The Police

DoubleNecker

My daughter went to Rio de Janeiro, on the last 8th of this month of December (as I was in London to watch Led Zeppelin B) ) to watch The Police's concert in Maracanã Stadium. She said they were fantastic and that she had a great time. :D

Edited by brspled

I didn't get into the Police immediately, maybe that had to do with the fact that was I never a huge Roxanne fan but I certainly liked a lot of their material back when they were still new. Still, it took me until Synchonicity before I ever purchased any of their records. Shortly thereafter they were scheduled to play Greensboro, NC but none of my deadass friends wanted to go so I passed. Thankfully I got a chance many years later to finally see them again only this time it was Charlotte on their recent reunion tour. Tickets were $90 for the nosebleed section, something I'm not so sure I'd do again but at least I got to see the Police. There was concern just a day or so before the show as Sting came down with the flu, prompting the cancellation of their Philly show. If Sting had been sick, he showed no signs of it when they took the stage in Charlotte.

Just a few weeks ago I came across their new retrospective in the used section of a local CD store for the very reasonable price of $10.00 so I snatched it up. I still plan on picking up the box at some point though as it has everything in one place.

510-GRd8PtL._AA240_.jpg

One of the members said bad things about the Clash

Therefore they (the police) suck

As though the Clash always had kind things to say about their fellow musicians. If I like the music that's enough for me, everyone has an opinion.

Sting once slammed Bob Marley in an interview and went on to say The Police weren't influenced by him at all. The backlash was so harsh it wasn't long before he retracted that statement.

Sting once slammed Bob Marley in an interview and went on to say The Police weren't influenced by him at all. The backlash was so harsh it wasn't long before he retracted that statement.

I guess he in turn influenced Kingdom Come.... :mellow:

I love the Police. Sadly I missed them in concert in their heyday as I got into them after Synchronicity came out. But I still listen to their cds and I love their unique sound and energy. Stewart Copeland is an amazing drummer too :D

Celia - you passed up seeing the Police for that band Led Zeppelin- really <_< Must have been a tough choice :D

Celia - you passed up seeing the Police for that band Led Zeppelin- really <_< Must have been a tough choice :D

Sorry...it wasn't that difficult really, for I got to see The Police at their heydays actually....here in SP, in a small venue, no more than 1000 people. :D

:P

I saw them in early '79 at the Bottom Line and CBGB's with my now husband. He had seen them in the fall of '78, a week or so before we met, during their first CB's appearance. They were so new then that, when we left the Bottom Line and went to an after hours club, people in the club mistook my husband and his friends for the Police. All that and I never really got into their music.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw the Police on their Synchronicity tour in '83; it was a great show. REM opened, but we got lost on the way to the arena and missed them :(. I had all of the Police's albums/cassettes, and then bought the boxed set of CDs about 10 years ago. I especially liked their earlier stuff; including Sting's appearance on "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball", when he did unplugged versions of Roxanne and Message in a Bottle. I had that album (vinyl) and video; not just for Sting though; the whole thing was fantastic. I also thought he was very cool in Quadrophenia :) I don't listen to them much these days though; they toured nearby this fall, and tickets were extremely high $$ so I passed.

I like The Police, saw em this past summer. They were great in my opinion... never realized how great a drummer Stuart Copeland is!! Sting's son's band opened up for them and they were signing autographs after their set, Sting's son was a sweetheart. (Not bad looking either. :D :D)