Am I the only one who hates Jimmy's noise solos?

Eman the Epic

37 minutes ago, reswati said:

^^

It's Erich Zann, not Zahn (which is the German word for "tooth").

Lol.

Foggy glasses :peace:

37 minutes ago, juxtiphi said:

Doesn't the stuff he did on Lucifer Rising and the Death Wish II soundtrack covers this?

Death Wish II, no -- that was a strong album with a couple of good "songs" on it. I'm particular to "The Release" instrumental, "City Sirens", Chopin's "Prelude" and "Carol's Theme", and the rest is pretty decent, except for Farlowe's singing.  One of the most underappreciated and underrated albums of the 80s, i've always thought.  But why Farlowe?

Lucifer Rising isn't guitar is it?  It's mostly synthesizer, and will always exist in the Kenneth Anger context, which would have been great if Anger had used Page's music. The twists and turns of the failed Lucifer Rising affair cant help but taint the listening experience.  I understand there's some extra stuff on there that could be more in the vein of what I'm talking about - unfortunately I haven't heard that stuff yet. 

I'd like to hear the live guitar pieces from 1977 presented as noise art, and then see if Jimmy can build new material off of those. Spacemen 3 did an entire 45-minute record (Dreamweapon, 1990) building off of a G chord.  There's plenty to work with in all those "Guitar Solo" recordings.  

^^Page did some theramin and bow stuff during the making of Deathwish 2, before he brought in other musicians to finish Deathwish 2 up. It didn't make it on Deathwish 2 or Deathwish 2: Expansion, but Page put it on Lucifer Rising: The Second Coming, which albums are all on the "Soundtracks" boxset.

It's called Sonic Textures; "Earth," "Air," "Fire," "Water" and "Ether". It's pretty cool.

7 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

^^Page did some theramin and bow stuff during the making of Deathwish 2, before he brought in other musicians to finish Deathwish 2 up. It didn't make it on Deathwish 2 or Deathwish 2: Expansion, but Page put it on Lucifer Rising: The Second Coming, which albums are all on the "Soundtracks" boxset.

It's called Sonic Textures; "Earth," "Air," "Fire," "Water" and "Ether". It's pretty cool.

Thanks, I'm going to need to hear that soon.  It's probably time to go visit his internet store.

On 7/3/2016 at 9:40 PM, riffsofpage said:

His innovation: theramin and the bow, beyond his utterly unique style of playing which stands on its own as one of the greatest of all time. Innovation in other circles is laughable:  Pete Townshend smashing the guitar or Hendrix playing with his teeth.

Noise is often confused with something simply foreign or new to the ears.- easily re-defined over time to music or genius

I just wish he had a special guitar to lay the bow - maybe one with a curved stage so he could single out certain notes better ;-)

There is no need to trash Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townshend in discussing Jimmy's experiments with sound during the 1977 shows. To reduce Jimi's and Pete's contributions to rock guitar to just a couple of visual gimmicks shows a decided lack of respect.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

There is no need to trash Jimi Hendrix and Pete Townshend in discussing Jimmy's experiments with sound during the 1977 shows. To reduce Jimi's and Pete's contributions to rock guitar to just a couple of visual gimmicks shows a decided lack of respect.

Personally, I lost all of my "respect" for Pete Townshend after Entwistle died on tour, and the band only cancelled two shows before replacing him and continued on with the the tour. It does not negate his "contributions to rock guitar" but I find it to be distasteful as well as disrespectful to their original bass player of 38 yrs, to say the least. Townshend took 'the show must go on' philosophy to an all time low...IMO. 

3 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Personally, I lost all of my "respect" for Pete Townshend after Entwistle died on tour, and the band only cancelled two shows before replacing him and continued on with the the tour. It does not negate his "contributions to rock guitar" but I find it to be distasteful as well as disrespectful to their original bass player of 38 yrs, to say the least. Townshend took 'the show must go on' philosophy to an all time low...IMO. 

That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. After all, you are talking to a guy who thinks they should have hung it up after Moon died. But I still recognize what Pete meant for rock guitar in the early days.

