BBC Four - 'Music Moguls' - documentary - w/ Peter Grant

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

The BBC has announced a new three-part series exploring the untold history of the pop and rock worlds, told by the ‘Music Moguls’ - producers, managers and PR giants. Commissioned by BBC Four and made by BBC Productions.

Music Moguls (Part One / Money Makers) also features the toughest, and possibly biggest in size, manager Peter Grant, who managed Led Zeppelin.  He propelled them into the biggest band in the world – and bullied promoters into accepting a mere 10 per cent of box office returns, rather than 30 per cent, which is still the industry standard today.

Noddy Holder remarks: “He had a terrible reputation, Peter Grant, but I think he had to have it. It’s a hard game, especially on the road in America.”

Three-part series ‘music moguls’ on the untold history of the music industry, told by the managers, producers and PR giants. Narrated by Simon Napier-Bell, Nile Rodgers (pictured) and Alan Edwards

Music Moguls, due to transmit in January 2016, will take viewers on an exclusive tour of the music industry in the company of a small group of hugely influential insiders and their artists. Between them they have shaped the face and sound of popular music loved by audiences around the world.

The series is a different take on the traditionally told tales of debauchery, excess, and exaggeration recounted by the artists, the bands and their hangers-on. This is the secret, and untold, history of the pop and rock world from the mouths of the men and women who pull the strings from behind the scenes. It is the story behind some of the biggest records of the last 60 years, and a chance for the unsung heroes of the industry to take centre stage and reveal their secrets.

With first-hand testimony and exclusive ‘show and tell’, from both the Moguls and their artists, the series will reveal how these powerful Svengalis emerged, multiplied, and evolved. The series looks at the tricks of the trade and how the music industry has today become more powerful than ever.

Pauline Law, BBC Executive Producer, Music Moguls, says: “This has been a fascinating series to make, meeting the movers and shakers behind the scenes who have really shaped the history of rock and pop.”

Episode one of Music Moguls meets the managers behind some of the most important moments in pop history, including Simon Napier-Bell who launched the careers of artists throughout the decades, from The Yardbirds to Marc Bolan, to Wham!. The episode tells stories about legendary managers such as Elvis’s Colonel Tom Parker, The Beatles’ Brian Epstein, Led Zeppelin’s Peter Grant, The Sex Pistols’ Malcolm McLaren, and Don Arden who managed Small Faces, Black Sabbath and ELO.

Filming takes viewers to the jungles of Columbia where Andrew Loog Oldham speaks about how he helped make the Rolling Stones one of the most successful bands of all time. Jon Landau explains how he saw the future of Rock ‘n’ Roll when he discovered Bruce Springsteen, and Scooter Braun talks about how he happened to click on a YouTube video of a young Justin Bieber...

Simon Napier-Bell says: “Artists are so driven and motivated to that one point that they very, very frequently miss seeing all the opportunities which would help them get there. And managers are really opportunists, hired to harness themselves to the artist's motivation and one way or another, show them the way.”

With extremely rare access and exclusive interviews, episode two explores how producers create the signature sounds that have defined key periods in pop history, and looks at how advances in the technology behind production have shifted the musical landscape.

The episode includes a first time examination into how David Bowie’s seminal song Heroes was recorded, as producer Tony Visconti for the first time takes the audience through the isolated tracks of the recording. Nile Rodgers gives an insight into his seismic contributions to pop, plus Trevor Horn speaks about why he has been credited with inventing the 80s. Paul Epworth explains how he created some of the biggest selling hits of our time, such as Adele’s Rolling in the Deep, and Mark Ronson talks about his own meteoric rise to fame.

Nile Rodgers says: “I thrive on that moment of interpreting the artist’s vision, coming up with a concept, like Diana Ross, I’m Coming Out. I like writing the beginning of something. It’s cool. The mystery of just turning an idea into an actual composition, a real performance, and getting those single special moments out of each person who is involved in the production. It’s the most thrilling adventure I could ever imagine. It’s like going out into space or something.”

Episode three delves into the publicity plots that have helped shape some of the world’s greatest artists. Narrated by Alan Edwards, the programme includes contributions and interviews with the leading PR himself. We hear how he and other major PRs, such as Barbara Charone and Andy Saunders, cultivate new bands, manage crises and attempt to maintain the reputation of their longstanding clients. They feature alongside artists Debbie Harry, Ozzy Osbourne, the Sex Pistols, Uriah Heep, Brett Anderson and Hugh Cornwell.

Alan Edwards says: “We all know what a significant role PR plays in British public life nowadays, but not many people realise that its roots go back five decades ago to the start of the music business as we know it now. In this film I lift the lid on the unseen, uncredited, often unappreciated and unsung PRs that helped create an industry that now employs something like 60,000 people.”

With unique revelations, unseen footage and unrivalled access, the programme tells the story of the rise of PR within the music industry, through the eyes of the people who lived it. The truth behind the headlines, and the stories you thought you knew, but really didn’t, are revealed. Plus, a look at how some of the most memorable rock and pop moments have been orchestrated by PR, and how the reputations of our ‘icons’ are created and destroyed by them.

Music Moguls is produced by BBC Productions for BBC Four, commissioned by Jan Younghusband, Head of Commissioning. Executive Producer is Pauline Law. Series Producer is Francis Whately. Producers are Jack Cocker, Peter Stanton and Francis Whately.

Music Moguls airs on BBC4 on Friday, January 15, 10pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p039w64c

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first episode tonight and thought Mr Grant came over pretty well. The Eastbourne Pier Band contest story was hilarious. Some of the antics regarding other managers made my jaw drop and thought the future of music management felt rather depressing apart from Adele's manager who seems to care about music.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2016 at 8:39 AM, anniemouse said:

I watched the first episode tonight and thought Mr Grant came over pretty well. The Eastbourne Pier Band contest story was hilarious.

Yeah, that segment really made me laugh.

Archived