BEST LIVE VERSION OF NO QUARTER?

3 hours ago, cocksuckerblues said:

Without a doubt, March 21, '75. Now we have it on soundboard. Superb version.

I love this version too, but I actually prefer the one on March 27 in L.A., and would probably pick it as my all-time fav.

I really like the May 23rd EC NQ. Jimmy's use of the Strat instead of the LP made for a brilliant, and very interesting solo. The tone is great and his tremolo use is great but yet not over-done. Perhaps one of my favorite Page solos hands down.

On 04/08/2017 at 8:05 AM, IpMan said:

I really like the May 23rd EC NQ. Jimmy's use of the Strat instead of the LP made for a brilliant, and very interesting solo. The tone is great and his tremolo use is great but yet not over-done. Perhaps one of my favorite Page solos hands down.

Interestingly, Jimmy once singled out 'No Quarter' at Earl's Court - not sure which night though - as a definite inclusion on his long-proposed chronological live album had it been realized... hopefully we'll hear it some day if an official EC live album ever happens.

16 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

Interestingly, Jimmy once singled out 'No Quarter' at Earl's Court - not sure which night though - as a definite inclusion on his long-proposed chronological live album had it been realized... hopefully we'll hear it some day if an official EC live album ever happens.

He was referring to the 24th of May rendition of No Quarter.

7 hours ago, duckman said:

He was referring to the 24th of May rendition of No Quarter.

I find that version grossly overrated.  There are easily 15 other '75 versions I prefer, including each of the four other Earls Court versions.

1 minute ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I find that version grossly overrated.  There are easily 15 other '75 versions I prefer, including each of the four other Earls Court versions.

In the same interview Jimmy says How many more times from RAH is a clear winning version and he was considering the stuff from Southampton University refectory. We shouldn't forget that his framework of reference is the multi tracks he had at his disposition to compile a chronological live album. Soundboards (Seattle, Long Beach, Vancouver) or great audience tapes (Earl's Court 5/18 or Maryland, L.A 77) are excluded ...alas

6 minutes ago, duckman said:

In the same interview Jimmy says How many more times from RAH is a clear winning version and he was considering the stuff from Southampton University refectory. We shouldn't forget that his framework of reference is the multi tracks he had at his disposition to compile a chronological live album. Soundboards (Seattle, Long Beach, Vancouver) or great audience tapes (Earl's Court 5/18 or Maryland, L.A 77) are excluded ...alas

True, shame :/

6 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

What's criminal to me is being forced to watch JPJ riding around on a fucking horse while Page is playing the best solo of his life (or anybody else's). 

Totally!!!  Page's solo is one of his all time greatest IMO. Wish they'd do a new cut with alternate footage  of the band playing. Honestly those "fantasy sequences " always bum me out as I'd much rather see them playing than watching that self-indulgent attempt at "art". Except for Bonzos which is down to earth and unpretentious. 

Edited by porgie66

4 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I can kind of see both points of view though, its certainly not "bad" and is probably the slickest of the versions from EC but its also lacking a bit of spark to it. The version from the 18th has more grace to it IMHO and the 23rd has one of JPJ most atmospheric solo's.

I do always tend to go back to the 27/3 in LA though, maybe not the most energetic version ever much I think the best constructed with the jam just building and building in intensity, I think it actually helps a bit that Page isn't lighting it up though out as it gives JPJ a bit more space.

2 hours ago, greenman said:

I can kind of see both points of view though, its certainly not "bad" and is probably the slickest of the versions from EC but its also lacking a bit of spark to it. The version from the 18th has more grace to it IMHO and the 23rd has one of JPJ most atmospheric solo's.

I do always tend to go back to the 27/3 in LA though, maybe not the most energetic version ever much I think the best constructed with the jam just building and building in intensity, I think it actually helps a bit that Page isn't lighting it up though out as it gives JPJ a bit more space.

Yeah, 3/27/75 is my favourite version ever precisely for that reason; the piano solo is perfect, then my favourite piano & drum section before Jimmy comes in, and then Jimmy's solo sort of tells a story, if you will.  I'm not sure how to properly refer to the section that I'm talking about, but at about 18:54 (on Deep Throat III at least...) Jimmy repeats this little pattern several times and the crowd goes nuts--one of my favourite Zeppelin moments.  I'm sure Strider can attest to what it was like in the flesh...

I have it set to start at 18:05.  The part I'm talking about starts at 19:09 on this version.

I'd have to go with 6/23/77. Yes, TSRTS version is legendary, but it's edited and, while tight, only hints at what the band would do with the song in the future. While Page's solo here doesn't compare with TSRTS, I really feel like the band as a whole nailed what they were trying to do with this song live. There are no wasted notes, no moments that drag on for too long, no points where I lose interest. Every section flows and, at 30 minutes, it manages to fly by. Plus, listen to that climax! "The dogs of doom are howling more" indeed!

For every mood there's a suitable No Quarter. But since I grew up with the May 24 version on the 1975 Earl's Court boot lp on LZ Europe followed by TSRTS a few months later, both these versions will stay my desert isle versions. And if Jimmy gets a go  from Percy and Jonesy to produce  the live anthology, I will be a very, very lucky bugger. :hurrah: . For the time being I enjoy plenty of live No Quarters from 73, 75, 77 and 79. 

Edited by duckman

This thread is excellent - and one of the reasons I joined the Forum, to hear what other knowledgable fans think about various shows.  I can listen to only so many shows and I can't remember them all.  It is great to have all the ideas and suggestions in one place on particular songs.  Thanks to everyone for sharing ideas and thoughts on excellent performances.  One version in particular I had not listened to in a while is LA 3-27-75 mentioned above by a few people.  Fantastic !!  When I first got 3-27-75 on cassette tape in the early 90s I made a compilation on cassette of NQ 75 jams.  A great cassette to take on a plane flight.  

38 minutes ago, John M said:

This thread is excellent - and one of the reasons I joined the Forum, to hear what other knowledgable fans think about various shows.  I can listen to only so many shows and I can't remember them all.  It is great to have all the ideas and suggestions in one place on particular songs.  Thanks to everyone for sharing ideas and thoughts on excellent performances.  One version in particular I had not listened to in a while is LA 3-27-75 mentioned above by a few people.  Fantastic !!  When I first got 3-27-75 on cassette tape in the early 90s I made a compilation on cassette of NQ 75 jams.  A great cassette to take on a plane flight.  

I think the 3-25-75 NQ is the best version from the LA shows, probably my all-time favorite in fact (although overall I prefer the '73 versions).

2 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I think the 3-25-75 NQ is the best version from the LA shows, probably my all-time favorite in fact (although overall I prefer the '73 versions).

It is a cloudy and rainy day so I went back and listened to all the LA 75 NQ again.  indeed 3-25 is fabulous !  The piano playing is especially stunning.  When people tell me that Wakeman and Emerson were better than Jones I have them listen to stuff like this.  Jones was so creative and not just about bombast and rapid flourishes.   When I listen to NQ from LA 75 I realize they are not just performing a song.  They are creating new music every night, live on the spot.  And that is different from just "jamming" the way alot of bands do.  What makes NQ so interesting and endlessly fascinating is the interplay among Jones, Bonham and Page.  you can hear them develop ideas in real time, playing off each other in new ways every night.