4 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Yes, that was despicable behavior and showed not just a lack of respect but a lack of humanity. It also showed exactly what Townsend thought about the other three members of The Who in general...it is HIS band, THEY are all replaceable and just employees of Pete doing a paid job, nothing more. So, when you think about it, Townsend could not have come up with a more apt name for the band then he did.

On 6/5/2016 at 11:54 AM, SteveAJones said:

They haven't aged well at all.

Robert Plant looks older than Jimmy Page. Too many years smoking and a wild life took its toll. He's still sexy in my book..

On 7/9/2016 at 6:24 PM, rebbie said:

Robert Plant looks older than Jimmy Page. Too many years smoking and a wild life took its toll. He's still sexy in my book..

roberts goatee makes him look way older.

What's odd with Page is he still has these odd weight fluctuations, and heavier he has few wrinkles. But the weight goes

down, and he looks worn. Has anyone noticed this ?? It's pretty noticeable. The noise solo was somewhat of an embarassment: I saw 5 or 6 VH shows/Roth, and Eddie usually did his solo showcase for 8-15 minutes. However, even non-musicians really appreciated his stuff, Eddie was really focused and played stuff that was mind blowing and had continuity.

Page's solo except for the bow many times was just too random sounding and to be honest showed how deluded he 

was. To be so spaced out and thinking the crowd probably finds this awesome, unbelievable. I've got compassion for

Jimmy, but I'm sure if you played one of weaker solos in front of Jimmy, I'm not that convinced he would laugh it off.

8 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Page's solo except for the bow many times was just too random sounding and to be honest showed how deluded he 

was. To be so spaced out and thinking the crowd probably finds this awesome, unbelievable. I've got compassion for

Jimmy, but I'm sure if you played one of weaker solos in front of Jimmy, I'm not that convinced he would laugh it off.

I won't disagree because how can one? I love noise as an art form but there are days when I can't get into it.  I believe he had a map, but sometimes the map was hard to find in his state of being. He's trying to splice together "tissues of sound" - he explains it to S. Rosen in the long Guitar Player interview in 1977, done right at the time he's doing the noise solo, obviously. 

"When you've got a collage of say, four of these sounds together, people will be drawn right in because there will be sounds they hadn't heard before. That's basically what I'm into: collages and tissues of sound with emotional intensity and melody and all that. But you know there are so many good people around like John McLaughlin and people like that. It's a totally different thing that what I'm doing."

There is a mad beauty in what he's trying to do, and to realize no one before or since has tried to do that on quite the scale as LEd Zeppelin, and in an emotional state that at times had to be rather bleak. Brilliant. Scary. Flawed. Courageous - all that and then some.

Page's comments in that 77' interview were right on the money, but I really think he's talking about the studio, not live.

Sometimes live, like in TSRTS(the song) and some high speed solos Jimmy did sound like 2 or 3 guitars at once. IMO

there were some at times interesting themes/ideas in the noise solo, much of it sounded disjointed and poorly

rehearsed. Again, even if you don't like EVH, check out some of his spotlights, he sounds just as reckless and free

as Page, but he never falls into Page's fall off the cliff into chaos. Believe me, I've listened to this stuff stoned and wrecked.

The "Cathedral Connection" ??  possible, but Jimmy never took that technique beyond 15-20 ?? seconds, and it just 

sounded like a gimmick.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

Page's comments in that 77' interview were right on the money, but I really think he's talking about the studio, not live.

Sometimes live, like in TSRTS(the song) and some high speed solos Jimmy did sound like 2 or 3 guitars at once. IMO

there were some at times interesting themes/ideas in the noise solo, much of it sounded disjointed and poorly

rehearsed. Again, even if you don't like EVH, check out some of his spotlights, he sounds just as reckless and free

as Page, but he never falls into Page's fall off the cliff into chaos. Believe me, I've listened to this stuff stoned and wrecked.

The "Cathedral Connection" ??  possible, but Jimmy never took that technique beyond 15-20 ?? seconds, and it just 

sounded like a gimmick.

