When Did Jimmy Have The Best Hair?

Iron Blimp

I saw them at the Garden in June of 1977 with 5 of my friends. To this day, I think JP's hair was frickin awesome and the biggest and coolest he ever had it. It was just 'right' for him then. 

He had many styles along his career so speak up and tell us what you thought was the best 'doo' he sported.

11 minutes ago, Iron Blimp said:

I saw them at the Garden in June of 1977 with 5 of my friends. To this day, I think JP's hair was frickin awesome and the biggest and coolest he ever had it. It was just 'right' for him then. 

He had many styles along his career so speak up and tell us what you thought was the best 'doo' he sported.

77?  Stringy and greasy, could use it in the dictionary picture for "junkie".  North America '73 was the coolest, hands-down, esp. July.

I love Jimmy's coif ALL through Zeppelin :wub:  and even into the mid 80s.  
He was going grey around the temples in the mid 80's and what not and
I thought he wore it so well.  Then around The Firm weird 80s perms and
dye jobs took over -  BAD.

I wish he would have let it just go au natural.  He got on a kick for the next
longggggg while and started to dye it.  Page and Plant era in the 90s sighhh
Jimmy.   :( 

I didn't start to like his hair again until he went all silver for the 02.  Now
with his cute little man bun or pony tail he wears I like his hair.  Jimmy just
looks like a distinguished  gent.  A rocker from the decadent music era of
60s-70s.  I think he looks wonderful for his age and a guy who lived his life
style. 

I'm good with beard and no beard.  Long or short hair.  My only nick is when
he felt the need to dye it jet black when he was obviously  going grey. 

67', 70', 73', 75', & post 2006 when he went natural. Though 73' was may favorite. 77'-83' he looked like shit, hair, everything, one foot in the grave, one on a a banana peel. 

it varies based on how it was styled, sometimes he would do a middle part, side part, sometimes he had bangs, sometimes pushed back or just let it do its own thing. I like 1970 the most because that was than it was its longest. there are so many good pictures it is hard to choose though.

outrider era was by far the worst imo.

Jimmy used to "primp" his hair with Miss Pamela's curling iron way back in 1969.  Jimmy used to spend hours in front of a mirror to make sure his "locks" were perfect before He went on-stage.  Supposedly, Richard Cole and Peter Grant used to refer to Jimmy as the "Ole Dame". 

"Is the Ole Dame ready for tonight's concert?"

Tell the "Ole Dame" that the cars are ready to leave for the gig. 

As far as immortal Greek God appearance, I go for 77', . Even then on smack apparenly Jimmy did the curls(or was he

so far gone , some chick did it ??) of course with this the dragon pants. Some shots, yeah stringy and greasy. Otherwise

I nominate 75', particularly EC. I'm not sure health would always be a factor, because the hair on your head is one

of the last things to fail on your body. Supposedly generally junkies don't like to bathe/shower because it is an

unpleasant experience., go figure.

21 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Jimmy used to "primp" his hair with Miss Pamela's curling iron way back in 1969.  Jimmy used to spend hours in front of a mirror to make sure his "locks" were perfect before He went on-stage.  Supposedly, Richard Cole and Peter Grant used to refer to Jimmy as the "Ole Dame". 

"Is the Ole Dame ready for tonight's concert?"

Tell the "Ole Dame" that the cars are ready to leave for the gig. 

I dont know about that being true as early as 1969. jimmys hair was pretty frizzy and natural early on. it wasn't until about 72 that he began styling it. if I recall correctly there is a picture in his book of him getting ready in a bathroom before a show or something like that. no curling iron in sight :lol:

4 hours ago, sk8rat said:

I dont know about that being true as early as 1969. jimmys hair was pretty frizzy and natural early on. it wasn't until about 72 that he began styling it. if I recall correctly there is a picture in his book of him getting ready in a bathroom before a show or something like that. no curling iron in sight :lol:

What I posted has to be true because I read it in the definitive Led Zeppelin biography titled, "Hammer of the Gods"  written by Stephen Davis and published way back in 1985. 

Yeah, Jimmy's EC look, I have seen in a few books( Luis Rey's, one example) that a lot of metal/hair metal  bands seem

to have copied that in the 80's. Some may say well, in the 70's many rockers had that style. MMMMM.......but nobody

owned it like Page., and he looked like he was born for that look.

Archived