The Police

DoubleNecker

I am a fan of the Police. I didn't get to see them live back in the day but swore if they ever reunited, I'd go! I didn't think it would happen but voila....they reunited. I saw them in Vegas at the MGM Grand; excellent show!!!

I own the box set; my favorite Police album is Regatta De Blanc (The Bed's Too Big Without You is my favorite track off the album).

They were a good band in the early day's. Saw them at the Garden's with the Specials and again at the Colisseum with XTC. Gotta say they had they're work cut out for them at both shows

I think Andy Summers is a great guitarist, with the police its understated and does what is needed, while outside of the Police he is an amazing Jazzer !! I think it takes alot as a musician who can really play like he can to keep it simple in the Police format without the need to overplay, say like alot of metal guitarists who seem to have to cram as many notes into the time it would take for us to say hi !!

I have a love hate relationship with The Police, all that early Reggie stuff was alittle bit iffy for me, not all of it but some , ( I like Bob Marley). Synchronicity II I really think is so cool and love to play that on my guitar !! I like the way Summers uses those SUS type chords on Every breath and Message in a Bottle !!

He grew up in the town I was born in, I have the stupid claim that when I was a teen I nicked his golf ball !! this was at the local golf course that he would come and play on in his days with the Police in the early 80's !!!! if your reading Andy I am very sorry as we kids were a pain in the backside, following you around, hiding in bushes and then running out when you teed off, then as you watched your ball disappear over the hill of the 3rd hole, we would run on and take your ball before you got to the top of the hill and look for it !! Oh what we do when we are 13 <_<:rolleyes::blink::)

Edited by leddy

I think Andy Summers is a great guitarist, with the police its understated and does what is needed, while outside of the Police he is an amazing Jazzer !! I think it takes alot as a musician who can really play like he can to keep it simple in the Police format without the need to overplay, say like alot of metal guitarists who seem to have to cram as many notes into the time it would take for us to say hi !!

I have a love hate relationship with The Police, all that early Reggie stuff was alittle bit iffy for me, not all of it but some , ( I like Bob Marley). Synchronicity II I really think is so cool and love to play that on my guitar !! I like the way Summers uses those SUS type chords on Every breath and Message in a Bottle !!

He grew up in the town I was born in, I have the stupid claim that when I was a teen I nicked his golf ball !! this was at the local golf course that he would come and play on in his days with the Police in the early 80's !!!! if your reading Andy I am very sorry as we kids were a pain in the backside, following you around, hiding in bushes and then running out when you teed off, then as you watched your ball disappear over the hill of the 3rd hole, we would run on and take your ball before you got to the top of the hill and look for it !! Oh what we do when we are 13 <_<:rolleyes::blink::)

Andy's performance really impressed me; he's an excellent guitarist. :)

I don't mind some solo Sting but a great deal of it begins to sound like the same song over and over again. I definitely prefer his work with The Police.

I liked most of Sting's solo work, specifically his first solo albums. The highpoint of his solo work for me was the "Soul Cages" cd. However it dropped off to me after that album.

• 4 months later...
There was an article on Bonzo were he made fun of them as they were starting to get big, he wasn't a fan

I thought it was the opposite. I know Jason has said he was totally into The Police (and New Wave) when he was younger due to his dad's love of them. However, I do recall reading a story from Deborah , that Bonzo, Jason and Deborah met them backstage at one of their gigs and Sting was rather arrogant towards John which certainly...and obviously... disgruntled Deborah. Maybe that ended the love affair, but certainly when Roxanne came out John commented on how much he loved the song and how he knew they were going to be huge.

On a personal note, I was a big Police fan and had a big crush on Sting for sure. I have a photo somewhere where I am sat on a police motorcycle with my Police t-shirt on (I was 13 at the time...give me a break! :D )...I shall have to dig it out and post it for a laugh. I do look quite ridiculous :lol:

Yes, the Police WERE good and if goddamn Kiss can have a thread on here, then

by all means the Police deserve one, too.

Their albums were good, and a couple were even better than good, and their concerts

were energetic and fun...first time I saw them was when they opened for the Cars in

1978 and boy, talk about your disparities: Cars just standing there bored stiff, while

the Police bounced around the room and blew the Cars off the stage!

But, and I mean BUT, this Police reunion tour has been one big drag...exhorbitant

ticket prices, lifeless shows...not even close to what the Police once were.

That said, get their albums for sure if you haven't already.

Yes, the Police WERE good and if goddamn Kiss can have a thread on here, then

by all means the Police deserve one, too.

As far as I know, anyone can create a thread for any artist on here.

Their albums were good, and a couple were even better than good, and their concerts

were energetic and fun...first time I saw them was when they opened for the Cars in

1978 and boy, talk about your disparities: Cars just standing there bored stiff, while

the Police bounced around the room and blew the Cars off the stage!

But, and I mean BUT, this Police reunion tour has been one big drag...exhorbitant

ticket prices, lifeless shows...not even close to what the Police once were.

That said, get their albums for sure if you haven't already.

Having seen the Police on the last leg of their most recent tour I most definitely agree about the ticket prices but the performance I saw was anything but "lifeless" and that was with Sting fighting off the ravages of the flu (they canceled a show earlier that same week in Philly because of his illness). As for them being the same group they once were, who is? I damn sure wasn't expecting the Police of the mid-80s. When people traveled far and wide and paid through the nose to see Led Zeppelin late last year were they expecting to see them prancing around the stage like they were still in their early 20s? I very seriously doubt it. I hated to fork over $90 to see the Police from the nosebleed section but since I never got to see them back in the day I can't say I have any regrets.

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...