Vikings

Reggie29

You know, I thought the first season of "Vikings" was spectacular.  Not on the level of "Game of Thrones" or "Breaking Bad",  but still very captivating.  For some reason the second season lost me and I found myself forced to watch it.   The third season captured my interest again and I hope the fourth season reals me in again!

• 2 years later...
On 4/16/2018 at 12:35 PM, Freeyyaa said:

Is it good or bad to be fond of vikings?

Good. Vikings were not simple human versions of Klingons, they were a multi-faceted culture who brought much to European and Russian culture. Their influence can be found all along the Volga and down into the Black Sea on the one hand, and as far west as Nova Scotia and North America. They influenced Frankish culture, essentially re-wrote English and Irish culture, and traded with everyone. The Vikings were first and foremost farmers who liked to raid in the off-season so to speak. They were the first of the European cultures to adopt a pseudo-democratic governance and had the most progressive and advance codified law until English Common Law came about and even that was not as progressive. The Vikings viewed women as equals, not subservient to men or their husbands.

They get a bad rap because of their raids yet everyone forgets about all the other tribes such as the Vandals and Jutes who were doing the same shit but without the culture part. The ninth to eleventh century were some tough ass times but the Vikings brought high art and literature. 

And people should not be too quick regarding the pacivity of the modern Dane & Northfolk lest one forget the absolute badassery of the Winter War and how the Finns held their own against a much, much larger and better equipped Soviet invasion force. Simo Hayha...enough said.

On 19.04.2018 at 4:06 AM, IpMan said:

Good. Vikings were not simple human versions of Klingons, they were a multi-faceted culture who brought much to European and Russian culture. Their influence can be found all along the Volga and down into the Black Sea on the one hand, and as far west as Nova Scotia and North America. They influenced Frankish culture, essentially re-wrote English and Irish culture, and traded with everyone. The Vikings were first and foremost farmers who liked to raid in the off-season so to speak. They were the first of the European cultures to adopt a pseudo-democratic governance and had the most progressive and advance codified law until English Common Law came about and even that was not as progressive. The Vikings viewed women as equals, not subservient to men or their husbands.

They get a bad rap because of their raids yet everyone forgets about all the other tribes such as the Vandals and Jutes who were doing the same shit but without the culture part. The ninth to eleventh century were some tough ass times but the Vikings brought high art and literature. 

And people should not be too quick regarding the pacivity of the modern Dane & Northfolk lest one forget the absolute badassery of the Winter War and how the Finns held their own against a much, much larger and better equipped Soviet invasion force. Simo Hayha...enough said.

And I thought that it is disgusting to be fond of them.

8 hours ago, Freeyyaa said:

And I thought that it is disgusting to be fond of them.

There is much of Viking heritage to be proud of. All cultures have their good and bad, and many cultures which either die out or become assimilated or change over time due to religious conversion such as the Vikings, wind up getting bad raps as history is written by either the victors, or simply the current writers. Take Richard III as an example. As a monarch he was neither good nor bad, he was pretty much what one would expect from a 15th century English king yet history remembers him as a deformed raging asshole because of Shakespeare having his nose lodged firmly up Tudor ass. The Vikings were no different and the reason why they have such a bad rap is mostly due to christian revisionism. This I find particularly ironic in light of the 4th Crusade...that shitstorm made the worse Viking raids seem like an Up with People Festival in comparison.

• 5 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 9:37 PM, IpMan said:

There is much of Viking heritage to be proud of. All cultures have their good and bad, and many cultures which either die out or become assimilated or change over time due to religious conversion such as the Vikings, wind up getting bad raps as history is written by either the victors, or simply the current writers. Take Richard III as an example. As a monarch he was neither good nor bad, he was pretty much what one would expect from a 15th century English king yet history remembers him as a deformed raging asshole because of Shakespeare having his nose lodged firmly up Tudor ass. The Vikings were no different and the reason why they have such a bad rap is mostly due to christian revisionism. This I find particularly ironic in light of the 4th Crusade...that shitstorm made the worse Viking raids seem like an Up with People Festival in comparison.

img_5081.jpg?w=640

Archived