Rating the sound quality of boots

Guest WD52

I thought the general rule of thumb for hi-fidelity sound lay with the source so crap in = crap out in simplistic terms.    I guess to a point you can tinker with a mediocre recording and boost levels and balances but ultimately a very poor audience tape is just that and a top quality hi-fi will only highlight the limitations of the source?

Well not entirely...you hear more of what is on the cd and with a greater degree of clarity (which can be a blessing or a curse!). It does make 'poor' recordings (in terms of tape jamming squeals/wobbles, speed variations, and tape hiss etc) harder to listen to, but means 'poor' recordings (in terms of closeness to stage and clarity) slightly better. It makes some soundboards really shine, but for early '75 gigs really highlights Plant's flu laden voice. As for any graphic equaliser type stuff-I never put anything like that into the signal path, which -at least on higher end hi fi-needs to be as clean as possible. I tend to find that bootlegs sound better in my system, and some commercially produced cds considerably worse (as they tend to be mastered for the mass market and therefore 'average' systems). One of the reasons I stepped down from the Nu-Vista set up was that it really highlighted terrible mastering and mixing on commercial cds.

Archived