R.I.P David Bowie

Reggie29

I was stunned to hear the news. He's been around for over 3/4 of my life and he could divide opinion at times but there is no doubting in my mind that he has been one of the most influential and challenging artists of the last 60+ years. From first buying Hunky Dory in 1971, first seeing him in 72 as Ziggy Stardust and then wondering what would come next with each album.

He is a sad loss to the world of music and when you listen tho Blackstar you know he would have had more to surprise us with had he lived longer. There has been no one like him and never will be anyone like him.

A sad day.

A true musical artist in an industry where there are few. The term artist is wrongly applied to all who perform. Most of them are exactly that, performers. Some performers are actually quite brilliant. The artists are those who experiment and re-invent themselves, not concerned with the possibility of failure.

49 minutes ago, reswati said:

To add some sound to it.............

Recorded the night before at the Friday night show for FM Radio broadcast. The first show of October 20 sold out so fast they added a second show on the 21st, much to my salvation. Being in the middle of the school year, the Saturday concert was an easier sell to my parents, as well.

This song always brought me to tears...even before the sad news of Bowie's passing. Written for T. Rex, it's an underplayed gem from the Ziggy Stardust album.

People stared at the makeup on his face...and he was all right, the song went on forever.

17 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Fuck off, Steve.  I mean, Jesus Christ, man, is it absolutely necessary for you to be a prick all the time? I think somebody of Bowie's stature deserves a thread of his own, wouldn't you say? I mean if it was Jimmy Page that croaked would you want that news just tucked away in the generic RIP discussion?

Bowie...holy shit. He was a biggie, certainly didn't see that one coming. I'm not a fan of all of his stuff, got a few albums. Maybe a bit of Station To Station is in order right about now...

Amen!

This dude's a roach

19 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Even though I was not a very big fan of David Bowie, I do think that he does deserves a final resting thread of His own.  I will say that I do like "China Girl" and "Let's Dance", two of David's biggest hits from the 1980's. 

It really makes me wonder who will be next and that is a sad and scary thought in and of itself. 

R.I.P.  David...

I know what you mean Chris.  After the initial shock and tears for Bowie, my mind started thinking that if I feel this strongly about him what am I gonna do when it's.........sorry, I can't even bear to name names...you know who some of the rock Gods I hold highest are.  Sure wish I were back in Washington right now where I have a nice stash of cannibis at home, LOL.  As fate would have it, I'm presently across country at my college town, right at the heart of where I spent endless hours enjoying Bowie as well as all the great 70s bands.  

Great choices on the vids Strider and especially the last two of 3 as two of my favorite Bowie songs with Panic and TVC15 as two of his best.  Unfortunately, with someone of his stature it always shoots up the sales of their work as it takes their death to do this!  I just think people are just reminiscing about them and making them think how important a particular artist was to them!  I too am thinking about this and want to get some of his earlier releases!

So cool Strider that you got to see the former Mr. Jones in concert back in The Thin White Duke, Ziggy Stardust and Gilded Swashbuckler era for Bowie!  You'll always remember this and cherish this with others for many years!!!

Another one of my favorite songs of his and #2 next to "Heroes"!

Thanks for the Bowie show from Santa Monica 72.  Good show, but the crowd is much more tamer than Zep was back in that year for LA at The Forum.  Still a good show.  Enjoyed Space Oddity especially being different than the studio version as just Bowie and a background singer or two, but so well done!  May have to get me some live Bowie!

Gone, a huge talent, a brilliant musician. A true blessing is he went out on top, his new album, Blackstar, released just two days ago is a masterpiece. Blackstar is Bowies best album in years, I highly recommend it.

RIP David, this is a sad day indeed.

21 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I was not a big fan either but it is always a sad day when names of rock and roll that you grew up with dies. It's funny because as Strider points out he has just released another album and the weekends papers ( The Guardian and The Sunday Times) over here, have both got articles relating to books about DB. The ST article does say he spends his time in the US with Iman and his family recovering from cancer. 

I re- read the article last evening. I actually read it wrong. What it actually said was he lived a quiet life in the US after giving up touring in 2004 after suffering a heart attack. 

Archived