100 Greatest Drummers of All Time - Rolling Stone

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

100 Greatest Drummers of All Time
From rock thunder machines to punk powerhouses, we count down the kings and queens of slam

#1  John Bonham

On the very first cut of the very first Led Zeppelin LP, John Bonham changed rock drumming forever. Years later, Jimmy Page was still amused by the disorienting impact that "Good Times Bad Times," with its jaw-dropping bass-drum hiccups, had on listeners: "Everyone was laying bets that Bonzo was using two bass drums, but he only had one." Heavy, lively, virtuosic and deliberate, that performance laid out the terrain Bonham's artful clobbering would conquer before his untimely death in 1980. At his most brutally paleolithic he never bludgeoned dully, at his most rhythmically dumbfounding he never stooped to unnecessary wankery, and every night on tour he dodged both pitfalls with his glorious stampede through "Moby Dick." "I spent years in my bedroom – literally fucking years – listening to Bonham's drums and trying to emulate his swing or his behind-the-beat swagger or his speed or power," Dave Grohl once wrote in Rolling Stone, "not just memorizing what he did on those albums but getting myself into a place where I would have the same instinctual direction as he had." This was a course that nearly every post-Bonham rock drummer would follow at one time or another, a quest that allowed the greatest to eventually find their own grooves.

Full article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-drummers-of-all-time-20160331 

Hard to believe that one of those "All Time Greatest" whatever, polls actually got it right. I too initially thought that he had the double bass drum as well. As back in the 70's when I grew up w/ them, there were very little pix. You had to rely on mags like "Circus" & "Hit Parader". Once I saw some stage shots, I was surprised to see only 1 bass drum, just showed what power he actually had.

Congrats Bonham fans.. But just because they got #1 the way we all want it doesn't make the overall list worth much.. Blaring omissions of super talented tasteful players at the expense of more fashionable names... Won't mention those included by name but here's some missing that deserve mention...apologize if I missed any of these in the RS list....

Carl Palmer

Barrimore Barlowe

Bun E Carlos

Gavin Harrison 

Simon Phillips

Prairie Prince

Alan White

Joey Kramer

Peter Erskine

Chad Wackerman

Chester Thompson

Aynsley Dunbar

Mike Mangini

Mike Portnoy

Larrie London

etc...

I know everyone can't be included.. 

And Buddy Rich at #15 is ridiculous...

no nick menza or nick mason? sorry but the list was clearly filled with a lot of nobody's just to try and make the list more diverse. as much as I like bonzo I think he was only placed first because that is what people want to hear. knowing that classic rock is, shall we say the most discussed, they put the obvious drummers in the top 5. I really dont understand these lists, they are recycled like every six months, people argue about who is their favorite then forget about it until the cycle repeats.

3 hours ago, the chase said:

Congrats Bonham fans.. But just because they got #1 the way we all want it doesn't make the overall list worth much.. Blaring omissions of super talented tasteful players at the expense of more fashionable names... Won't mention those included by name but here's some missing that deserve mention...apologize if I missed any of these in the RS list....

Carl Palmer

Barrimore Barlowe

Bun E Carlos

Gavin Harrison 

Simon Phillips

Prairie Prince

Alan White

Joey Kramer

Peter Erskine

Chad Wackerman

Chester Thompson

Aynsley Dunbar

Mike Mangini

Mike Portnoy

Larrie London

etc...

+1

1 hour ago, sk8rat said:

no nick menza or nick mason? sorry but the list was clearly filled with a lot of nobody's just to try and make the list more diverse. as much as I like bonzo I think he was only placed first because that is what people want to hear. knowing that classic rock is, shall we say the most discussed, they put the obvious drummers in the top 5. I really dont understand these lists, they are recycled like every six months, people argue about who is their favorite then forget about it until the cycle repeats.

Incredibly, no Roger Taylor either.

