Beautiful number, with a whole pallete of different renditions. One of my favourite ones is the first rough version on the LZIII deluxe version. It's just so damn raw. Who cares if it's sloppy, or an alternative take? 

My "hands down favourite version" is the BBC version from April 1971. It is tight (Bonzo and Jonesy in top form), Jimmy is not too flashy, but rather more presice and soulful in his playing, and last but not the least... Percy's on fire!!! Nuff said, I'd like to hear what y'all think?!

I enjoy all of them from LA '77. 5/30/77, and 5/22/77. Stoke '73 and Nassau '75 are great too. The most epic SIBLY is pleasantly found on How the West Was Won. Thankfully. 9/29/71 too. And Leichester '71.

The MSG '73 SIBLY's are epic too, but the ones that have been stitched together don't sound like Zeppelin to me. They sounded great when I first started listening, but I found the original unaltered versions sounded better.

I must agree the BBC Sessions version is the best. Jimmy and the lads seemed to go for a more intimate stripped down but just as powerful version, and I reckon they NAILED it. The emotion conveyed from first note to last is unmatched.

We already got a thread or two for this... But I'm not one of those people who freak out when they see someone made a new thread similar to an existent one lol.

Anyway, Since I've Been Loving You has always been a favorite of mine (a top 5 of mine)! I've never really cared about the studio version, however the rough mix is pretty spectacular! This song was simply made to be performed on stage, and Zeppelin took it to an entire new level from year to year.  I don't think there's another song that Zeppelin changed so drastically from year to year besides maybe Dazed And Confused and No Quarter. Here's my favorite performances of the song ordered by date, the number next to each is my ranking:

4- Vancouver 3/21/1970. It's hard to beat this early gem. It doesn't get anymore raw than this one.

1- Orlando 8/31/1971. It's impossible to beat the power of this. Bonzo's drums are phenomenal, really wish Bonzo used that drum kit on more tours as it had the best sound IMHO. I didn't realize I had a favorite performance of the song until I was looking at my list. This one is just something else between the power and the excellent soundboard quality!! 

2- Southampton 1/22/1973. Such a nice loose performance. Jimmy's guitar tone sounds great!

7- Seattle 7/17/1973. Similar to the loose performance of Southampton '73, but a little more electric sounding.. Jimmy was definitely using a different guitar here than Southampton. Much better than TSRTS IMO.

6- Nassau Coliseum 2/14/1975. The 3 1975 performances are all fantastic, but I must go with this as the sound quality is flawless.

3- LA Forum 6/23/1977. It doesn't get much better than this! Plant's 10+ second opening scream draws me back. Plus I always like what Plant says before Page's Solo during some of the later '77 performances including this... lol

5- Frankfurt 6/30/1980. This is just a stellar performance and every song is great including this! Love hearing the piano in it for something different too.

Ehh might as well finish my list of my top 10...

8- Leicester 11/25/1971.

9- Copenhagen 7/24/1979.

10- LA Forum 9/4/1970.

7 hours ago, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

Certainly my favourite too.  Both Robert and Jimmy are phenominal on this.

Others:

6/71977 MSG;  Some gorgeous chords and phrases from Jimmy on this one

4.1.1971 BBC - if only for the blood curdling scream Robert produces towards the end

7 hours ago, nick2632 said:

We already got a thread or two for this... But I'm not one of those people who freak out when they see someone made a new thread similar to an existent one lol.

Anyway, Since I've Been Loving You has always been a favorite of mine (a top 5 of mine)! I've never really cared about the studio version, however the rough mix is pretty spectacular! This song was simply made to be performed on stage, and Zeppelin took it to an entire new level from year to year.  I don't think there's another song that Zeppelin changed so drastically from year to year besides maybe Dazed And Confused and No Quarter. Here's my favorite performances of the song ordered by date, the number next to each is my ranking:

4- Vancouver 3/21/1970. It's hard to beat this early gem. It doesn't get anymore raw than this one.

1- Orlando 8/31/1971. It's impossible to beat the power of this. Bonzo's drums are phenomenal, really wish Bonzo used that drum kit on more tours as it had the best sound IMHO. I didn't realize I had a favorite performance of the song until I was looking at my list. This one is just something else between the power and the excellent soundboard quality!! 

2- Southampton 1/22/1973. Such a nice loose performance. Jimmy's guitar tone sounds great!

7- Seattle 7/17/1973. Similar to the loose performance of Southampton '73, but a little more electric sounding.. Jimmy was definitely using a different guitar here than Southampton. Much better than TSRTS IMO.

6- Nassau Coliseum 2/14/1975. The 3 1975 performances are all fantastic, but I must go with this as the sound quality is flawless.

3- LA Forum 6/23/1977. It doesn't get much better than this! Plant's 10+ second opening scream draws me back. Plus I always like what Plant says before Page's Solo during some of the later '77 performances including this... lol

5- Frankfurt 6/30/1980. This is just a stellar performance and every song is great including this! Love hearing the piano in it for something different too.

Ehh might as well finish my list of my top 10...

8- Leicester 11/25/1971.

9- Copenhagen 7/24/1979.

10- LA Forum 9/4/1970.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I really like the Berkeley 71 for it's intensity and power (even though it has a 20 second cut at the beginning),

and Munich 80 for it's laid back "lude like" feel. I believe Jimmy was trying to channel a little I'm Gonna Crawl into the song.

And it's hard to beat the LA run in 77 for energy.

3 hours ago, chef free said:

This is one of the few songs that they almost always nailed.

Pretty much all of 1980 bar 2 or 3 shows and a lot of '77 (even though its my favourite tour) would beg to differ.

Archived