Prince's Trust Benefit: September 21, 1983

luvlz2

I did a search for pictures and articles (particularly of Jimmy Page) from the Prince's Trust Benefit in 1983 but didn't find much, but there are some big threads like Roger Berlin's that most likely has something so I'll look there too, such a treasure trove of material there. 

Jimmy Page's performance was on a bootleg (vinyl) called Lucifer Rising from The Amazing Kornyfone Record Label.  Listening to it, it's a totally stellar performance by Jimmy Page. Would love to see any articles and/or pictures.

Just to be clear, there were two Jimmy Page performances at the Royal Albert Hall in London in September 1983. The first, on Tue the 20th, benefited the Action For Multiple Sclerosis (ARMS) charity, while the second, on Wed the 21st, benefited The Prince's Trust. However, I've noticed thru the years both are often erroneously referred to online as "the UK ARMS tour". I think you'll find searching that term here and elsewhere will yield pictures from 9/21/83. I have quite a few I can post too.

16 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Just to be clear, there were two Jimmy Page performances at the Royal Albert Hall in London in September 1983. The first, on Tue the 20th, benefited the Action For Multiple Sclerosis (ARMS) charity, while the second, on Wed the 21st, benefited The Prince's Trust. However, I've noticed thru the years both are often erroneously referred to online as "the UK ARMS tour". I think you'll find searching that term here and elsewhere will yield pictures from 9/21/83. I have quite a few I can post too.

Which performance was the infamous shitty performance where Beck & Clapton had to jump in during STH and take the solo.

22 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Jimmy Page's performance was on a bootleg (vinyl) called Lucifer Rising from The Amazing Kornyfone Record Label.  Listening to it, it's a totally stellar performance by Jimmy Page..

After a little research I realize the above bootleg I was talking about (takrl 9001) is not from the Prince's Trust Benefit on the 21st, but was from the ARMS Benefit Concert the night before. I'm not sure any audio exists at all from the Prince's Trust Benefit Concert or video for that matter, at least I don't believe I have come across any ever.

As far as my memory serves, Jimmy Page was not a performer or a guest at the Prince's Trust Benefit in 1983.  Robert Plant was there and performed "Little Sister" and this song with Peter Townsend on guitar and Phil Collins on drums:

12 hours ago, IpMan said:

Which performance was the infamous shitty performance where Beck & Clapton had to jump in during STH and take the solo.

Clapton & Beck joined Page during STH at both UK shows and all six ARMS shows in the US, however he always performed the solo.

6 hours ago, kingzoso said:

As far as my memory serves, Jimmy Page was not a performer or a guest at the Prince's Trust Benefit in 1983.  Robert Plant was there and performed "Little Sister" and this song with Peter Townsend on guitar and Phil Collins on drums:

Just to clarify, the 9/21/83 show benefited The Prince's Trust but it was not the Prince's Trust Rock Gala. It was the same performers from 9/20/83 (the ARMS benefit concert) doing a second show to benefit The Prince's Trust.

The correct date for the Robert Plant Prince's Trust Rock Gala video clip/performance is July 21, 1982 at Dominion Theatre in London. He performed Worse Than Detroit/Wanna Take You Higher. It is correct that Jimmy Page did not participate.

Some of the better youtube footage of the night before at the Royal Albert Hall for the ARMS Concert. The way they do Who's to Blame, it's got to be my favorite live version hands down, Page is on fire! :nuke:

14 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Some of the better youtube footage of the night before at the Royal Albert Hall for the ARMS Concert. The way they do Who's to Blame, it's got to be my favorite live version hands down, Page is on fire! :nuke:

Despite watching this performance for more than 30 years now I STILL get tightness in my chest as I wonder if he'll make it through the set ok. God, what a great moment at 2:37...it's like he tells himself "I got this" and suddenly the stage becomes far too small for the kinetic energy he's channeling from within.  

Yeah, sure. That whole show, all of Prelude and the rest of the songs, Jimmy's rhythm guitar and little lead fills are

damn good. Actually he most likely worked out most of those parts, as he's not sloppy or really making mistakes.

Some of the US ARMS shows, Andy Fairweather-Low is covering/shadowing Page while he's doing some of his stage

antics. Page is very enthusiastic, but on some songs unlike the UK shows, he clearly hasn't locked in his parts and 

there are some rough spots. Could be nerves, too.... Jimmy clearly has/had a big problem with that. On some of 

the US ARMS shows, on a positive note, there were some signs of the old Jimmy.

16 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Yeah, sure. That whole show, all of Prelude and the rest of the songs, Jimmy's rhythm guitar and little lead fills are

damn good. Actually he most likely worked out most of those parts, as he's not sloppy or really making mistakes.