Where the hell are Ginger Baker and Roger Taylor?! :huh:

There goes 20 minutes of my life, as a result of reading a list compiled by Rolling Stone magazine! :rolleyes: 

But on the plus side, I was very happy to see Neil Peart, so high up on the list! :D 

Oh and as already mentioned, congrats Bonzo!! B) 

1 hour ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Where the hell are Ginger Baker and Roger Taylor?! :huh:

There goes 20 minutes of my life, as a result of reading a list compiled by Rolling Stone magazine! :rolleyes: 

But on the plus side, I was very happy to see Neil Peart, so high up on the list! :D 

Oh and as already mentioned, congrats Bonzo!! B) 

Ummm...Ginger Baker is #3. 

What cracks me up is Rolling Stone spent the 1970s slagging John Bonham's drumming and now they put him #1.

And I still remember the Playboy Music Poll that had Bonham below Karen Carpenter, haha.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Ummm...Ginger Baker is #3. 

What cracks me up is Rolling Stone spent the 1970s slagging John Bonham's drumming and now they put him #1.

And I still remember the Playboy Music Poll that had Bonham below Karen Carpenter, haha.

Whoops! Damn! I re-visited the list and it looks like I had a total brain fart! :lol: Been Dazed and Confused, you see? ;) 

Besides, when it comes to scanning a list compiled by RS, I am always eagerly looking to find something wrong with it, especially since they have always been overly critical of Zep and Rush (barring recent times, of course)! :P 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 5:51 AM, Strider said:

Karen Carpenter wasn't at Bonham's level, but she could certainly play the drums. Found some stuff on YouTube that showed her drumming talents.. Very very good..

She had the voice of an angel too. 

On April 2, 2016 at 11:20 PM, the chase said:

Carl Palmer

Barrimore Barlowe

Bun E Carlos

Gavin Harrison 

Simon Phillips

Prairie Prince

Alan White

Joey Kramer

Peter Erskine

Chad Wackerman

Chester Thompson

Aynsley Dunbar

Mike Mangini

Mike Portnoy

Larrie London

etc...

Overall, its a pretty decent list and of course great drummers are going to be left out but, Alphonse Mouzon was the glaring omission to me. 

On 4/16/2016 at 0:08 PM, blindwillie127 said:

Overall, its a pretty decent list and of course great drummers are going to be left out but, Alphonse Mouzon was the glaring omission to me. 

Absolutely. I don't like singling out anyone that gets some sort of recognition and try to claim they don't deserve it.. As evident in the Hall Of Fame thread. I just hate when deserving people are excluded for no good reason.. How Louis Bellson!! or Carl Palmer is not the top 100 drummers of all time is inexcusable.

Carl Palmer did things nobody has ever touched.. The way he complimented Keith Emerson is in some cases mind boggling and much harder to play than it might sound..

Louis Bellson was playing double bass drums before anybody by about 20 years. He had double bass setups in the late 30's early 40's.  He was second only to Buddy Rich in the world of Big Band Drummers. 

1 and 2 are right on the money.  Bono and Moon and then everyone else.  But to me Palmer from ELP is a solid number 3.  For anyone that does not know ELP is Emerson, Lake and Palmer.  Great band I was lucky enough to see once.  Keith Emerson would have my vote for best rock and roll keyboard player all day.  Then Lord, Wakeman, and JPJ.

Moon was not the precision drummer that Bonzo was.  He was fabulous of course.  Bonham was the complete package.  He was simply incredible.

Very surprised Carl Palmer didn't make it as he was one of the best ever!  I personally would put Buddy Rich, right behind Bonham.  It would not have irked me if Rich was numero uno as he was so good!  He would be the only one, I would even consider putting ahead of Bonham.  This is a RS survey and in general you can't think much of these with serious omissions and many are farther up on the list than they should be. 

As much of a Jimmy Page fan I am, I'd personally put him number 2 and behind Beck as he's just that good.  Hendrix always finishes number one in these but he had only a three year career or so and is a good reason why I don't put him near the top.  Not sure, where I'd rank Jimi but most likely in top five.

Archived