The Complete BBC Sessions and possible How the West was Won reissue

Guest Shenouda5252@gmail.com

Guest Shenouda5252@gmail.com

The upcoming release of The Complete BBC Sessions got me thinking. In 2007 Jimmy rereleases The Song Remains the Same with previously unreleased tracks like Over the Hills and Far Away (although the rerelease was still missing the organ solo / Thank You of which the organ solo is ??). Then in 2014-2015 he rereleases all the studio albums with never before heard outtakes and mixes (of which my favorite would definitely have to be 10 Ribs & All Carrot Pod Pod (Pod) from the companion disc for Presence). Now it's 2016 and Jimmy is rereleasing BBC Sessions with a companion disc. Do you see the pattern? I think we're finally going to get to hear the missing tracks from How the West was Won in good quality. The Communication Breakdown from June 25th, 1972 is my personal favorite version. I don't know if any of you guys noticed but sometime around 1970 Jimmy started playing the chorus part of Communication Breakdown a little differently. The part when Robert goes "communication breakdown, it's always the same, I'm having a nervous breakdown drive me insane" in the studio version and in all the live versions on the Led Zeppelin DVD and all the live versions on BBC Sessions (except for the sample song from the new BBC Sessions companion disc that you can buy on iTunes right now) he plays the guitar part the normal way which is basically bar chord on the fifth alternating pinky on the ninth then bar chord on the seventh alternating pinky on the eleventh (see the Led Zeppelin Mothership tab book for a more detailed description). But on other live versions for example on the June 25th, 1972 and the blueberry hill version and the earl's court 1975 version the chorus part gets changed to something I haven't entirely figured out how to play yet. Anyways, I predict that How the West was Won is going to get rereleased sometime within the decade and we're going to finally get to hear good quality versions of the missing songs like Tangerine, Communication Breakdown, Louie Louie (I'm most excited about this one), and Thank You. What do you guys think? Will How the West was Won get a rerelease with the missing songs? 

Would be cool, but not sure if there is sufficient interest now for those. And yeah, Jimmy does make that guitar part 

different in CB, but actually unless I have a mislabeled 69' version, pretty sure he did that a few times earlier on too.

To my ears he's mixing up the bass notes AND the higher strings for a broader, fuller sound. A bit more complex.

9 hours ago, Shenouda5252@gmail.com said:

I don't know if any of you guys noticed but sometime around 1970 Jimmy started playing the chorus part of Communication Breakdown a little differently. The part when Robert goes "communication breakdown, it's always the same, I'm having a nervous breakdown drive me insane" in the studio version and in all the live versions on the Led Zeppelin DVD and all the live versions on BBC Sessions (except for the sample song from the new BBC Sessions companion disc that you can buy on iTunes right now) he plays the guitar part the normal way which is basically bar chord on the fifth alternating pinky on the ninth then bar chord on the seventh alternating pinky on the eleventh (see the Led Zeppelin Mothership tab book for a more detailed description). But on other live versions for example on the June 25th, 1972 and the blueberry hill version and the earl's court 1975 version the chorus part gets changed to something I haven't entirely figured out how to play yet. 

it's pretty simple. you can see part of what he is doing here at 1:04. although it would be much simpler to just learn what key the song is in and work from that imo. if you want to see straight forward shots, look up slash playing it. he does it the same way.

as for a htwww reissue, it may be a while. Im sure jimmy knows more than anyone that these are expensive and people arent going to want to buy  all of them back to back to back. I think he will quit after the bbc sessions and move on to the yardbirds stuff for a while.

I think he's saying no it will not be released in full. Just listen to Burn Like A Candle ( Genuine Masters DVD A) is perhaps the best, to appreciate just how good the band were in 1972. I bought HTWWW when it came out and promptly sold it the next day. I mean how Jimmy released that pile of shite is beyond me 

• 2 months later...
On 8/5/2016 at 5:29 AM, chillumpuffer said:

I think he's saying no it will not be released in full. Just listen to Burn Like A Candle ( Genuine Masters DVD A) is perhaps the best, to appreciate just how good the band were in 1972. I bought HTWWW when it came out and promptly sold it the next day. I mean how Jimmy released that pile of shite is beyond me 

Late I know but just saw your post. Could you expand on why you think it's shite? I'm genuinely interested. I also have Winston's How The West Was Redone and only listen to that version as it has none of Jimmy's 'tweaks'. Just interested as to why HTWWW is considered a poor release.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Jukkin said:

Late I know but just saw your post. Could you expand on why you think it's shite? I'm genuinely interested. I also have Winston's How The West Was Redone and only listen to that version as it has none of Jimmy's 'tweaks'. Just interested as to why HTWWW is considered a poor release.

Thanks.

Not only I consider it to be a poor release. I understand why he couldn't include the encores, mainly for copyright reasons, but leaving out Plants funny comments, the glaring omission of Thank You and having a sort of "canned crowd" makes this a real missed chance. OK it's from 2 shows but hey why not release both shows in full? He ain't short of a bob or too for any royalties !

Also the sound is just too clean for me. That is why I prefer the boot from the LA Forum show as you really get the atmosphere - I mean you can almost smell the grass being smoked at the show ! In summary it's horses for courses. I had Burn like A candle for years and when I heard HTWWW i was just underwhelmed. 

Yes, I agree:  HTWWW is far too clean, not enough crowd in the mix.  At least with Burn Like a Candle you get a feel for the concert.  Wish it was mixed a little bit more like The Song Remains the Same, where you hear the occasional whistle or yell from the crowd.

Archived