What song did Robert plant confess to crying over for the task of writing lyrics for?

rm2551

On TripleM (most popular Rock station in Australia) quite a few years ago now - I remember an interview with Robert Plant (might have been Page/Plant interview, not sure), I was in my work car park as I was on shift work at the time about to start and sat in the car listening and went in late. That premises: I worked there from 1990 for 4 or 5 years before relocating so around then. Andrew Denton I think conducted the interview - it is a bit (LOT) foggy now, but one thing has stuck with me unmistakeably.

During the interview they were talking about <song title>. Robert himself said he felt such pressure to come up with lyrics that would suit and fit such a magnificent piece it actually brought him to tears.

What was that song?

I have not heard/read/seen this anywhere else. I will be 100% certain this is true to my grave as it is something I have often thought about, and always impressed me. I am certain this is legit.

The only promotional visit I'm aware of that either of them ever undertook in Australia between 1990-1999 was from November 14-18, 1994.

I do show they were interviewed by Richard Stubbs on Triple M from 4 to 5 pm on Wed, Nov 16 1994. During this radio broadcast they also performed an acoustic version of No Quarter. I don't own this recording (yet) but I'm fairly certain it's the interview you are thinking of.

They recorded an appearance on Andrew Denton's television show (11/17/94) so I doubt that Denton was also the radio host you are thinking of.

As to the song Robert was referring to, I would guess The Rain Song as it's an evocative song performed as part of the Unledded project but this is merely speculation on my part.

Hi rm2551,

Is this the interview you are looking for? About 1:31 in Robert talks about Kashmir:-)

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/kingsmill/kinghit/

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2569216.htm

During their Unledded tour in 1995, Richard Kingsmill speaks to Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant and Jimmy Page about some of their legacy and legendary songs.

8 hours ago, Deborah J said:

Hi rm2551,

Is this the interview you are looking for? About 1:31 in Robert talks about Kashmir:-)

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/kingsmill/kinghit/

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/media/s2569216.htm

During their Unledded tour in 1995, Richard Kingsmill speaks to Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant and Jimmy Page about some of their legacy and legendary songs.

No it was Richard Stubbs on triple M. (Andrew Denton did have a show on triple M at some stage, but I was wrong on that). I remember the interview was pretty well promoted. I haven't heard the Triple J one. I'll be fascinated if the Triple M one exists.

OKAY, Listened to the "King Hit" one - unless he was closely repeating answers, that sounds like it! - but I don't think during the interview they played the song in the background - but can't be 100%. I am actually wondering if the Triple M interview was a sneaky licensed extract of the Triple J interview. But yeah, that bit on Kashmir, that's the one baby...

We have a winner!!! Thanks for posting. And that probably concludes any kinda "trivia" qualifying knowledge I have! LOL.

Of course in_the_evening got the answer! Well done. 

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The only promotional visit I'm aware of that either of them ever undertook in Australia between 1990-1999 was from November 14-18, 1994.

I do show they were interviewed by Richard Stubbs on Triple M from 4 to 5 pm on Wed, Nov 16 1994. During this radio broadcast they also performed an acoustic version of No Quarter. I don't own this recording (yet) but I'm fairly certain it's the interview you are thinking of.

They recorded an appearance on Andrew Denton's television show (11/17/94) so I doubt that Denton was also the radio host you are thinking of.

As to the song Robert was referring to, I would guess The Rain Song as it's an evocative song performed as part of the Unledded project but this is merely speculation on my part.

Cheers mate, nice info. Stubbsy was a good DJ. Denton's show (and his subsequent shows) were GOLD. He is a brilliant host.

On 2/3/2016 at 7:11 AM, SteveAJones said:

Is The Rain Song also the song Page composed in order to win a bet with George Harrison?  IIRC, Harrison had bet Page that he couldn't compose a ballad.

6 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

I get nothing?  Not even an ASCII beer?

Nothing personal, but your avatar gives me the creeps! 

:drinks: There you go champ.

The avatar I found on the Webs and thought it was hilarious. Someday the actual owner is going to catch up with me. I really should create my own.

Archived