The Power of The Beards

William Austin

My favorite era for the band has always been 1970-1971, but it occurred to me recently that it was their beards that really gave them godlike power (not only in looks, but the way they played).

I love the Summer 1970 shows and the raw power they had. Heck, Communication Breakdown from 9/4/70 alone tops anything else they had done that year. Although we have few shows from the first half of 1971, the ones we do have... smokin'! I love the band's attire during this time period too, particularly Robert's red and black shirt that he wore in Belfast, Copenhagen, Liverpool, and Milan. I love the structure of the setlist during this time as well, with Since I've Been Loving You moved up to the third song and Dazed still early in the show.

After Robert shaved, his vocal power was reduced. He started singing Black Dog somewhat lazily, moaning the lyrics throughout the whole song, and he didn't rough up his voice nearly as much as he did before.

John Paul had shaved by the time of the Winter tour at which point the setlist structure changed again to one I don't like as much. SIBLY after Black Dog and Dazed after the acoustic set. This made the acoustic set appear too early in the show, IMO.

Not much changed when Jimmy shaved, but it should be noted that I don't like the 1972 U.S. tour as much as most people do. How The West Was Won is a fine album, but these recordings were probably the best of the whole tour. Every other recording I've heard in this tour wasn't as good; not bad by any stretch, just nothing special.

There was never a time period for the band that I don't like...

5697ff887170f_LZBeards.jpg.a2530cf2b20dc

...but they were untouchable then.

I just thought they looked like a bunch of lazy bastards that couldn't be arsed shaving. Might have been an age thing "Ooh look at the facial hair I can grow now" " My beard's grown more than yours"...........

JPJ really looked good with the stashe as did Page. Never saw Bonham without at least a mustache so I have no idea what he looked like clean shaven. I don't like Plant with facial hair...kinda makes him look like a dick IMO.

so weird ^ :o haha. I have a friend who looks a lot like him in the bottom picture. he is also quite the drummer and obsessed with bonzo. a coincidence i am sure :D.

I dont mind the beards much, though I think both page and plant look best without facial hair. I like robert plants mustache goatee combo. it makes him look like a king.original.jpg

6 hours ago, JTM said:

I just thought they looked like a bunch of lazy bastards that couldn't be arsed shaving. Might have been an age thing "Ooh look at the facial hair I can grow now" " My beard's grown more than yours"...........

I dont think it was ever much of a pissing contest because they always had pretty gnarly sideburns before they even knew each other so they obviously could grow full beards pretty young.

6 hours ago, sk8rat said:

so weird ^ :o haha. I have a friend who looks a lot like him in the bottom picture. he is also quite the drummer and obsessed with bonzo. a coincidence i am sure :D.

I dont mind the beards much, though I think both page and plant look best without facial hair. I like robert plants mustache goatee combo. it makes him look like a king.original.jpg

I dont think it was ever much of a pissing contest because they always had pretty gnarly sideburns before they even knew each other so they obviously could grow full beards pretty young.

I was half joking, half sarcastic. The OP saying that Planty's voice reduced in power after he shaved off his beard sounded so ridiculous.

8 hours ago, sk8rat said:

Percy really suits that beard, he looks like a Conquistador, he's about ready to invade and conquer the natives with that look :D... Jimmy just looks like Jimmy with a beard, could be worse though, it could be his later sunglasses-on-stage-indoors look, that was just horrible... but I guess the drugs would do that to anyone!!!

13 hours ago, IpMan said:

Wow, when was the last one taken? The first picture he kinda looks like that actor who played Farris Bueler's sidekick.

Says he was 16, according to the page I found it on. So, 1964?

http://since-ive-been-loving-zeppelin.tumblr.com/post/68626556517/maybe-im-a-leo-john-bonham-his-son-jason-and

9 hours ago, JTM said:

I was half joking, half sarcastic. The OP saying that Planty's voice reduced in power after he shaved off his beard sounded so ridiculous.

This was more or less a tounge-in-cheek post. I don't actually believe that Plant shaving his beard was what caused his vocal power to reduce. I was just noting that in the time period that I consider them the best that they ever were, they all had facial hair in some form or fashion.

Don't be too literal. ;)

12 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

Percy really suits that beard, he looks like a Conquistador, he's about ready to invade and conquer the natives with that look :D... Jimmy just looks like Jimmy with a beard, could be worse though, it could be his later sunglasses-on-stage-indoors look, that was just horrible... but I guess the drugs would do that to anyone!!!

ah! a Conquistador, that's the image I had  in mind. 

jimmys early style was his best in my opinion.

Archived