On - both extremely good. I welcome/challenge anyone offering better.

What a fucking band.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a WINNER. Of course, late entries will be happily accommodated. :thumbsup:

Seriously, does it get better? And that is in NO WAY disparaging the contender. Achilles and Come On - both extremely good. I welcome/challenge anyone offering better.

What a fucking band.

:thanku:Thank you, thank you very much. :D

Agree on Achilles too, no doubt an influence on NWOBHM and other metal subgenres like prog, power and speed. 

dazed and confused at rah. the riff at 10:49 is the most menacing thing I have ever heard. you can tune down, play fast and write lyrics about impending doom but I don't think you can get any heavier than that.

there is a certain quality to the entire rah performance that I just cant put my finger on compared to their other performances. its so dark.

Yes, Jimmy's variation on the forbidden devil's triton flattened fifth. There is the common misconception that the tri-tone was banned in Europe for a few centuries because it was believed it had the power to summon evil spirits, however this is bullshit. It can be argued that the true foundation for all metal is found in the tri-tone used by both George Harrison & Jimmy but put to even greater use (due to down tuning) by Tony Iommi and Black Sabbath. This is not only heavy, this is as heavy as it can get.

Agreed. 

Also, the bow solo from TSRTS is still one of the more evil sounding things I've ever heard. 

Agreed. 

Also, the bow solo from TSRTS is still one of the more evil sounding things I've ever heard. 

Can't remember the show, maybe it was HTWWW, but the bow section has Robert singing in a much lower register vs. his usual tenor and the effect is pure dread, evil sounding shit. I love it!!!

Can't remember the show, maybe it was HTWWW, but the bow section has Robert singing in a much lower register vs. his usual tenor and the effect is pure dread, evil sounding shit. I love it!!!

The April 4, 1971 Paris Theatre, London BBC concert also has Robert moaning in a low register during the bow solo. Might it be that one you are thinking of?

The April 4, 1971 Paris Theatre, London BBC concert also has Robert moaning in a low register during the bow solo. Might it be that one you are thinking of?

Could be, I will check it out. I really dig that interplay between Page & Plant during that section, and the lower register just makes it that much more atmospheric, downright stygian.

Surprised no one mentioned Achilles 5/22/77, both Bonzo and Page, Bonzo in particular is hammering

so ferociously thruout that the song overall ends up sounding like some ancient colossal Roman battle.

Page's solo is a bit out of tune, but his brilliant variations of stunted fast runs and notes sustaining like

highly pierced sirens add to the drama. A lot of this, is THRASH METAL !! Seek this version out, it's

much different than other versions.

Surprised no one mentioned Achilles 5/22/77, both Bonzo and Page, Bonzo in particular is hammering

so ferociously thruout that the song overall ends up sounding like some ancient colossal Roman battle.

Page's solo is a bit out of tune, but his brilliant variations of stunted fast runs and notes sustaining like

highly pierced sirens add to the drama. A lot of this, is THRASH METAL !! Seek this version out, it's

Is it on YouTube?

I searched once for the 5/22/77' Achilles a while ago to find a diff version(my version there is a little

clipping or distortion, but still very listenable) but no dice. The Frankfurt 80' is excellent but the 5/22

is much more ferocious and heavier.

I can't seem to find it but thought it was Fillmore West '69.   It's like the most violent and angry version of Dazed & Confused I've ever heard.  Robert puts real emphasis in like an angry snappy mood and the guitar solo with drums over 220 beats per second are off the musical charts.  

Oh yes, this is one HEAVY version of the tune and I really like the effect Jimmy is using on the guitar. I don't believe he ever used that effect on ALS before or sense...is that correct? If so, why not as it really sounds heavy & funky. Almost sounds like a phase + flanger + Wah combo with a hint of delay.

Right, Jimmy always used the phaser and the delay live, but 5/22 you can definetly hear the wah at times.

Pretty sure at the Copenhagen shows wah is added too. I also must add, from various posts and my own

view, there is quite a bit of early Zep which is actually heavier and sludgier than Sabbath. Of course

Sabbath was ultimately tagged with the heavy metal forefathers,etc., but live Zep had sections that

could give you a concussion. As a slight aside, Van Halen with Roth were absolutely pummeling live....

don't be fooled by the slight pop-metal diversions.

there is quite a bit of early Zep which is actually heavier and sludgier than Sabbath.

I dont know about that. I dont hear much, if any sludge from led zeppelin of any era. led zeppelin could definitely get heavy and jimmy page played some pretty sleazy riffs but its a different ballpark compared to what tony iommi was doing.

Archived