Knebworth VHS

Balthazor

I found this little ditty at a used book store the other day. I didn't know any such thing even existed. I like how it says "in association with Peter Grant." Somehow I suspect Grant had nothing to do with this particular recording or it's sale. I doubt it's worth anything, I paid all of $4 for it. Now if only I had a VCR...:lol:

20160314_150656.jpg

6 minutes ago, in_the_evening said:

Everyone but JP is wearing different clothes from the regular shoot we all know and love.  Did they do another shoot with different clothes or is this a well-done photo shopped thing?

Seems there are many pics from both sets of clothes, so it seems to me they just changed their outfits.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=led+zeppelin+knebworth+photo+shoot&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwig49rMtcHLAhUnYpoKHSmQC8wQ_AUIBygB&biw=1440&bih=763#imgrc=hOOHzIjKDnuEnM%3A

16 minutes ago, reswati said:

Have this one, nothing special, if you know how to find it online you can download it within 10 minutes.

It also gets the date wrong, this is the show from the 11th, not the 4th.

Oh I'm sure. I've never bothered looking for a Knebworth video, not really a huge fan of those shows. It's too bad it's the 11th too, I did prefer the 4th. Not that it matters much, by no means am I racing to throw it into my non-existent VCR anyways. It'll likely spend the remainder of it's life as a decorative item.

55 minutes ago, badgeholder said:

It always cracks me up when bootlegs put the Swan Song logo on them and stuff like that. "copyright 2003", etc... shaddup!

That's part of what puzzled me when I saw it. I thought, this can't possibly be an official release. But yeah, it is pretty bold for them to put Grant's name and the Swan Song logo on a bootleg. It's like they're daring him to do something about it.

10 hours ago, Balthazor said:

I found this little ditty at a used book store the other day. I didn't know any such thing even existed. I like how it says "in association with Peter Grant." Somehow I suspect Grant had nothing to do with this particular recording or it's sale.

Frederick Bannister was the festival's promoter..."in association with Peter Grant" is how the SHOWS were promoted and is a reference to that, not the VHS tape itself, which is indeed unlicensed.

If memory serves correct it was released back in 1991, around the same time as another, called The First Cuts, which is essentially outtakes from TSRTS. Both tapes are basically just attempts to exploit the VHS videocassette market, which was very popular at the time. I still have my originals of both. 

I bought that along with the Danish TV show  from an ad in Guitar World in 1992....cost me thirty dollars...US dollars....each...looks like about an 8th generation video quality wise....but I sure watched the hell out of them back then...lol

1 hour ago, 3DayBender said:

I bought that along with the Danish TV show  from an ad in Guitar World in 1992....cost me thirty dollars...US dollars....each...looks like about an 8th generation video quality wise....but I sure watched the hell out of them back then...lol

Just found the ad for the videos in the Luis Rey book (Led Zeppelin Live)..........

one even had to send the money to "P. Grant"....lol

uuiyhrioygiryih.jpeg

7 hours ago, reswati said:

Just found the ad for the videos in the Luis Rey book (Led Zeppelin Live)..........

one even had to send the money to "P. Grant"....lol

uuiyhrioygiryih.jpeg

Oh, yes I remember that ad now, and I see the Knebworth VHS was produced by Toasted, the same label that also released many of the stolen 1980 soundboard recordings on vinyl and compact disc circa 1990. 

I used to be all "Knebworth was really below average for Zeppelin, and even large hunks of the 4th were completely butchered."

Now I'm all "Just watched the 4th and the 11th in their entirety, and I'm floored. My knees are weak. Excellent, even the 11th." I listen to the 11th more these days, just because it is newer to me, as I overlooked it in the past, due to the reputation. You can't call it a bad gig IMO.

Its been a few years, giving the live recordings another run through from 1969-1979. I'm am liking pretty much any note played in those ten years, on stage and off. Guess you could say I used to think Zeppelin were overrated, now I think the opposite is true.

Best gig or worst, it is still the mighty Zeppelin.

The weed places always come and go, Rudy Giuliani did major crackdowns in mid '90s but still easy to get in that area especially the parade in May.   I was there not long ago and many of the shops have a good 5 to 10+ Zep shows and everything under the sun by other bands.

There is a true story about Prince.  One shop always sold his shows and one day Prince parked his limo in front of store, walked right in and took all his boots off the shelf and asked for the CD's at the counter. Manager gave him the CD's and drove off.  They stopped selling his CD's for a few months and started back again.  I think Prince later did a show or some TV award and the store removed his CD's for that week.

http://prince.org/msg/7/52512?pr

>

Yeah, there's no exaggeration there. The drug places sort of rotate, and as I remember you didn't blurt out "I want some

weed or hash". More subtle than that. These shops even had almost the full Unledded and WIC live boots, among all

the Zep, but from the original boot labels, so very expensive. However now this "scene" is definetly diminished, nothing

like it was . Unless your'e talking about some underground thing which gets disclosed to you after numerous purchases

or well acquaintance with a manager or store owner.

This P.Grant guy had mail in auctions back in the day offering rare vinyl such as "The Can" ect.You would mail in your bid and get a return letter

saying wether or not you won.Very high prices even for back then but also rare items were usually offered.Once you won an item you'de recieve

letters with an endless list of zep recordings on tape or vhs.Everything took months usually through the mail.Then one day he disappeared.

Those were the days right before the boot cd began its debut.Zep collecting was still damn near an underground thing so to speak. 

Archived