Well put. On the night's Jimmy was less inebriated, the solo worked well, however on night's where the white lady was in charge, it just fell apart or never really jelled. Now EVH unfortunately wound up having a bit too much in common with Page as live he was brilliant until 84' and then he had his Page moments as well as his alcohol addiction really screwed up his live performances. I saw them twice, once in 84' and once in 88' and EVH was a train wreck actually worse than Page at his sloppiest in 84' (first Phoenix show), the crowed boo'ed throughout and people even started to leave by mid-show. Though in 88' he was in good form. I guess Sammy kept him sober for a few years as I heard he became hit or miss live throughout the 90's. Nice to see EVH is back in top form again, I really hate when addiction gets the better of them.  

I'll take Page's "Guitar Solo" off of destroyer over the EVH solos anyday, but that's just me.  In general, that Cleveland show isn't one of his stronger overall performances from the tour, but the Guitar solo really hit me.  There's something different going on there that I like, obviously, b/c I've been going on about it.

And I do like Van Halen - bought all six of the Roth records as a teenager and dug them all. Cathedral is great! - and I agree - I don't see much of reference point to what Page was doing, either.  

On 7/9/2016 at 9:24 PM, rebbie said:

Losing a child will also put years on... I can't imagine what he went through.. Give him a break.   I respect that he didn't go under the knife. 

The child, absolutely, and smoking. However all the stuff I've heard and read, Plant was never on the 24/7 rampages that

Page and Bonham were. Can't remember even one account of Plant being totally drunk and incoherent, or being

obviously out out of it onstage. And pretty sure after Karac's death(77'), no more drugs at all, although I did hear that

sometime in the 90's pot and psychedelics may have come back in(very reliable source). Also Robert liked to be in the 

sun a lot, obviously. I think genetics are very involved as well. With Jimmy, facially he didn't really look that bad on 

heroin, but when he quit and drank very heavily also on coke, he aged tremendously from. 40 to 50. Happens to many

former opiate addicts, the huge alcohol intake ages prematurely.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

The child, absolutely, and smoking. However all the stuff I've heard and read, Plant was never on the 24/7 rampages that

Page and Bonham were. Can't remember even one account of Plant being totally drunk and incoherent, or being

obviously out out of it onstage. And pretty sure after Karac's death(77'), no more drugs at all, although I did hear that

sometime in the 90's pot and psychedelics may have come back in(very reliable source). Also Robert liked to be in the 

sun a lot, obviously. I think genetics are very involved as well. With Jimmy, facially he didn't really look that bad on 

heroin, but when he quit and drank very heavily also on coke, he aged tremendously from. 40 to 50. Happens to many

former opiate addicts, the huge alcohol intake ages prematurely.

Maybe its just me but Robert looked like he aged a good 10 years after Karac's death. Seeing him in 79' he looked closer to 40 than he did 30. Bonham, shit, the booze and the drugs really nailed him hard aging wise. By 77' he looked like a man well into his 40's. The change in him visually from 73' -77' is startling.

Don't even get me started on Jimmy, he could have been Nancy Reagan's poster child for anti-drug posters in the 80's. Just have one side showing Jimmy in 73' next to a picture of him in 77' and the rate of drug use among teens would have plummeted overnight.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of fun every now and again, but if you overdo it, be prepared to pay the price.

There is a video of Bonham in 1980 smoking a cigarette on TV for a few moments , he looks much older.   Maybe it's the beard.    Robert looks plain horrible with that Mullet hair doo and really short, but looks better again with longer hair

Yeah, absolutely Plant aged quickly after his boy's death. However starting with his solo career, he looked more relaxed.

79' and 80', to my eyes Robert often had a pained expression. Page to me in 77', is just a big mystery. Of course he is

too thin, but certain shows his face looks noticeably fuller, some shows his face is cadaverous and drawn. It's almost

as if he is existing on a completely insane diet/drug regimen, because IMO there are times where he's just too thin,

and then there was the concentration camp appearance. Actually you can see a bit of this oddness on the 75' tours,

with Jimmy almost overnight getting a little beer belly, a week later, almost gone(still healthy, though). Whatever.

Archived