Question re Destroyer, 27th April 1977

Crimson Avenger

On 4/28/2016 at 4:41 AM, zepster1979 said:

Does anyone can point on the sound quality of the 4LP bootleg set called The destroyer that was released by Smilin' Ears label? I have a chance to buy this for just couple of $ and wonderin' if it's worth of a penny.

It's an audience recording - I would say if it's in like new condition you can pay $60-70 and be able to sell it at a small profit if you find you don't like it.

Also if the price is literally 2 dollars and you didn't snap it up you would be too stupid to write complete sentences so I suspect you are some type of bot.

3 hours ago, Pb! said:

It's an audience recording - I would say if it's in like new condition you can pay $60-70 and be able to sell it at a small profit if you find you don't like it.

Also if the price is literally 2 dollars and you didn't snap it up you would be too stupid to write complete sentences so I suspect you are some type of bot.

If that's a vinyl version of the April 28 show (I'm guessing that it is if it's an audience recording), I'd drop sixty or seventy bucks on the thing with no hesitation...

6 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

If that's a vinyl version of the April 28 show (I'm guessing that it is if it's an audience recording), I'd drop sixty or seventy bucks on the thing with no hesitation...

I bought the 4-record set of the April 28th show for $ 40 all the way back in April of 1978. Purchased it at Rolling Stone records on Washington St. In Chicago. I've played that awesome show so many times there are no grooves left . Happily threadbare!

On 5/6/2016 at 2:38 AM, Nutrocker said:

Out of curiosity, how is the sound quality of the April 28 vinyl compared to the common circulating digital versions?

It's similar... it is missing 'Stairway'.  And all the 'Oh, fuck!'s.

You have given 5/30/77 and 5/22/77 a listen right? 4/27 is great and all, but Jimmy sounds drunk as hell. The thin sound his guitar has might be why it sounds that way but still, it's pretty sloppy throughout to me. I like it... But I prefer the sound and playing in all the other soundboards we have from '77 over Destroyer. Even though the 1st gen upgrade is epic, it's just not my favorite gig.

4/28 and 4/30 would be great to have on soundboard, but I think 4/30 would be the tighter performance. 4/28 board would probably reveal too much since the audience recording has such a nice sound. That's the destroyer I want though, a board from 4/28

^^^

From the first leg, a soundboard of Atlanta (April 23) or the final night in Chicago (April 10) would be nice as well- good performances that are hard to appreciate on the crappy sounding audience recordings.

• 2 years later...
On 4/26/2016 at 1:09 AM, Nutrocker said:

The version I have of Destroyer must be an old vinyl rip or something- it sounds completely different to every other source I've heard- it sounds like an actual live album and not  a typical "dry" soundboard recording. Mind ya, I've had the thing for twenty something years so my copy predates most of the "known gen" sources that have cropped up in recent years. 

I'd love to find a copy of the April 28 "Destroyer" show on vinyl, but they don't come cheap.

I'll give the edge to the Fort Worth show as being the best '77 soundboard thus far. If the entire June 11 performance appeared and not just the three song teaser that circulates, that'd be the best one.

Does yours sound like this? I've been looking for this one and CANNOT FIND IT. Any idea what might help me find it?

Thanks,

ALB

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2016 at 6:14 PM, Chicago said:

Rolling Stone records on Washington St. In Chicago

The place to go for Zeppelin boots back in the day. Was there a few years ago. Still in business and selling boots (on CD & DVD) for decent prices too. I bought my first Blueberry Hill and The Destroyer box set there in the mid-80's. Also In The Light there too!

Archived