Zep vs.) Motörhead

Newmusicsucks

So some genius on the internet told me Motörhead, is as good as band as Zeppelin. I told him Motörhead, was so so. But, he kept going. Told me I didn't know music because I wouldn't expand my horizons. He also said Motörhead, invented or helped too. Some genre of metal. I said Zeppelin helped invent metal (he said he knew that I doubt it) But, he also kept insisting that Lemmy, had a voice in the same discussion with Plant. Now I don't necessarily dislike Motörhead, when I hear Lemmy I hear a poor mans Robert Plant IMO. Than he tryed arguing albums sold of course Zeppelin wins. Also I argued Motörhead, did wrestling themes.

Thoughts please.

thread moved to newb section in 3...2....1.......:lol:

its not worth comparing. believe it or not bands can co exist and both be good. they had entirely different musical directions. imo led zeppelin didn't have a whole lot of involvement in helping invent metal other than with the musicians they inspired to go out and make music and they feel the same way. by the time led zeppelin released LZIII, which had their first really heavy song (immagrant song) black sabbaths debut album had already for about eight months and was heavier than anything led zeppelin ever did on a studio album. 

lemmys voice is perfect for motorhead just as robert plants voice is perfect for led zeppelin. totally different bands, totally different sounds.

Motorhead is too raw and sleazy.  Most I ever liked is maybe 4-5 songs and the rest kinda sounded repetitive

Roger Daltrey hated both singers of AC/DC and said they sounded like they were screaming like the had a nail stuck in their toe,  wonder if he thought the same about Lemmy

As a stupid 15 year old my buddy and I decided to make our way to the lower East Side of Manhattan. The HQ of the Hells Angels was ( and still is) located on the same block. Even more stupid we walked right in to a gaggle of chrome, rubber, leather ,denim and some serious looking dudes dressed in similar fashion to us.

Biker jackets with denim vests over them. Fastened but the shoulder straps and snap  , Levi's and Engineer Boots, Jeans over the boot never tucked in. My vest had a hand painted Iron Maiden debut album cover on the back with a ZoSo patch underneath. So cool then and so funny now.

Iron Fist by Motorhead was blaring from some unseen source. My buddy decided to spark a cigarette (the illegal kind) "....DEVIL'S GRIP , THE IRON FIST....."  .

My field of vision quickly changed to Engineer Boot heels, fishing billy's , ring laden fists (irony somewhere) . I still heard the Motorhead playing amid the mele and shouts of "let's curb them", then Police Sirens. It was if they really where Angels , the bikers were gone.

For close to two decades I thought I was going to be urinated on, as if the beat down wasn't enough. Never before or since had I taken such a furious ass kicking and the pain lingered for weeks. Broken Ribs.

Fast forward to an episode of The Soprano's (it's/was a Popular Mobster Cable TV program) and the main character "curbed" a rival.... " DEVIL'S GRIP, THE IRON FIST". It was sickening. Imagine you are for some reason going to bite in to a sidewalk curb (really big bite) only to be stomped one time and with great force to the back of your head. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never cared much for Motorhead and certainly Lemmy's voice doesn't compare to Percy's in any stage of it's deterioration. Not even close.

Maybe an Ozzy v. Lemmy argument could be made, the perfect voices for their respective bands.

Somewhere, I have a Mexican import of Motorheads Album Iron Fist on cassette. Yup, I figured I'd try it out.....my friends call me Walnutz for a reason.

As stated, very odd comparison. I must say I've seen Head live 3 times and they always totally cranked, and this made 

up for any lack of subtlety. As it is for other hard rock, metal, and punk bands. People saying Sabbath invented metal,

well partially true, but there are plenty of very early Zep boots where for at least 1/3 to 1/2 the show they are actually

much heavier than Sabbath.. Now as far as Ist albums go, and pushing forward, of course Sabbath was much more

influential,etc. Motörhead, they may have inspired other people to play, but Lemmy's voice AND bass style, harder to

copy then it may appear.

I've seen Motorhead live a few times, great band, love them.

I hate comparing bands and saying who's better than who, you like what you like and that is it.

Lemmy was the real deal, he lived it and breathed it, he was and is and forever shall be Rock-N-Roll!

Well one thing rarely mentioned is just like Zep, Motörhead really was quite original  when they first came out. Certain

influences can be thrown about, but like Zep, they had no precedent. Besides that, as others mentioned, ridiculous to

try to compare the bands.

Archived