Some of the US ARMS shows, Andy Fairweather-Low is covering/shadowing Page while he's doing some of his stage

antics. Page is very enthusiastic, but on some songs unlike the UK shows, he clearly hasn't locked in his parts and there are some rough spots. Could be nerves, too.... Jimmy clearly has/had a big problem with that. On some of 

the US ARMS shows, on a positive note, there were some signs of the old Jimmy.

I have a poster that Myth Gem/Winterland began selling in stores circa 1985. It's a shot of Jimmy holding the double-neck aloft during the US ARMS tour (probably one of the four California shows) and in big bold letters across the top it says LED ZEPPELIN. It is so cool, because seeing it on the wall it doesn't take much more too imagine what could have been beyond 1980.

Well I saw that sight twice in the NYC ARMS shows, and the crowd was going berserk at that moment. Everyone was

mourning Jimmy's abscence and the Zep tragedy but also ecstatic that their mythical hero had finally returned. And all

the love from the crowd apparently made clear that the fans wanted Jimmy back, and Jimmy really got back into playing

at that point, supposedly.

I really enjoy the footage of Plant at the Princes Trust. Great band and performance, with Collins on fire and Townsend bopping about in the background. I love the ARMS and MTV Firm shows as well. Page is still thin and looks cool, and the ARMS stuff is my favourite footage of him post Zep. Fag dangling from his mouth as he plays Chopin at the Albert Hall. How can you top that!!!

Yeah that Plant set( I saw Plant live in 83')really showed Pant didn't have a problem staying on top after Zep. I too are 

fascinated by those ARMS shows. Saw two and Jimmy was really trying to show his eagerness to get back in the game.

if you saw the shows, Jimmy was even thinner than the.photos show. Because of this, Jimmy really stood out from the

others, along with the strange vibe which long term addicts/alcoholics sometimes have. According to Ronnie Lane,

Page did quit his heroin habit before the tour, but unfortunately he went on a considerably long alcohol and coke

bender. However this often happens (alcoholism in particular) to former opiate addicts. Well Jimmy came back 

and that's what ultimately matters.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:51 AM, Boleskinner said:

Little Sister was performed with Plant and Rockpile at the Concerts for the People of Kampuchea in 1979 at the Hammersmith Odeon; not in 1983.

Good and Nice Call.  Accordingly, my memory did not serve me correct.  You are right but regardless of my mistake, I Love My Memory...

On 8/25/2016 at 5:53 AM, SteveAJones said:

I have a poster that Myth Gem/Winterland began selling in stores circa 1985. It's a shot of Jimmy holding the double-neck aloft during the US ARMS tour (probably one of the four California shows) and in big bold letters across the top it says LED ZEPPELIN. It is so cool, because seeing it on the wall it doesn't take much more too imagine what could have been beyond 1980.

led-zeppelin-jimmy-page-1986-vintage-poster-24-x-36-winterland-b225f96f6aeef4ad67a576a66a8bba1d.jpg

^^^ Simon Phillips is one hell of a drummer, but he can't  play Zeppelin for shit! From 3:50 on is just painful to listen to. I actually think its worse than Phil Collins attempt to play Zeppelin at Live Aid. Losing John Bonham was much harder on Jimmy Page than Plant or Jones from a musical point of view IMO. They really had this guitar/drum connection that was unique to Zeppelin. It must have been devestating to Page as he's launching into the solo...and...the bottom drops out! 

I went to a Simon Phillips drum clinic, and I swear he told this story.  A fan asked him what it was like to be first drummer after Bonzo to play Stairway.  His answer was thus 

he said that Charlie Watts was supposed to be main drummer for that and at last moment bailed and said Simon you do it.  He was flying blind on Stairway so he said

he also did the funniest Page impersonation of all time the way he said Page came up to him during rehearsals 

"Simon I've got some crazy tunes for you!" All the while twitching and falling over and impersonating Jimmys nasal voice perfectly.  

19 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I went to a Simon Phillips drum clinic, and I swear he told this story.  A fan asked him what it was like to be first drummer after Bonzo to play Stairway.  His answer was thus 

he said that Charlie Watts was supposed to be main drummer for that and at last moment bailed and said Simon you do it.  He was flying blind on Stairway so he said

he also did the funniest Page impersonation of all time the way he said Page came up to him during rehearsals 

"Simon I've got some crazy tunes for you!" All the while twitching and falling over and impersonating Jimmys nasal voice perfectly.  

Just watched STH from the ARMS MSG show, and I must say that Simon Phillips was pretty damn good, he was bringin' it! Jimmy was a fuckin' mess though. 

Archived